PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Valor Act Signed By Obama

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-07-2013, 05:12 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/stolen-valor-act-obama_n_3379782.html Stolen Valor Act Signed By Obama

06/03/13 02:25 PM ET EDT AP

WASHINGTON -- The White House says President Barack Obama has signed a bill making it a crime to lie about receiving a military medal.

The Stolen Valor Act cleared both chambers of Congress last month. The White House says Obama signed it Monday.

The measure revives a law struck down by the Supreme Court in 2006. The court said it may be disreputable to lie about receiving a medal, but it's protected under the First Amendment.

The new law is narrower, making it a crime to lie about being decorated with the intent to profit personally or financially. That could include those who claim medals in order to receive veterans benefits, land a government contract or get a job reserved for veterans.

Violators could face up to a year in prison. Kudos to Obama -- :beer: ------ Finally Obama does something I can agree with! I do not care what his motivation for doing so is , his signing was a very good thing! Never thought I would agree with anything he does but this one I can go with 100%. Always irked me to no end that scum would pretend service or military deeds they never accomplished. Such low scum dwelling liars deserve prison time IMHO. Two of my best friends were the real deal and I remember how they used to utter pure contempt for such people. I do not ask why he signed, I just agree that he did do a good deed by signing it into law! +1 for Obama --:clap: Yes its me , nobody hacked my account. :laugh:--Tyr

aboutime
09-07-2013, 05:16 PM
. Kudos to Obama -- :beer: ------ Finally Obama does something I can agree with! I do not care what his motivation for doing so is , his signing was a very good thing! Never thought I would agree with anything he does but this one I can go with 100%. Always irked me to no end that scum would pretend service or military deeds they never accomplished. Such low scum dwelling liars deserve prison time IMHO. Two of my best friends were the real deal and I remember how they used to utter pure contempt for such people. I do not ask why he signed, I just agree that he did do a good deed by signing it into law! +1 for Obama --:clap: Yes its me , nobody hacked my account. :laugh:--Tyr

Tyr. Agreed. But I am suspect at his timing. Since he obviously needs to reach out to a Military he has been working to destroy, degrade, and disrespect. There must be an Ulterior motive.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Tyr. Agreed. But I am suspect at his timing. Since he obviously needs to reach out to a Military he has been working to destroy, degrade, and disrespect. There must be an Ulterior motive. I respect your opinion and you certainly after all your long years of military service deserve that respect. I simply have to not question his motives on this because the good by far outweighs any negative that may or my not exist. At least for me that's how I view this news. Missed it a couple months back and found it late last night on a military forum I sometimes read ... Tyr

Arbo
09-07-2013, 05:50 PM
with the intent to profit personally or financially.

Seems like a good thing overall, I wonder about the strength of enforceability and how hard it would be to prove that 'profit'.

aboutime
09-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I respect your opinion and you certainly after all your long years of military service deserve that respect. I simply have to not question his motives on this because the good by far outweighs any negative that may or my not exist. At least for me that's how I view this news. Missed it a couple months back and found it late last night on a military forum I sometimes read ... Tyr

Thanks Tyr. I admit to being suspect about almost anything Obama might do, or does with relation to the Military. Check back, if you will. And see how Obama first reacted, and pretended to care about this Stolen Valor idea...across the board. Then you may understand my distrust, and cynical feelings about his intentions. Opinions are Opinions. Right?

Marcus Aurelius
09-07-2013, 06:41 PM
i wonder what the differences are between this law, and the one Bush signed that got shot down by SCOTUS in 2012?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act

On October 17, 2011, the U.S. Supreme Court (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Supreme_Court) agreed to consider the validity of the law.[29] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act#cite_note-29) On June 28, 2012, the Supreme Court found the law unconstitutional in a 6 to 3 decision, with Justices Scalia, Thomas and Alito dissenting.[30] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act#cite_note-SCOTUS-30)[31] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act#cite_note-SCOTUS2-31) In United States v. Alvarez the majority held that the Stolen Valor Act was an unconstitutional abridgment of the freedom of speech under the First Amendment.[ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act#cite_note-SCOTUS-30)

fj1200
09-07-2013, 06:48 PM
+1 for Obama --:clap: Yes its me , nobody hacked my account. :laugh:--Tyr

:fallsoffchair: quoted for posterity. :poke:

The new law is narrower, making it a crime to lie about being decorated with the intent to profit personally or financially. That could include those who claim medals in order to receive veterans benefits, land a government contract or get a job reserved for veterans.

I would have thought that would have already been illegal but I dunno.

[/I][/COLOR]Seems like a good thing overall, I wonder about the strength of enforceability and how hard it would be to prove that 'profit'.

I don't think it will be too hard to prove the profit but we can hope this one stands the test the other one didn't.

fj1200
09-07-2013, 06:49 PM
i wonder what the differences are between this law, and the one Bush signed that got shot down by SCOTUS in 2012?

I'm guessing the first one penalized speech where this one penalizes monetary gain.

aboutime
09-07-2013, 06:51 PM
:fallsoffchair: quoted for posterity. :poke:

I would have thought that would have already been illegal but I dunno.

I don't think it will be too hard to prove the profit but we can hope this one stands the test the other one didn't.

There is ONE, Everlasting Document called the DD-214 that separates the phonies from the real veterans with awards, medals, and ribbons.

Anyone who can't show their DD-214, and have it verified by the DOD with a few keystrokes. Deserves to be labeled as Illegal, phony, and a coward.

Arbo
09-07-2013, 07:35 PM

From the quote of the story in the first post:

"The new law is narrower, making it a crime to lie about being decorated with the intent to profit personally or financially. That could include those who claim medals in order to receive veterans benefits, land a government contract or get a job reserved for veterans."