PDA

View Full Version : Bought a couple new knives

jimnyc
09-07-2013, 10:50 AM
I have tons and tons of knives. Nothing spectacular, mostly cheapies even, just like them! I like "Mtech" as they are cheaply priced but last long. I just bought these 2, the Marines one is small, but I love it!

MTECH Tactical Black Stilettohttp://imageshack.us/a/img41/839/12v0.jpg

Mtech Marinehttp://imageshack.us/a/img21/8184/vqqo.jpg

hjmick
09-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I like knives. Wife got me a Ka-Bar Fighter a couple of years ago. Very nice.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Sold 99% of my knife collection back in the early 90's. Nice knives Jim. I managed to keep 7 really nice ones(hunting knives) and about ten good pocket knives. Still carry one small but very nice pocket knife given to me on my 14th birthday . I've managed to never lose it or let it be stolen over these 45 long years since getting it. Sure wish I had my collection but life is like that ---you can't keep everything! Too much stuff is a hard burden on a young man.. :laugh:-Tyr

Kathianne
09-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Silly me, thought this was going to be on cooking. :cheers2:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Silly me, thought this was going to be on cooking. :cheers2: I thought Jim was going commando on us ... :laugh:

gabosaurus
09-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Don't allow your kid to bring them to school.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/1-dead-2-injured-in-stabbing-at-Spring-High-4785678.php

jimnyc
09-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Nah, the boy won't be getting near any of my knives! Most are locked up in my tool boxes, and I keep one or 2 handy for general use, the smaller utility knife types. Even those I don't just leave lying around.

gabosaurus
09-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Nah, the boy won't be getting near any of my knives! Most are locked up in my tool boxes, and I keep one or 2 handy for general use, the smaller utility knife types. Even those I don't just leave lying around.

Don't allow the wife near them, either. Especially after an argument. :eek:

jimnyc
09-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Don't allow the wife near them, either. Especially after an argument. :eek:

No doubt, she worries me more than the boy, and has access to the much larger kitchen knives! Our gun safe requires 2 keys for entry, I hid one from the crazy lady!! :laugh2:

gabosaurus
09-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Why would she need a gun? All she needs is a large knife and a sleeping husband. :death:

jimnyc
09-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Why would she need a gun? All she needs is a large knife and a sleeping husband. :death:

As Metallica sang: "Sleep with one eye open, gripping your pillow tight..."

gabosaurus
09-07-2013, 05:47 PM
As Metallica sang: "Sleep with one eye open, gripping your pillow tight..."

It's not your pillow that you need to grip tight... :eek:

jimnyc
09-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Oh no, I'm in trouble now! The woman just came upstairs and was holding both keys to the cabinet and laughing at me. I made up my story of course, but now she's got both keys in hand (looking for revenge?) LOL I gotta remember that she sometimes reads the site! :coffee:

jimnyc
09-07-2013, 05:54 PM
It's not your pillow that you need to grip tight... :eek:

Dirty woman :poke:

logroller
09-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Silly me, thought this was going to be on cooking. :cheers2:
On that note, check out the rada tomato knife-- Unmatched performance, yet cheap-- Best tomato knife ever imho. http://www.radacutlery.com/kitchen-knives/rada/tomato-knife-slicer

I thought Jim was going commando on us ... :laugh:
Commando? Gotta give it up for SOG knives. From skinning to stabbing to slashing-- phenomenal all around knife. You can pry with it too, but why when you can just cut the SOB open? ;)

Drummond
09-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I have tons and tons of knives. Nothing spectacular, mostly cheapies even, just like them! I like "Mtech" as they are cheaply priced but last long. I just bought these 2, the Marines one is small, but I love it!

MTECH Tactical Black Stiletto

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/839/12v0.jpg

Mtech Marine

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/8184/vqqo.jpg

Impressive, Jim.

I've a funny feeling that this is another of those areas where your society and mine have very different cultures. It isn't just that gun ownership laws are far stricter here in the UK ... we've this to contend with, as well ...

https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy-or-carry-a-knife

jafar00
09-08-2013, 04:02 AM
I have a "good" kitchen knife the wife is scared to use. I keep it SHARP! No idea what the brand is but it's a good knife.

hjmick
09-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Impressive, Jim.

