PDA

View Full Version : Need new home page

jimnyc
09-08-2013, 10:15 AM
I've been using Yahoo as my "home page" for like 110 years now. I'm a severe creature of habit and am not fond of change. Well, they've started shuffling up their site, and more so to the sports section, and I don't like it! The reason I have always stayed with them is for the "all in one" on their home page. I have access to mail, news, sports, weather, maps and everything right in front of me or at the click of a button.

Google is bland, although they do offer "Igoogle" where you can build/customize your own page to your liking, but I still don't like it.

Anyone use any other sites that offer an index of sorts, an all in one stop? Any recommendations?

Arbo
09-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Most of my machines either default to the google.com search page or my family ancestry site. I quit looking at those yahoo type 'we give you the news we want you to see' sites.

I am guessing the options the networks have isn't what you are looking for? (fox, cnn, etc)

There is this monstrosity that simply gives you quick links to most anything you might want: http://www.allmyfaves.com

jimnyc
09-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Most of my machines either default to the google.com search page or my family ancestry site. I quit looking at those yahoo type 'we give you the news we want you to see' sites.

I am guessing the options the networks have isn't what you are looking for? (fox, cnn, etc)

There is this monstrosity that simply gives you quick links to most anything you might want: http://www.allmyfaves.com

That link is definitely a keeper! I like having every site like that at my fingertips. Not the answer to this thread, but glad to have nonetheless!

I'll go over the major networks again and see if any appeal to me. I've always found each one to be a bit biased in one way or another. I just want it all plastered in front of me, whether I agree with it or not. A bit of news, today's weather, latest sports... Almost forgot as well, the ability to do an entire web search, which Yahoo and Google both offer.

aboutime
09-08-2013, 12:58 PM
I've been using Yahoo as my "home page" for like 110 years now. I'm a severe creature of habit and am not fond of change. Well, they've started shuffling up their site, and more so to the sports section, and I don't like it! The reason I have always stayed with them is for the "all in one" on their home page. I have access to mail, news, sports, weather, maps and everything right in front of me or at the click of a button.

Google is bland, although they do offer "Igoogle" where you can build/customize your own page to your liking, but I still don't like it.

Anyone use any other sites that offer an index of sorts, an all in one stop? Any recommendations?

jimnyc. For many years. My homepage was DRUDGEREPORT. Instantly updated (during the week), and despite the accusations about partisanship. Just his daily numbers (visits) say something about the accuracy. But now. I have my own homepage (I created) that lists all of the LINKS I visit daily. Much like my own Desktop with the standard Windows links...BUT those I choose to see first.
As for experience. I am a former member of the IWA (International Webmasters Association) which was a minor benefit, due to my Navy training in the early years of Internet communications.
No longer active due to time, and employment limitations.

jimnyc
09-08-2013, 01:00 PM
jimnyc. For many years. My homepage was DRUDGEREPORT. Instantly updated (during the week), and despite the accusations about partisanship. Just his daily numbers (visits) say something about the accuracy. But now. I have my own homepage (I created) that lists all of the LINKS I visit daily. Much like my own Desktop with the standard Windows links...BUT those I choose to see first.
As for experience. I am a former member of the IWA (International Webmasters Association) which was a minor benefit, due to my Navy training in the early years of Internet communications.

I visit Drudge several times daily, I just don't like it as a home page. But a damn good site for keeping up on all kinds of news, all around the world.

Drummond
09-08-2013, 02:27 PM

Thanks for reminding me about Drudge .. I used to visit it often (they used to keep links to British papers there, too). Must look in on it again.

tailfins
09-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Since for work related tasks, I can open a new browser thousands of times (in code, of course), I recommend about:blank . You will no longer have to wait for a home page to load.

jimnyc
09-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Since for work related tasks, I can open a new browser thousands of times (in code, of course), I recommend about:blank . You will no longer have to wait for a home page to load.

Great for speed, but still doesn't give me news/sports highlights and weather!!! :)

Drummond
09-08-2013, 06:41 PM
That link is definitely a keeper! I like having every site like that at my fingertips. Not the answer to this thread, but glad to have nonetheless!

I'll go over the major networks again and see if any appeal to me. I've always found each one to be a bit biased in one way or another. I just want it all plastered in front of me, whether I agree with it or not. A bit of news, today's weather, latest sports... Almost forgot as well, the ability to do an entire web search, which Yahoo and Google both offer.

Just tried the link, but with the .com part of the address altered to conform to what you'd expect for other countries. So far, I've found ...

http://www.allmyfaves.ca/

http://www.allmyfaves.co.uk/

http://www.allmyfaves.co.in/ [India]

http://www.allmyfaves.de/ [Germany]

Abbey Marie
09-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Even with their ditzy "Look what Gladys Smith wore on the red carpet" nonsense, I still like Yahoo for the same reasons you do- everything is right there. And I get my breaking news on my phone.