PDA

View Full Version : Damn dogs

glockmail
08-28-2013, 11:17 PM
I have an agreement with a good friend to trade dog sitting when we go on our respective vacations. I have a 21# rescued terrier mix, well behaved, and he has a 60# rescued setter mix, "Vinnie" also well behaved (but a big dummie). :laugh:

This has been going well for nearly two years.

His daughter adopted another rescue dog, a ten year old female lab mix. A year later she moved to Wyoming, lives in an apartment, and can't have a dog, so now her parents, my friends, have two dogs. The "new" dog "Zoe" is a sweetie. Or so I thought.

She is a rescue dog because she had run away and could not be found by a previous owner. She's an escape artist and can wiggle out of a collar or harness. She now has not just one but two ID "chips". She dominates other dogs: a leader.

Both dogs were dropped off at my house at 8am last Friday, per prior agreement while the owners flew to Wyoming to visit said daughter. I'm not big on leashes, and walk my dog in the woods out back without a leash and have for years. Vinnie handles this arrangement well. I was warned about Zoe, so at 4pm, our usual walk time, I took all three, Zoe on a leash.

I have a glorified deer track through the dense woods and she got tangled up in dozens of trees. It was frustrating for the both of us.

We got back an hour later and at 5:30 I had to load some crap into my Jeep. Zoe escaped and takes Vinnie with her, and they bolt into the woods like their asses were on fire.

I'm not going into details, but I searched by foot, car, and my large network of neighbors and friends to find these two dogs. I walked at least ten miles through dense woods, thorns and poison ivy, and burned a half tank of gas. Nothing worked. 46 hours later they showed up on my front porch, exhausted and embarrassed. And of course dirty and stinky.

They slept for 2 days, basically, taking breaks to eat, drink, piss and shit. I cleaned their sorry asses up. Zoe appeared to be changed by the experience, hanging on me, under my desk at work, keeping me in her sight for three solid days.

"Oh, she was lovey-dovey."

My friends plane was delayed today coming back from Wyoming. Instead of getting back here to pick up the dogs at 4:45, they were two hours late. At noon I let the dogs out in the yard, no leash or fence, and they enjoyed the sun, rolling around in the grass. Then back in the house for more food and rest. At 4:00 pm I drove them to the town dog park to run around in a large fenced area. No leash from the car to the park. Vinnie chased a ball about a mile and Zoe watched, too lethargic to move fast.

I got back back home at 5:00, opened the rear hatch and the two dogs took off into the woods like their asses were on fire.

This was 15 fucking damn minutes after their owners were originally supposed to arrive.

Again I won't go into details, but the three of us searched, using the techniques and route learned by experience. No luck.

They returned back about 9 pm this evening. I was in the garage working hot metal and my wife found them in the front yard. She let them in the house to contain them. In the 30 seconds that they were there, on the way to the basement they deposited more dirt than a tornado. I called my fiend up and told him to bring his dirty car and pick them up.

red state
08-28-2013, 11:41 PM
No good deed ever goes unpunished!!! HA!!!! Great story! Next time, tie them to the bumper first and run all the "GO" out of 'em. HA!!! I had a dog like that one time. Loved to hunt but was scared to death of a car. I broke her after a day of hunting by calling her but she'd hold back 50 yards or so but would follow if I started to leave. I eventually acted as if I were leaving her and she'd really get to worrying when I'd go out of sight (over the hill or around the curve). When her (their) tongue is about a foot and a half long and getting tangled up in there stride, it is time to see if they've figured it out. She did....and it stuck with her. Of course, you said one of your friends dogs are dumb as a brick so it may not work. Worth a shot though....just don't tell them how you broke him. HA!!!

Great post!!!

Thanks!

Kathianne
08-29-2013, 12:42 AM
I don't think I posted this, but back in June, I watched my friends and daughter's dogs for near 2 weeks while they were in Hawaii. Really, few issues, but Chicago weather being what it is, we had a spell of bad rain storms in afternoons. The first Wednesday, I thought to myself, maybe I should cut the grass? Looked in shed and garage, no lawn mower. OK, let that go.

Went to work at 3:30, got home at 11:30pm, fed the 3 of them and went into hot tub. Fell asleep in den, watching TV. Daphne's whining woke me at 7 and I let them out to fenced yard, gave them water and back to sleep. An hour later, despite my hearing loss, heard screams! Seems the lawn guys weren't used to dealing with full throttle, Dane, Rottweiler, and Pit Bull. LOL! Sweetest dogs, seriously the fact that the lawn guys woke me up while in the back yard, confirm that. Though I guess I wouldn't want to have been them seeing those 3 coming. LOL!

glockmail
08-29-2013, 07:37 AM
I rarely walk my dog on a leash. Over the ten years that she's been with me we've walked literally thousands of miles in my local woods, on hiking trails, on backpack trips, the Appalachian trail....

Vinnie just hangs with me when he's here, orbiting around me, 100 feet ahead, speeding past me to 100 feet behind, and the same thing right-left. He loves to run.

Zoe's a sneaky little bitch. Last night when I had her in the garage she went through the small dog door to the rest of the house.

WiccanLiberal
09-15-2013, 02:42 PM
I don't think I posted this, but back in June, I watched my friends and daughter's dogs for near 2 weeks while they were in Hawaii. Really, few issues, but Chicago weather being what it is, we had a spell of bad rain storms in afternoons. The first Wednesday, I thought to myself, maybe I should cut the grass? Looked in shed and garage, no lawn mower. OK, let that go.

Went to work at 3:30, got home at 11:30pm, fed the 3 of them and went into hot tub. Fell asleep in den, watching TV. Daphne's whining woke me at 7 and I let them out to fenced yard, gave them water and back to sleep. An hour later, despite my hearing loss, heard screams! Seems the lawn guys weren't used to dealing with full throttle, Dane, Rottweiler, and Pit Bull. LOL! Sweetest dogs, seriously the fact that the lawn guys woke me up while in the back yard, confirm that. Though I guess I wouldn't want to have been them seeing those 3 coming. LOL!

Reminds me of V4R trying to get his friend's pool business going for him. He was called out to do a pool cleaning and when he got to the front door and knocked only the screen door was closed. As he looked down the hall, he saw two sets of eyes that suddenly started to get closer. Two huge pit bulls were charging the door. He backed up and ended up flat on his back with the dogs on top of him, slobbering him to death. Out comes the owner. Stands there and says, "Second damned door they did that to." Dogs were sweeties but obviously regarded screen doors as an unnecessary encumbrance.

red states rule
09-15-2013, 02:47 PM
http://jokideo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/602929_448405355233512_1853567694_n.jpg

logroller
09-15-2013, 03:34 PM
http://jokideo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/602929_448405355233512_1853567694_n.jpg
That's a big dog.

red states rule
09-15-2013, 03:36 PM
and this is a big dog as well

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6594806784/h0518698E/

Arbo
09-15-2013, 05:23 PM
On occasion my dog feel's it worth it jump the underground fence, to head out and roll in shit and anything dead she can find. It got to the point that when she does it I don't bother to go looking anymore. Either she will be back (needing a bath) or she won't.

red states rule
09-16-2013, 02:08 AM
That's a big dog.

http://assets.dogtime.com/asset/image/4f9670c9eadf725ead0004a6/column_dog-picture-photo-huge-black-dog-woman.jpg