PDA

View Full Version : Misquote of King's speech removed from his memorial in time for 50th anniversary

Little-Acorn
08-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Looks like even the Obama administration finally became aware of the wrongly quoted lines from Dr. Martin Luther King, engraved on the side of his memorial in Washington DC.

Just in time.

---------------------------------------------

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/metro-news/2013/aug/26/king-memorial-not-only-controversial-monument-come/

King Memorial is not the only controversial monument to come to D.C.

Monday, August 26, 2013 - Metro News
by Susan L Ruth

WASHINGTON, August 26, 2013 — Celebrating the 50 year anniversary of the March on Washington and Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I have a Dream Speech,” tens of thousands of visitors descended on the National Mall this past weekend.

Visitors have flocked to the monument over the past few days for a variety of personal reasons, but few considered the controversy that has surrounded this monument since it was first conceived. The memorial is based on a line from King’s “I Have a Dream” speech: “Out of a mountain of despair, a stone of hope.” The most recent controversy over this monument surrounded a quote on the left side of the stone of hope. It was paraphrased from King’s “Drum Major” speech. It read, “”I was a drum major for justice, peace and righteousness.”

The actual words were “If you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice. Say that I was a drum major for peace. I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter.”

Critics have said that the removal of the word “if” changes the entire context. Most notably, poet Maya Angelou bluntly noted that without that word, the quote “makes Dr. Martin Luther King look like an arrogant twit.”

The sculptor was brought in to remove the quote from the statue in time for the 50th anniversary celebration.

Little-Acorn
08-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Misquotes in Washington DC are nothing new.

The Constitution itself is misquoted... and on the walls of Congress, no less.

I visited DC on a vacation last year, and found the so-called "General Welfare clause", a statement that Congress can spend tax money only on things that benefit all Americans equally (i.e. no special interests), mis-written on the wall inside the House of Representatives building on the Mall.

The altered quote says, "Congress shall have to power to provide for the General Welfare...", which is pretty much the opposite of what the Framers actually wrote and ratified.

See http://www.little-acorn.com/html/welfare.htm for a description of what the "General Welfare Clause" actually says and means.

Now that the misquote from Dr. King has been removed, how long will it be before the misquote of the Constitution is similarly removed or corrected?