I've a funny feeling that this is another of those areas where your society and mine have very different cultures. It isn't just that gun ownership laws are far stricter here in the UK ... we've this to contend with, as well ...

https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy-or-carry-a-knife

I remember a few years back, a woman in the UK was carded, asked for ID, when she went to purchase a pizza cutter. You people are just nuts...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5914307/Woman-28-told-to-prove-age-to-buy-pizza-cutter.html

Jeff
09-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Jim look into a SOG , Laura bought me one for Christmas last year and I love it, it is guaranteed for life and I have used it since then and could still shave with it, if it ever does get Dull ya send it back to them because they actually have a press that makes the edge ( no stones at all used on the knife) It has a thumb bar to help sling the blade out quickly and it also has a safety on it , Great knives I can't say enough about them .

jimnyc
09-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Jim look into a SOG , Laura bought me one for Christmas last year and I love it, it is guaranteed for life and I have used it since then and could still shave with it, if it ever does get Dull ya send it back to them because they actually have a press that makes the edge ( no stones at all used on the knife) It has a thumb bar to help sling the blade out quickly and it also has a safety on it , Great knives I can't say enough about them .

Awesome knives but those that I like from them are all between $200-500, which is far too rich for my blood! Tell Laura for me that Christmas is right around the corner!! :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-08-2013, 08:50 AM
I have a "good" kitchen knife the wife is scared to use. I keep it SHARP! No idea what the brand is but it's a good knife. Jafar you had better hope she doesn't suddenly get over her fear when really pissed off at you. A really good sharp knife can put the hurt on a man rather quickly if ya know what I mean.;) Tis' why I kept my guns locked away in one place and my ammo in another back during my previous marriage. A really pissed off woman often does extreme things that she is sorry for later. Just sayin"....its good advice to be cautious.. --Tyr

Arbo
09-08-2013, 09:04 AM
I have tons and tons of knives. Nothing spectacular, mostly cheapies even, just like them! I like "Mtech" as they are cheaply priced but last long.

I've never really 'got' the knife thing, I'm a gun guy. But those are nice, the top one definitely looks quite cool.

jafar00
09-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Jafar you had better hope she doesn't suddenly get over her fear when really pissed off at you. A really good sharp knife can put the hurt on a man rather quickly if ya know what I mean.;) Tis' why I kept my guns locked away in one place and my ammo in another back during my previous marriage. A really pissed off woman often does extreme things that she is sorry for later. Just sayin"....its good advice to be cautious.. --Tyr

lol thanks, but my wife is a good Muslim woman. She wouldn't harm a flee. She has that hot Mediterranean blood though and can usually get her way when she wants, but violence is a nono ;)

Jeff
09-09-2013, 04:02 AM
lol thanks, but my wife is a good Muslim woman. She wouldn't harm a flee. She has that hot Mediterranean blood though and can usually get her way when she wants, but violence is a nono ;)

I would be careful just the same jafar :laugh: I keep all weapons locked up and the key stays with me

Jeff
09-09-2013, 04:04 AM
Awesome knives but those that I like from them are all between $200-500, which is far too rich for my blood! Tell Laura for me that Christmas is right around the corner!! :)

Jim they are expensive knives but I bought mine at a gun show and paid a quarter of what they sell for in the stores, if ya want one let me know, it will cost ya between $60 and $85 pretty much for any they have

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-09-2013, 06:56 AM
lol thanks, but my wife is a good Muslim woman. She wouldn't harm a flee. She has that hot Mediterranean blood though and can usually get her way when she wants, but violence is a nono ;) You are a lucky man indeed to have such a wife. A wife like that is a blessing from God. My wife is much the same in that aspect. No violence but she knows how to get what she wants. Great meals, kind words and good companionship works wonders on this old dog.. ;) --Tyr

CSM
09-09-2013, 07:17 AM
I have a SOG S1 Bowie (one of the first they ever made, I think). I've had that knife for a very long time. I actually treasure it, though it probably has little monetary value; it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

