PDA

View Full Version : Amish Girl and Freedom Dying of Cancer

Jeff
08-28-2013, 06:05 AM
This is a tough one and I am not sure where I stand here but am interested in what others think, should the state be able to take over and force this girl into treatments ?

Parents or doctors? Who has the trump card when it comes to their rights in treating a child patient? A 10-year-old Amish girl with Leukemia is in the middle of a legal battle between her parent’s and the hospital. When I read the headline, I assumed that the Amish parents didn’t want to use modern medicine because of their…Amish-ness, and that the hospital wanted to treat her. That’s not even the case, though.

http://genfringe.com/2013/08/amish-girl-and-freedom-dying-of-cancer/

Marcus Aurelius
08-28-2013, 07:00 AM
I think this last part pretty much covers it...

These parents, by all accounts, are good parents and they have the right to decide what form of medicine they give her daughter. If it’s not a situation of parental abuse or neglect, Americans should have the right to make healthcare choices about themselves and their children.
Read more at http://genfringe.com/2013/08/amish-girl-and-freedom-dying-of-cancer/#ZCZkrTzB1G5m8j02.99

These parents, by all accounts, are good parents and they have the right to decide what form of medicine they give her daughter. If it’s not a situation of parental abuse or neglect, Americans should have the right to make healthcare choices about themselves and their children.

Read more at http://genfringe.com/2013/08/amish-girl-and-freedom-dying-of-cancer/#ZCZkrTzB1G5m8j02.99

jafar00
08-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Isn't there a law about duty of care or something which would hold the parents liable and be charged with manslaughter for doing nothing to save their child?

Marcus Aurelius
08-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Isn't there a law about duty of care or something which would hold the parents liable and be charged with manslaughter for doing nothing to save their child?

Please show us all where the article says the parents want to do nothing to help save their child, dumb ass.

Marcus Aurelius
08-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Moot point...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/08/28/ohio-appeals-court-sides-with-hospital-that-wants-to-force-amish-girl-to-resume/?test=latestnews

An appeals court has sided with a hospital that wants to force a 10-year-old Amish girl to resume chemotherapy after her parents decided to stop the treatments.

Kathianne
08-29-2013, 12:47 AM
Moot point...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/08/28/ohio-appeals-court-sides-with-hospital-that-wants-to-force-amish-girl-to-resume/?test=latestnews

She's not dead, parents may appeal further. Not moot.

Fusco
08-29-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't think the parents should have to appeal. Its their descision, and their culture is so radically different from ours, including their medical beliefs.

DragonStryk72
08-29-2013, 06:12 PM
This is a tough one and I am not sure where I stand here but am interested in what others think, should the state be able to take over and force this girl into treatments ?

Parents or doctors? Who has the trump card when it comes to their rights in treating a child patient? A 10-year-old Amish girl with Leukemia is in the middle of a legal battle between her parent’s and the hospital. When I read the headline, I assumed that the Amish parents didn’t want to use modern medicine because of their…Amish-ness, and that the hospital wanted to treat her. That’s not even the case, though.

http://genfringe.com/2013/08/amish-girl-and-freedom-dying-of-cancer/

Gotta go with the parents here. Sorry, but this is not about saving the child. The hospital doesn't believe in homeopathic remedies, and the parents and child do. This is not about them being Amish, this is not about religion, it is about differing beliefs over the efficacy in treating cancer by homeopathic solutions vs radiological methods.

There are, but this isn't about whether the girl will be treated medically for her cancer, it's about how she will be treated medically for her cancer. Bear in mind as well, that they already tried chemo, and saw their daughter wasting away under it. Neither the parents, nor the child, want to continue that, especially since it didn't work.

At a certain point, this pervasive attitude of the state that it simply knows what's best for us is simply wrong, and this is one of those situations. When they have already tried it your way, been through it all, and then make the informed choice to attempt a different method, then your participation in the situation is simply over.

That's a matter of inherent rights.

Arbo
08-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Parents or doctors?

I think there are cases where parents are bad (and wrong) when it comes to some medical decisions for their children, but such cases seem to be the minority. I have known many people to go through chemo, it is a horrible and destructive process to the human body. And no doctor can say with certainty that there is a 85% chance of survival, every case is different.

In this case it seems the parents are right, and their rights are being violated. But government seems to be getting better and better at violating the rights of citizens.

jafar00
08-29-2013, 11:24 PM
There are, but this isn't about whether the girl will be treated medically for her cancer, it's about how she will be treated medically for her cancer. Bear in mind as well, that they already tried chemo, and saw their daughter wasting away under it. Neither the parents, nor the child, want to continue that, especially since it didn't work.

At a certain point, this pervasive attitude of the state that it simply knows what's best for us is simply wrong, and this is one of those situations. When they have already tried it your way, been through it all, and then make the informed choice to attempt a different method, then your participation in the situation is simply over.

That's a matter of inherent rights.

If they have already tried chemo then you have a point. Thanks for pointing that out.

DragonStryk72
08-30-2013, 12:46 AM
If they have already tried chemo then you have a point. Thanks for pointing that out.

No prob. A lot of people miss that point, because of the whole Amish bit, and assume that it is their beliefs that are holding them back. Sure, using the tech is a sin by their lifestyle, but letting a child because of that is even more wrong by their beliefs.

Marcus Aurelius
08-30-2013, 08:05 AM

If you'd bother to read the article BEFORE you post, you'd not look nearly as stupid as you usually do.

jafar00
08-30-2013, 02:27 PM
If you'd bother to read the article BEFORE you post, you'd not look nearly as stupid as you usually do.

At least I can admit that I am wrong from time to time.

Marcus Aurelius
08-30-2013, 02:28 PM
At least I can admit that I am wrong from time to time.

Now if you could just admit that Islam is a lie, your prophet was a pedophile, and that Islam is a violent cult, you'd be well on your way.