PDA

View Full Version : Who knows more about religion? Pew poll is surprising?

Arbo
09-07-2013, 02:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wifUXxsOPMA

Thoughts?

jafar00
09-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Buhkari Volume 9, Book 88, Number 184:
Narrated 'Abdullah and Abu Musa:
The Prophet said, "Near the establishment of the Hour there will be days during which Religious ignorance will spread, knowledge will be taken away (vanish) and there will be much Al-Harj, and Al-Harj means killing."

PostmodernProphet
09-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Thoughts?

ignorant conclusion on the part of the reporter.....he begins by saying Christians don't know as much about God as atheists do, then highlights questions that have nothing to do with Christianity.....do Jews know more about Judaism?.....do Muslims know more about Islam?.....do Christians know more about Christianity?......do atheists know more about.....well, about nothing?.......

Noir
09-08-2013, 08:00 AM
ignorant conclusion on the part of the reporter.....he begins by saying Christians don't know as much about God as atheists do, then highlights questions that have nothing to do with Christianity.....do Jews know more about Judaism?.....do Muslims know more about Islam?.....do Christians know more about Christianity?......do atheists know more about.....well, about nothing?.......

I'd see it more as an ignorant conclusion on the part of the american people. If you are religious that's probably the single most important aspect of your life. How you could chose to be of a religion when you're so ignorant of others, even ones constantly referenced in media and pop culture, is baffling.

I mean really, 50% answered didn't know the name of the Qu'ran? Mymys.

PostmodernProphet
09-08-2013, 11:12 AM
I'd see it more as an ignorant conclusion on the part of the american people. If you are religious that's probably the single most important aspect of your life. How you could chose to be of a religion when you're so ignorant of others, even ones constantly referenced in media and pop culture, is baffling.

I mean really, 50% answered didn't know the name of the Qu'ran? Mymys.

did they spell it that way?.....would the answer be different if it asked about the Koran?.....did you know who Maimonides was?......

PostmodernProphet
09-08-2013, 11:22 AM
as I suspected, the poll results showed that in truth, Christians knew more about Christianity than did any other group, including atheists.....
http://www.pewforum.org/2010/09/28/u-s-religious-knowledge-survey-who-knows-what-about-religion/

thus demonstrating that over all, the OP knew less about honesty than the average person.....

Arbo
09-08-2013, 11:27 AM
as I suspected, the poll results showed that in truth, Christians knew more about Christianity than did any other group,

The title is about knowing about 'religion', not about sect a knowing about sect a. Such intellectual dishonesty on your part is quite transparent.

Noir
09-08-2013, 11:31 AM
did they spell it that way?.....would the answer be different if it asked about the Koran?.....did you know who Maimonides was?......

Quite true, really though they should of written all the questions phonetically, so as to avoid any confusion, or had cartoons read the questions out, less those can't read be held back from storming the test.

And indeed i do, though i first came to know him through philosophy as not religion, BBC Radio 4 do fantastic podcasts, Moses being a figure of great intrigue, and ideas, though i have yet to own a book of his to my regret.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Mosheh ben Maimon was a Spanish jewish philosopher, astronomer and historic figure from the Middle Ages. He was born in Córdoba Spain. Quite famous actually .....--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-08-2013, 11:45 AM
as I suspected, the poll results showed that in truth, Christians knew more about Christianity than did any other group, including atheists.....
http://www.pewforum.org/2010/09/28/u-s-religious-knowledge-survey-who-knows-what-about-religion/

thus demonstrating that over all, the OP knew less about honesty than the average person..... Sir, your record for honesty has rarely( if ever) been questioned here that I've ever seen. A feat accomplished by a few others here but still a feat nevertheless. :beer:--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-08-2013, 11:55 AM
The title is about knowing about 'religion', not about sect a knowing about sect a. Such intellectual dishonesty on your part is quite transparent. Well , if knowing about religion excludes any of the top three its not really knowing is it? Your statement is in error IMHO. I knew the answer to his question and thought first to simply type --The Great Eagle-- but knew I'd have to explain who that was. A word of advice if I may . Its no disgrace to acknowledge that other people may know a helluva lot more about many things than you do. Even less if those people are much older and have had the time to learn by reading, studying and living much of it. I have no problem acknowledging Kat and Abbey having superior knowledge on a great many subjects. Its called integrity and humility... Just sayin' ... Tyr

Arbo
09-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Well , if knowing about religion excludes any of the top three its not really knowing is it?

I started the thread. The story was about people knowing about religion. That is all of them. No amount of diversion or off topic banter by you changes that fact. Do you have a specific comment about the article or the conclusion of the poll in terms of what the actual topic is, or just more stuff you should be putting in the 'cage' instead of up here, but lack the self control to do so?