Jeff
09-09-2013, 07:24 AM
I have a SOG S1 Bowie (one of the first they ever made, I think). I've had that knife for a very long time. I actually treasure it, though it probably has little monetary value; it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

I had just heard nabout them a couple of years ago, I got mine last year and carry it everyday, I love it and have used it for a thousand different things ( even a hammer , on a thumb tack ) and it is still razor sharp, sure hope I can say I had mine for a very long time some day

CSM
09-09-2013, 07:44 AM
I had just heard nabout them a couple of years ago, I got mine last year and carry it everyday, I love it and have used it for a thousand different things ( even a hammer , on a thumb tack ) and it is still razor sharp, sure hope I can say I had mine for a very long time some day

heh ... I've used mine to do just about everything from opening c-rations to whittling. It's a very rugged knife and keeps an really great edge through thick and thin.

glockmail
09-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Guns are better. I just bought my daughter her first pistol, a Ruger LCP.

CSM
09-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Guns are better. I just bought my daughter her first pistol, a Ruger LCP.

Pretty hard so slice meat with a gun ... just sayin'

glockmail
09-09-2013, 09:13 AM
:laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Pretty hard so slice meat with a gun ... just sayin' A 50 cal machine gun will slice any meat that it hits.. ;) One could cut an elephant in half lickity split with a 50 cal machine gun. ;) but I too prefer a damn good knife ...-Tyr

CSM
09-09-2013, 09:33 AM
A 50 cal machine gun will slice any meat that it hits.. ;) One could cut an elephant in half lickity split with a 50 cal machine gun. ;) but I too prefer a damn good knife ...-Tyr

Uh yeah... I would not recommend sitting around a camp fire and shooting your steak with a .50 cal. That's just poor manners.

glockmail
09-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm not big on carrying a knife around as a defense weapon. But I suppose if you live a state like NY where pistols are for all intents illegal you don't have much of a choice.

CSM
09-09-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm not big on carrying a knife around as a defense weapon. But I suppose if you live a state like NY where pistols are for all intents illegal you don't have much of a choice.

There are very few who are trained/knowledgeable enough to use a knife as a defense weapon. I always carry a pocketknife but not for self defense; ya never know when I'm gonna have ta clean ma fingernails, donchya know!

glockmail
09-09-2013, 10:05 AM
I bought one of these a few months ago and it's become my favorite. It's all stainless and the handle appears to be forged in one piece with the blade.

glockmail
09-09-2013, 10:07 AM
There are very few who are trained/knowledgeable enough to use a knife as a defense weapon. I always carry a pocketknife but not for self defense; ya never know when I'm gonna have ta clean ma fingernails, donchya know!

Exactly. It's probably easier to learn jujitso or something. And then there's the obvious, that a perp would have a gun anyway, and you never want to bring a knife to a gun fight.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Exactly. It's probably easier to learn jujitso or something. And then there's the obvious, that a perp would have a gun anyway, and you never want to bring a knife to a gun fight. I have had some training with a knife as in how to knife fight. And it wasn't from the U.S. government but from a man that really knew how to do it , my Indian grandfather who was taught by his grandfather. Yet like you I think a pistol is the far better option. Only knife I carry is a small pocket knife. -Tyr

hjmick
09-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Uh yeah... I would not recommend sitting around a camp fire and shooting your steak with a .50 cal. That's just poor manners.

In whose reality?

glockmail
09-09-2013, 10:39 AM
I have had some training with a knife as in how to knife fight. And it wasn't from the U.S. government but from a man that really knew how to do it , my Indian grandfather who was taught by his grandfather. Yet like you I think a pistol is the far better option. Only knife I carry is a small pocket knife. -Tyr

Native Americans know better than anyone what a useful tool a knife is, yet ineffective in a gun fight.

CSM
09-09-2013, 10:46 AM
In whose reality?

Mine, obviously!

Abbey Marie
09-09-2013, 12:03 PM

No!!! You need a pug puppy. Or any rescue kitten/cat you fall in love with. Or both!

Abbey Marie
09-09-2013, 12:04 PM
I bought one of these a few months ago and it's become my favorite. It's all stainless and the handle appears to be forged in one piece with the blade.

