PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Osprey

SassyLady
09-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Went down to the river today and walking along the beach saw an unusual sight. A raptor sitting on the ground. I was able to walk right up to it and the only thing moving was it's eyes. Upon closer inspection could not readily see anything physically wrong with it. About a half hour later on my way back up the beach it was still sitting there in same position. So, I called the bird rescue people and they contacted a volunteer who said they would be out as soon as possible. From the description I gave they thought it might be a red-tailed hawk. After about 30 minutes I felt that I needed to go back to the bird and make sure it was OK.

Sadly, when I walked up to it she has fallen over and laying on her back with her wings spread. She had been sitting in the sun so I thought I would try and move her to the shade. I gently folded up her wings, picked her up and carried her back to our shady spot. As I was putting her down on the towel she had a seizure and then passed away as I was holding her.

About 20 minutes later the rescue person showed up and immediately told us it was an Osprey and that they are prone to "impact trauma" which is caused from diving. Apparently she must have dove into the river to get a fish and hit something that was submerged. I told him that she was no where near the water and was dry. He said she might have had enough reflex motion to get her away but that the trauma finally caught up with her. Said she might have had a spinal injury and that was why she couldn't move and just fell over.

She was absolutely beautiful and it was extremely distressing to have her die before he could get her help. He said I was very brave to pick her up and help her but I could only follow my heart and instincts to help a wounded creature. At least she didn't die alone and was taken away by someone who would give her the dignity she deserved.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Went down to the river today and walking along the beach saw an unusual sight. A raptor sitting on the ground. I was able to walk right up to it and the only thing moving was it's eyes. Upon closer inspection could not readily see anything physically wrong with it. About a half hour later on my way back up the beach it was still sitting there in same position. So, I called the bird rescue people and they contacted a volunteer who said they would be out as soon as possible. From the description I gave they thought it might be a red-tailed hawk. After about 30 minutes I felt that I needed to go back to the bird and make sure it was OK.

Sadly, when I walked up to it she has fallen over and laying on her back with her wings spread. She had been sitting in the sun so I thought I would try and move her to the shade. I gently folded up her wings, picked her up and carried her back to our shady spot. As I was putting her down on the towel she had a seizure and then passed away as I was holding her.

About 20 minutes later the rescue person showed up and immediately told us it was an Osprey and that they are prone to "impact trauma" which is caused from diving. Apparently she must have dove into the river to get a fish and hit something that was submerged. I told him that she was no where near the water and was dry. He said she might have had enough reflex motion to get her away but that the trauma finally caught up with her. Said she might have had a spinal injury and that was why she couldn't move and just fell over.

She was absolutely beautiful and it was extremely distressing to have her die before he could get her help. He said I was very brave to pick her up and help her but I could only follow my heart and instincts to help a wounded creature. At least she didn't die alone and was taken away by someone who would give her the dignity she deserved.

546254635464 Sad ending. A word of caution about picking up such injured birds of prey. They have wickedly sharp claws and beaks . If they get you it'll be very bad. However was brave and compassionate to care for the bird. You did well but sometimes things are just not meant to be. --Tyr

SassyLady
09-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Sad ending. A word of caution about picking up such injured birds of prey. They have wickedly sharp claws and beaks . If they get you it'll be very bad. However was brave and compassionate to care for the bird. You did well but sometimes things are just not meant to be. --Tyr

When I first came upon the osprey I gave her a wide berth and decided to let nature take it's course. However, upon reflection I knew I had to do something, and knew I didn't have the necessary equipment to get the bird to help, which is why I called the bird rescue people. When I walked back and saw her upside down I knew she was in distress and I approached her cautiously to make sure she wasn't going to strike. All I can say is that I felt like I had to help her and I guess my guardian angels were taking care of me.

Plus, I am a farm girl and have been around animals my entire life and quite a few of them have been injured so I do have some experience. I think I instinctively knew this bird was so injured that she couldn't protect herself and that I needed to protect her. I just wish I had got to her sooner.

Jeff
09-09-2013, 04:15 AM
How sad, those birds are beautiful, I think ( after the bird died naturally ) I would of brought it to a taxidermist and had it mounted , I would love to have one mounted with its wings spread wide open but could never kill one so that would of been the only way to get one.

aboutime
09-09-2013, 01:51 PM
How sad, those birds are beautiful, I think ( after the bird died naturally ) I would of brought it to a taxidermist and had it mounted , I would love to have one mounted with its wings spread wide open but could never kill one so that would of been the only way to get one.

Jeff. Great idea, but I believe those birds are a Protected Species under law. And having them stuffed, or mounted by a Taxidermist is Illegal. Not sure. But I do believe it is protected.

Little-Acorn
09-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Sad ending. A word of caution about picking up such injured birds of prey. They have wickedly sharp claws and beaks . If they get you it'll be very bad. However was brave and compassionate to care for the bird. You did well but sometimes things are just not meant to be. --Tyr

They are indeed beautiful.

But they also frequently carry lice.

Jeff
09-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Jeff. Great idea, but I believe those birds are a Protected Species under law. And having them stuffed, or mounted by a Taxidermist is Illegal. Not sure. But I do believe it is protected.

I know you can't kill them ( even if a person wanted to ) but I figured with the volunteer there and knowing it died naturally it would be OK, maybe not I have no idea, but there is always a taxidermist that will mount it

Missileman
09-09-2013, 06:51 PM
I know you can't kill them ( even if a person wanted to ) but I figured with the volunteer there and knowing it died naturally it would be OK, maybe not I have no idea, but there is always a taxidermist that will mount it

You have to have a permit to possess even a feather from a bird of prey. I have no idea how hard they are to come by for non-Native Americans.

SassyLady
09-11-2013, 12:40 AM
She went to the bird rescue and I really don't know what they did with her. I believe the volunteer said they would examine her to determine what the cause of death was and that he could only speculate, from what we told him the symptoms were, that she had suffered impact trauma. I wanted one of the feathers to add to my collection but didn't feel right about taking one. This was another reason we were baffled about what happened to her ... there were no loose feathers around the area. We must have come upon her not long after she injured herself. No signs of struggle.

I was so sad to see something so beautiful die in my hands that I just wanted to give her as much dignity as I was able to give.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-12-2013, 11:52 AM
You have to have a permit to possess even a feather from a bird of prey. I have no idea how hard they are to come by for non-Native Americans.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/12/nation/la-na-nn-native-american-eagle-feathers-20121012
Feds to broaden Native Americans' right to possess eagle feathers

October 12, 2012|By Danielle Ryan WASHINGTON — The Department of Justice announced a new policy broadening and clarifying the right of Native Americans to possess eagle feathers and other parts of the birds that they consider sacred but are protected by U.S. law.

Federal wildlife laws prohibit the killing of eagles and the possession and commercialization of their feathers. While certain members of Indian tribes have been exempted, the wildlife laws have been a source of confusion among some tribes that feared prosecution for carrying out their customs and traditions.