PDA

View Full Version : Personal attacks, sniping and completely off topic posts

jimnyc
09-06-2013, 05:41 PM
It's cropping up again and I don't want to be dealing with 9,000 reported posts and endless PM's asking people to reel things back or try to ignore one another.

Political and other discussions around the board - place someone on ignore if you don't like them. Simply don't reply to their post if you don't like them. Bottom line - we will move posts without warning and thread ban members from threads that are repeat offenders.

Steel Cage - avoid this whole problem by posting issues with one another down there. This doesn't mean fight with them until a thread is moved and then continue down there, it means starting AND leaving it down there.

If members like this board, they will follow these rules/requests and make it good for everyone, by having their good debates AND the fighting, just in appropriate places. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why one can't separate the two and keep the rest of the board somewhat clean while taking personal problems to the cage.

hjmick
09-06-2013, 06:58 PM
HEY YOU!

YEAH, YOU!

Post like your momma's gonna read it...

tailfins
09-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Spending more time starting threads and less responding to the cross-talk tends to reduce shouting matches. Ignore only works if you log in.

Kathianne
09-06-2013, 07:20 PM
HEY YOU!

YEAH, YOU!

Post like your momma's gonna read it...

I'm not saying that sometimes folks don't lose it, I have. There are times or people that just beg for attack. However, most of the time I would think that folks are here to discuss, argue, or learn. Lately that's not the case.

If someone new joins and in the first few posts starts a troll thread, I get that. It will be awhile before I read much of their stuff. They can do what they like, but I will not interface with them, thus no problem for me.

That today has mostly been in the cage? This I'm pretty sure is my first post. Like most everyone else, there are other places for time to spend.

This week has been full of important topics for our nation and certainly for politics. Here? Flamming and chest thumping. If it weren't that there are many people that post here that I've 'known' for years, I would only be here rarely. As it is, I check new posts pretty frequently. At one point today, there were 13 'new posts', all in the cage. Nothing on the open boards. I just marked 'read' and moved on.

Jeff
09-07-2013, 12:09 AM
It's cropping up again and I don't want to be dealing with 9,000 reported posts and endless PM's asking people to reel things back or try to ignore one another.

Political and other discussions around the board - place someone on ignore if you don't like them. Simply don't reply to their post if you don't like them. Bottom line - we will move posts without warning and thread ban members from threads that are repeat offenders.

Steel Cage - avoid this whole problem by posting issues with one another down there. This doesn't mean fight with them until a thread is moved and then continue down there, it means starting AND leaving it down there.

If members like this board, they will follow these rules/requests and make it good for everyone, by having their good debates AND the fighting, just in appropriate places. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why one can't separate the two and keep the rest of the board somewhat clean while taking personal problems to the cage.

Why would anyone report a post ? This must come from the same people that had to tell the teacher when they where being picked on back in school :laugh: , man if ya don't like it ignore it and if ya can't do that throw the guilty party ( the big meanie that isn't playing nice with you ) on Ignore, how simple is that ? personally I don't use the ignore feature because most of the trolls are actually fun to watch as they crash and burn.

When a new troll joins the board ( like we have now ) and he/ she it tries so hard to be smart or tries so hard to put others down if ya just ignore the idiot it will leave , when ya give it all the attention it will stay , and if ya just sit back and watch they become fun to watch as they try so hard to get a rise out of someone on the board and when they don't get it then they will try others until they realize no one will play there game and they move on, remember people choose your battles and think if they are even worth debating

And just to be completely honest I did report one post , and where it asked why, I posted just to see if it worked ( I was half kidding around and the other half of me thought what a waste no one would ever use that option ) it was my own post that I reported if I remember right but that was when i realized some weasels actually used it because dmp wasn't amused at all and I think Abbey was the one that answered me ( sorry Abbey ) so why make things harder on those that are Mods I mean I know they make so much money but heck no need to make them work harder.

Jeff
09-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Why would anyone report a post ? This must come from the same people that had to tell the teacher when they where being picked on back in school :laugh: , man if ya don't like it ignore it and if ya can't do that throw the guilty party ( the big meanie that isn't playing nice with you ) on Ignore, how simple is that ? personally I don't use the ignore feature because most of the trolls are actually fun to watch as they crash and burn.

When a new troll joins the board ( like we have now ) and he/ she it tries so hard to be smart or tries so hard to put others down if ya just ignore the idiot it will leave , when ya give it all the attention it will stay , and if ya just sit back and watch they become fun to watch as they try so hard to get a rise out of someone on the board and when they don't get it then they will try others until they realize no one will play there game and they move on, remember people choose your battles and think if they are even worth debating

And just to be completely honest I did report one post , and where it asked why, I posted just to see if it worked ( I was half kidding around and the other half of me thought what a waste no one would ever use that option ) it was my own post that I reported if I remember right but that was when i realized some weasels actually used it because dmp wasn't amused at all and I think Abbey was the one that answered me ( sorry Abbey ) so why make things harder on those that are Mods I mean I know they make so much money but heck no need to make them work harder.