Marcus Aurelius
09-08-2013, 01:00 PM
I started the thread. The story was about people knowing about religion. That is all of them. No amount of diversion or off topic banter by you changes that fact. Do you have a specific comment about the article or the conclusion of the poll in terms of what the actual topic is, or just more stuff you should be putting in the 'cage' instead of up here, but lack the self control to do so?

Jack of all trades, and master of none.

Of course, the OP probably doesn't understand that reference used in this context.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I started the thread. The story was about people knowing about religion. That is all of them. No amount of diversion or off topic banter by you changes that fact. Do you have a specific comment about the article or the conclusion of the poll in terms of what the actual topic is, or just more stuff you should be putting in the 'cage' instead of up here, but lack the self control to do so? My comment was A. on topic. B. Not cage material. If you think it was feel free to contact admin. otherwise do not bore me with your threats or useless advice. Now your post that I am responding too is a far more likely candidate but I'll not report it because I am a good guy.------- Here is my post, point out where its off topic other than my advice given to you which was not cage material either IMHO as it was not given with anything other than good advice.

Well , if knowing about religion excludes any of the top three its not really knowing is it? Your statement is in error IMHO. I knew the answer to his question and thought first to simply type --The Great Eagle-- but knew I'd have to explain who that was. A word of advice if I may . Its no disgrace to acknowledge that other people may know a helluva lot more about many things than you do. Even less if those people are much older and have had the time to learn by reading, studying and living much of it. I have no problem acknowledging Kat and Abbey having superior knowledge on a great many subjects. Its called integrity and humility... Just sayin' ... Tyr

Arbo
09-08-2013, 01:06 PM

Of course, the OP probably doesn't understand that reference used in this context.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?42839-An-example-of-off-topic

Arbo
09-08-2013, 01:08 PM
My comment was A. on topic. B. Not cage material. If you think it was feel free to contact admin. otherwise do not bore me with your threats or useless advice. Now your post that I am responding too is a far more likely candidate but I'll not report it because I am a good guy.------- Here is my post, point out where its off topic other than my advice given to you which was not cage material either IMHO as it was not given with anything other than good advice.

jimnyc
09-08-2013, 01:10 PM

PLEASE stop going off topic - and this is directed to all involved, but using this post. Go to the cage if you guys all have issues with one another, but I don't want to see the bickering in every single thread, which is starting to happen.

Please just ignore their post if you find it off topic, or report it, or place them on ignore. But we don't want to see this back and forth in every thread.

And to ALL - this seems to be a recurring theme when there is a member that is disliked. A clique will then disagree with every other post and make it a habit of following someone around and making threads worthless, outside of the bickering. Let's please be adults, and some take the upper road and use the ignore feature for once?

Marcus Aurelius
09-08-2013, 01:15 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=662844#post662844)

then explain the reference.

Marcus Aurelius
09-08-2013, 01:16 PM
PLEASE stop going off topic - and this is directed to all involved, but using this post. Go to the cage if you guys all have issues with one another, but I don't want to see the bickering in every single thread, which is starting to happen.

Please just ignore their post if you find it off topic, or report it, or place them on ignore. But we don't want to see this back and forth in every thread.

And to ALL - this seems to be a recurring theme when there is a member that is disliked. A clique will then disagree with every other post and make it a habit of following someone around and making threads worthless, outside of the bickering. Let's please be adults, and some take the upper road and use the ignore feature for once?

Jim... I am not off topic.

The reference 'Jack of all trades, master of none' has a specific meaning to the topic of people knowing religion. I was essentially challenging the OP to see if he understood it. If no one gets it in a few posts, I'll explain further.

fj1200
09-08-2013, 01:17 PM
I started the thread. The story was about people knowing about religion. That is all of them.

Seems to be another poll in search of a story.

Marcus Aurelius
09-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Really? No one?

Okay...

Jack of all trades, master of none, in the context of this thread, refers to people who know a little about ALL religions, but have not gained a large volume of knowledge for a SINGLE religion.

Atheists appear to be 'jacks of all trades', while they master none. People who are knowledgeable of and secure in their own faith would be the 'master' in the reference.

I'm much happier being fully knowledgeable in my faith, than I would be in knowing something of every other faith out there. I am not averse to knowing about other faiths, but it isn't a necessity for me.

perfectly on topic.

jimnyc
09-08-2013, 01:54 PM
^^ My point still stands, in general, that things need to stay on topic - although not your post then, and you have my apologies. It's just that the off topic stuff has increased dramatically, so I'm being proactive in trying to get a grasp on it.

Marcus Aurelius
09-08-2013, 02:02 PM
^^ My point still stands, in general, that things need to stay on topic - although not your post then, and you have my apologies. It's just that the off topic stuff has increased dramatically, so I'm being proactive in trying to get a grasp on it.

I'm sorry... all I heard there was 'you have my my apologies'...:poke: