PDA

View Full Version : analysis finds premiums higher under Obamacare as employers weigh dropping coverage

Marcus Aurelius
08-29-2013, 11:15 AM
http://www.nationaljournal.com/domesticpolicy/obama-s-affordable-care-act-looking-a-bit-unaffordable-20130829

Republicans have long blamed President Obama's signature health care initiative for increasing insurance costs, dubbing it the "Unaffordable Care Act."

Turns out, they might be right.
For the vast majority of Americans, premium prices will be higher in the individual exchange than what they're currently paying for employer-sponsored benefits, according to a National Journal analysis of new coverage and cost data. Adding even more out-of-pocket expenses to consumers' monthly insurance bills is a swell in deductibles under the Affordable Care Act.

The number of employers offering coverage has declined, from 66 percent in 2003 to 57 percent today, according to Kaiser's study.

The cost of care in the new market doesn't stack up. A single wage earner must make less than $20,000 to see his or her current premiums drop or stay the same under Obamacare, an independent review by National Journal found. That's equivalent to approximately 34 percent of all single workers in the U.S. seeing any benefit in the new system. For those seeking family-of-four coverage under the ACA, about 43 percent will see cost savings. Families must earn less than or equal to $62,300, or they, too, will be looking at a bigger bill.

On average, a worker paid between $862 and $1,065 per year for single coverage in 2013, according to Kaiser's numbers. For the average family plan, defined as a family of four, insurance cost between $4,226 and $5,284.

Fewer than half of all families and only a third of single workers would qualify for enough Obamacare tax subsidies to pay within or below those averages next year.

Perhaps the biggest obstacle Obamacare faces today isn't getting people in the system, but making sure those who do get in actually receive affordable care.

what a clusterfuck.

Truth Detector
08-29-2013, 12:50 PM
The ONLY ones who should be shocked and surprised by this are the brain dead sheeple who elected this inept buffoon to the Presidency. But then, since when did low information voters THINK?

red states rule
09-01-2013, 05:56 AM
I see the Obama lap dogs and big supporters of the Obama Exchanges are ignoring this thread

Situation normal

http://obamacare411.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/varvel_obamacare.jpg

red states rule
09-04-2013, 04:34 PM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/holb_c11192120130903120100.jpg

Arbo
09-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Anyone that did not think or believe that adding 20+ million people into the system wouldn't raise rates, was not thinking realistically. You don't take care of 'more' by spending 'less'. As Clinton said, the math doesn't add up.

But there is a lot worse to come from the ACA than just higher rates. Quality and availability of care is going to drop. Government payouts for certain imaging procedures has been dropping for years, it's to the point that many systems are sitting unused more than they get used. And imaging is one of the BEST preventative measures and diagnostic tools we have in health care for most things. I work in the field, I see the effect every day.

tailfins
09-04-2013, 05:08 PM
On average, a worker paid between $862 and $1,065 per year for single coverage in 2013, according to Kaiser's numbers. For the average family plan, defined as a family of four, insurance cost between $4,226 and $5,284.

Fewer than half of all families and only a third of single workers would qualify for enough Obamacare tax subsidies to pay within or below those averages next year.

WOW! That's cheap. It's open enrollment for the consulting company I work for. My wife is showing gallstone symptoms, I might have to sign up for this:

$1,437 per month.

Blue Cross Blue Shield RI ($1,000 deductible)
Monthly Weekly

Family Plans 1,437.92 331.83

Single Plans 582.34 134.39

Blue Cross Blue Shield RI ($2,000 deductible) Monthly Weekly

Family Plans 1,294.84 298.81

Single Plans 524.39 121.01