Story Highlights
• 40 percent increase seen in offenses by juveniles in past 20 years
• Psychologists blame society rife with sexuality and violence
• Skeptics attribute statistical increase to more awareness, better reporting
• Large number of young offenders were themselves victims of abuse

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/09/young.offenders.ap/index.html

Abbey Marie
06-09-2007, 05:15 PM
STOCKTON, California (AP) -- Courts have seen the number of sex offense cases involving juvenile offenders rise dramatically in recent years, an Associated Press review of national statistics found, and treatment professionals say the offenders are getting younger and the crimes more violent.

Some psychologists blame the increase in numbers -- 40 percent over two decades -- on a society saturated with sex and violence and the fact that many of the accused were themselves victims of adult sexual predators.

Others say there aren't more children committing such crimes, simply more awareness, better reporting and a general hysteria about sex offenders.

The third paragraph is contradictory to the first, and doesn't hold water. If the courts are in fact experiencing a dramatic rise in cases, how can anyone say that the rise is just due to better reporting or hysteria?

Some people just don't want to face the possibility that our culture is having a detrimental effect on our children.

nevadamedic
06-09-2007, 05:37 PM
The third paragraph is contradictory of the first, and doesn't hold water. If the courts are in fact experiencing a dramatic rise in cases, how can anyone say that the rise is just due to better reporting or hysteria?

Some people just don't want to face the possibility that our culture is having a detrimental effect on our children.

I was thinking the same thing about the paragraphs, great minds think alike, granted my minds better :laugh2:

06-09-2007, 05:40 PM
i blame bad parenting and cavalier treatments of sex.