OOO NO I got a negative rep :laugh: but that's OK I knew who i was calling a weasel right from the start

OK I stand corrected if we want things to work right we need to report post, nope don't ignore them , nope don't put the offending party on Ignore , nope don't watch the troll hang himself we must report the post , Geez I guess in some small cities the people are just whining little trolls

Kathianne
09-07-2013, 12:38 AM
OOO NO I got a negative rep :laugh: but that's OK I knew who i was calling a weasel right from the start

OK I stand corrected if we want things to work right we need to report post, nope don't ignore them , nope don't put the offending party on Ignore , nope don't watch the troll hang himself we must report the post , Geez I guess in some small cities the people are just whining little trolls

If the site were 'booming' this wouldn't be an issue, it would self-correct. Right now, that's not where this site is, indeed the past few days have been dominated by troll and reactionaries. None are serving the cause well. If the cause is to keep the site viable.

Jeff
09-07-2013, 12:41 AM
If the site were 'booming' this wouldn't be an issue, it would self-correct. Right now, that's not where this site is, indeed the past few days have been dominated by troll and reactionaries. None are serving the cause well. If the cause is to keep the site viable.

I hear ya Kat and agree , I tried to just ignore and even offered that advice to others but it just doesn't work out sometimes, I will have to try harder to just ignore, guess sometimes we all can be pushed to being a ass

Arbo
09-07-2013, 12:58 AM
I would think that folks are here to discuss, argue, or learn. Lately that's not the case.

From what I understand, via a brief discussion with another member, it is has been a lot longer than 'lately'.

logroller
09-07-2013, 02:01 AM
From what I understand, via a brief discussion with another member, it is has been a lot longer than 'lately'.
I suppose it depends on how you define lately-- kathianne has been here a long time, so "lately" could be months or years. But I think she was just being gentle, so as not to say, "this place has been crap for years."

Oh whoops, did I mix up the quote punctuation....perhaps we should focus on creating a style sheet to eliminate sniping grammar. :laugh:

hjmick
09-07-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm not saying that sometimes folks don't lose it, I have. There are times or people that just beg for attack. However, most of the time I would think that folks are here to discuss, argue, or learn. Lately that's not the case.

If someone new joins and in the first few posts starts a troll thread, I get that. It will be awhile before I read much of their stuff. They can do what they like, but I will not interface with them, thus no problem for me.

That today has mostly been in the cage? This I'm pretty sure is my first post. Like most everyone else, there are other places for time to spend.

This week has been full of important topics for our nation and certainly for politics. Here? Flamming and chest thumping. If it weren't that there are many people that post here that I've 'known' for years, I would only be here rarely. As it is, I check new posts pretty frequently. At one point today, there were 13 'new posts', all in the cage. Nothing on the open boards. I just marked 'read' and moved on.

It seems as if you and I are in the same pattern.

I like the slower pace of DP, but the childish sniping and bullying is more noticeable, and more annoying, due to the lack of other distractions. You and I have been members here for about the same amount of time and I think you would agree that it has really only been a noteworthy issue in the last few months. Shortly after Robert joined perhaps? Sure, there were issues with a couple of folks a few years back, but once they were asked to leave, things settled down.

The shame of it is, we seem to see less and less of some members (Gabo comes to mind... sure, she's annoying, but she was an opposing point of view for most of us and entertaining to poke) and I believe the forum suffers for it.

They would be wrong.

tailfins
09-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Don't underestimate the value of "Let it be". Every forum has its own culture. Just go where ever suits your mood and don't try to change anything.

If you ignore the Catholic references, this is a pretty good song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytu3yEE9ACE

jimnyc
09-07-2013, 09:57 AM

It was all on the board originally, just moved to the cage. And I agree, the center of discussions around here shouldn't be fighting, but rather about the shit storm brewing around the entire world right now. But if I can ask, and certainly not just of you - we should all start new threads or in current threads, and try to continue to discuss that storm and push the fighting aside.

Reporting posts can be a good thing so long as used as intended. For example, if someone comes in and spams links. We may not know of it as we don't read every thread, but a reported post will guarantee that staff is aware of it. And that same idea should apply to all "problems" on the board. The issue is 'what' is a problem.

And honestly, I don't think our newest member is a troll. I've seen him make quite a few posts that were spot on and/or on topic. I think the issue is that he got into fights fairly early and has given back as much as he has received. When a new member, although replying equally to a few, it gets magnified.

Hey! We are viable, woman! LOL We've always had our bumps and ups/downs. One member will never make us, nor break us.

ANY member can make this board what they want by using the ignore button appropriately. Yes, I know you can still see things quoted by others, but the majority is gone with the ignore button. Hitting that button is also a huge step in one saying that they don't want part of the crap too. If one is true about using that feature, they should just be able to ignore what they do see beyond that. A member only replies when they WANT to reply.

If a lesson is needed in how to place others on ignore and not taking bait - see "Gaffer" and he'll explain it. :)

I suppose it depends on how you define lately-- kathianne has been here a long time, so "lately" could be months or years. But I think she was just being gentle, so as not to say, "this place has been crap for years."

