PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate End-of-Life Plan

Arbo
09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324577304579054880302791624.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

She also spent six years as a family caregiver, after a crippling stroke destroyed my father's independence when he was 79 and she was 77. A hastily-inserted pacemaker forced his heart to outlive his brain, and she watched him slide year by year into dementia and misery. His medically-prolonged dying made her painfully aware of health care's default tendency to promote maximum longevity and maximum treatment. It wasn't what she wanted for herself.

She was not alone. In California, my home state, a 2012 survey by Lake Research Partners and the Coalition for Compassionate Care of California found that 70% of state residents want to die at home, and national polls have registered even higher proportions. But in fact, nationally, less than a quarter of us do. Two-fifths die in hospitals, and a tragic one-fifth in intensive care, where deaths are often harrowing. This is an amazing disconnect in a society that prides itself on freedom of choice.

A very good article, and potentially a good starting point on the 'ethics' of death and modern medicine. I know more and more people that like the woman discussed in this article, realize the futility of modern medicine when we are older, and would rather go out on their own terms.

I think this is a great thing, and respect those that do it. My dad was found to have stage 4 melanoma many years ago, and while they could have tried many 'heroic' measures, he knew the cost was high, the odds were low, and they would have weakened his body sooner than the cancer would. So he left us in his own house, in his own bedroom, with his family sitting beside him. I think this is indeed the right path.

No doubt some will differ in opinion, they may simply have much faith in modern medicine, and think the cost and effort is worth the risk. And some may just fear death and will do anything to fight it. To each their own. But feel free to give your thoughts, as it could be a very interesting discussion on the topic.

fj1200
09-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I think the answer would be completely different if the majority of seniors were paying for the cost of their own extension of life.

Arbo
09-08-2013, 01:18 PM
I think the answer would be completely different if the majority of seniors were paying for the cost of their own extension of life.

That is spot on. From the article:

About a quarter of Medicare's $550 billion annual budget pays for medical treatment in the last year of life. Almost a third of Medicare patients have surgery in their last year of life, and nearly one in five in their last month of life. In their last year of life, one-third to one-half of Medicare patients spend time in an intensive care unit, where 10 days of futile flailing can cost as much as $323,000. Medical overtreatment costs the U.S. health care system an estimated $158 billion to $226 billion a year.

If they want to control the costs of medicine, not spending that kind of money. While it may seem cruel, most of that money is wasted. Last ditch efforts where the little extra time just doesn't make sense vs the cost.

fj1200
09-08-2013, 01:25 PM
That is spot on. From the article:

If they want to control the costs of medicine, not spending that kind of money. While it may seem cruel, most of that money is wasted. Last ditch efforts where the little extra time just doesn't make sense vs the cost.

Trigg and Nukeman have both made excellent posts on exactly that subject including the capitulation to the wants of the kids which doesn't line up with reality. The kids should be making contributions for that extra week with Mom or Dad if it's so important.

Arbo
09-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Trigg and Nukeman have both made excellent posts on exactly that subject including the capitulation to the wants of the kids which doesn't line up with reality. The kids should be making contributions for that extra week with Mom or Dad if it's so important.

Ah, two more thinking members, I look forward to seeing them, if they are still around.

Yeah, I have to problem with doing whatever they want, as long as THEY are paying for it. But when it comes out of all our pockets, at some point the value of return is negative and it needs to end.

fj1200
09-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Ah, two more thinking members, I look forward to seeing them, if they are still around.

They are. And mods too.