Looks like the one we have in our kitchen. :cool: It's a little scary, but works great.

Marcus Aurelius
09-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Other than my handy dandy camping knife I got for $2.00 at WalMart...

all I have are a couple French bayonets...

The top one is from 1871, the bottom from 1877. They were handed down my family, father to son, from the French soldier who carried them. Serial numbers on the scabbards and blades match. Open market value, a few hundred a piece. To me, priceless.

jafar00
09-09-2013, 09:33 PM
I would be careful just the same jafar :laugh: I keep all weapons locked up and the key stays with me

I dunno about you but my good knife is for cooking only ;)

I never owned a gun except for what I was issued with when I was in the Army.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Other than my handy dandy camping knife I got for $2.00 at WalMart...

all I have are a couple French bayonets...

The top one is from 1871, the bottom from 1877. They were handed down my family, father to son, from the French soldier who carried them. Serial numbers on the scabbards and blades match. Open market value, a few hundred a piece. To me, priceless. I like the top one and they look like swords to me. Of course can not tell the length from the pics. If under 18 inches most likely could be bayonets but if over 3 feet definitely swords. Also I've never seen bayonets have scabbards. However I'd damn sure like to have both. I love swords but never ever collected even one! --Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-09-2013, 11:01 PM
I dunno about you but my good knife is for cooking only ;)
Hate to have to tell you this but if you are cooking that knife you need serious help . :laugh:-Tyr

Marcus Aurelius
09-09-2013, 11:48 PM
I like the top one and they look like swords to me. Of course can not tell the length from the pics. If under 18 inches most likely could be bayonets but if over 3 feet definitely swords. Also I've never seen bayonets have scabbards. However I'd damn sure like to have both. I love swords but never ever collected even one! --Tyr

They are most definitely bayonets. The top one is 28" long, and the bottom one is 26" long. They mount over the barrel, and if you look at the hilts, you'll see a long, dark colored inset... that is the spring loaded release to remove it from the barrel.

The scabbards (sheath really) attach to the soldiers belt, so they can be carried into battle and attached to the rifle when needed.

This is the type of rifle, or something more or less like it, that most closely fits the dates on the bayonets...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chassepot
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Chassepot-diag.jpg/600px-Chassepot-diag.jpg

Here's a closeup of the bayonet assembly...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Chassepot_bayonet_assembly.jpg/800px-Chassepot_bayonet_assembly.jpg

jafar00
09-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Hate to have to tell you this but if you are cooking that knife you need serious help . :laugh:-Tyr

Badum... tish! :clap:

KitchenKitten99
09-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Dammit Jim! You had me all excited at the title (which I just noticed now), with me thinking "hopefully he wasn't talked into buying Wusthofs at 3x their actual value at Williams-Sonoma or some other overpriced shop, and got a decent set of Globals instead..."

Gaffer
09-13-2013, 12:39 PM
I like the top one and they look like swords to me. Of course can not tell the length from the pics. If under 18 inches most likely could be bayonets but if over 3 feet definitely swords. Also I've never seen bayonets have scabbards. However I'd damn sure like to have both. I love swords but never ever collected even one! --Tyr

FYI all bayonets have sheathes in order to be carried on a belt. The old ones like Marcus has were really long. Early ones were triangular but they started making them with knife like edges later. A five to six foot rifle with a 2 to 3 foot blade on it made for a very impressive sight. And they could literally be used like swords if the need arose.

They got smaller around WW2 as they weren't used as much. The M-16 bayonet is like a tooth pick compared to what they use to have and we never ever fixed bayonets over there. They were good for opening C-rations if you lost your John Wayne (P-38).

jimnyc
09-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Here's all the knives. The Marines knife at the top is the one that impresses me the most. It's very easily swung open with one finger while holding the knife and very solid once in place. It's thick too, so you feel comfortable holding it. The other 2 are more or less designed just to look like double sided knives, but only one side of the blade is functional. The little guy was a freebie that came with one as a keychain, and it's cool looking and sharp as hell (so says the cut on my little finger). I paid more for single knives than I have for all of these combined.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o7k3f9.jpg