Oh whoops, did I mix up the quote punctuation....perhaps we should focus on creating a style sheet to eliminate sniping grammar. :laugh:

You saying we've been crap for years, bastard? :grenade:

tailfins
09-07-2013, 10:05 AM
ANY member can make this board what they want by using the ignore button appropriately. Yes, I know you can still see things quoted by others, but the majority is gone with the ignore button. Hitting that button is also a huge step in one saying that they don't want part of the crap too. If one is true about using that feature, they should just be able to ignore what they do see beyond that. A member only replies when they WANT to reply.

If a lesson is needed in how to place others on ignore and not taking bait - see "Gaffer" and he'll explain it. :)

Or you can just decide "not worth the bother" then move on to the next post. I log in about 50% of the time. If there's nothing worth responding to or you have nothing interesting to post, why bother logging in?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-07-2013, 10:20 AM
From what I understand, via a brief discussion with another member, it is has been a lot longer than 'lately'. This is interesting and why would the opinion of one other member give you such a strong urge to reform the board ? Are you saying Jim had no control or was too lax in his oversight of this board? And why would you think you are so important as to mix in to straighten things out. For mix you surely have and did so rather quickly. As always there is the cage ,feel free to post there , as Jim has kindly suggested. Otherwise the Mods here were doing a good job and Jim didn't ignore the forum that I am aware of so why the call for your specific ideas of reform here? Are you saying Jim and admin here was too ignorant to see or correct a problem? That's some kind of ego you are displaying if that is the case IMHO. -Tyr

logroller
09-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Just so you're all aware, this bullwhip (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?42839-An-example-of-off-topic) is what this thread is all about. To the cage.

Marcus Aurelius
09-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Don't underestimate the value of "Let it be". Every forum has its own culture. Just go where ever suits your mood and don't try to change anything.

If you ignore the Catholic references, this is a pretty good song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytu3yEE9ACE

why ignore the Catholic references. Words of wisdom are words of wisdom.

aboutime
09-07-2013, 06:55 PM

IT'S A BEATLES SONG. I do believe Paul wrote it. They all sang it. Why does anyone need to question, or insert references to Catholics because of a few words?

No wonder the world is so screwed up. Everything, anyone does, writes, says, sings, thinks, or Exhales....is questioned, and needs to be explained to impress, or remove the made-up insults???

Marcus Aurelius
09-09-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=662646#post662646)

IT'S A BEATLES SONG. I do believe Paul wrote it. They all sang it. Why does anyone need to question, or insert references to Catholics because of a few words?

No wonder the world is so screwed up. Everything, anyone does, writes, says, sings, thinks, or Exhales....is questioned, and needs to be explained to impress, or remove the made-up insults???

AT,

Of COURSE it's a Beatles song (I still have all my vinyl LP's, every Beatles album released in the US, about 1/2 originals). My point was, Lennon and McCartney wrote a number of very obvious Catholic references into the lyrics, so why ignore them, just because they are Catholic references?

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me

And when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be
I wake up to the sound of music,
Mother Mary comes to me

Abbey Marie
09-09-2013, 11:53 AM

Yeah, and I'm still pissed about that! And why do you hate your brother? ;)

Abbey Marie
09-09-2013, 11:58 AM
AT,

Of COURSE it's a Beatles song (I still have all my vinyl LP's, every Beatles album released in the US, about 1/2 originals). My point was, Lennon and McCartney wrote a number of very obvious Catholic references into the lyrics, so why ignore them, just because they are Catholic references?

Of course, some people thought that Mother Mary was a marijuana reference. :dunno:

Marcus Aurelius
09-09-2013, 12:24 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=663075#post663075)
AT,

Of course, some people thought that Mother Mary was a marijuana reference. :dunno:

As in 'Mary Jane'. interesting. I'd never heard that reference regarding Let It Be.

In any case, we are both apparently wrong..... but maybe not. Many artists say their songs are about whatever the listener wants them to be about. You mentioned the pot reference... I see the Catholicism reference... Paul had his own reference in mind, it seems...

http://mattandjojang.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/the-story-behind-paul-mccartneys-song-let-it-be/

The Story Behind Paul McCartney’s Song: “Let It Be.”
Then one night, somewhere between deep sleep and insomnia, I had the most comforting dream about my mother, who died when I was only 14. She had been a nurse, my mum, and very hardworking, because she wanted the best for us. We weren’t a well-off family- we didn’t have a car, we just about had a television – so both of my parents went out to work, and Mum contributed a good half to the family income. At night when she came home, she would cook, so we didn’t have a lot of time with each other. But she was just a very comforting presence in my life. And when she died, one of the difficulties I had, as the years went by, was that I couldn’t recall her face so easily. That’s how it is for everyone, I think. As each day goes by, you just can’t bring their face into your mind, you have to use photographs and reminders like that.
So in this dream twelve years later, my mother appeared, and there was her face, completely clear, particularly her eyes, and she said to me very gently, very reassuringly: “Let it be.”
It was lovely. I woke up with a great feeling. It was really like she had visited me at this very difficult point in my life and gave me this message: Be gentle, don’t fight things, just try and go with the flow and it will all work out.