PDA

View Full Version : What was your Masters thesis on?

Marcus Aurelius
09-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Just curious to see what the thesis subject might have been for anyone with a Masters. There are so many different people here, and different personalities, I thought this might be interesting.

No, I do not have a Masters. But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

fj1200
09-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Didn't need one for an MBA but how about, Benevolent Dictatorships: An Old Model for a New World?

tailfins
09-09-2013, 06:38 AM
I didn't finish Graduate school because I ran out of money. My major was Statistics. I think our education system does a HUGE disservice by teaching Statistics with a formula approach.

It would have been a statistical analysis about people learning Statistics.

I would have likely called it "People learning statics": A formula approach versus matrix approach. I would have studied when people learn statistics faster when for example using this approach:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/d/a/a/daadbe12908cba8971ddc97c2904e582.png

VERSUS

b = (X'X)-1X'y

as stated here:
http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~mbrannic/files/regression/regma.htm

PostmodernProphet
09-09-2013, 11:24 AM
the potential for using the internet to form a new church plant.....you guys were part of my research....I showed how the mechanics of "community formation" were similar between both physical and cyber communities......

the final example I used was how a small team could create on online community to minister to a like minded group located across the nation, focusing on a "church" for women who were suffering emotionally because they had had an abortion but needed the anonymity of the internet to reach out for help.......

Marcus Aurelius
09-09-2013, 11:25 AM
the potential for using the internet to form a new church plant.....you guys were part of my research....

Church of the Holy Inhalation?

aboutime
09-09-2013, 12:27 PM
The only degree I am proud to announce is "98.6" . Waking up every morning is a Win-Win for me.

SassyLady
09-11-2013, 01:40 AM
Relationship between morale, absenteeism and productivity.

PostmodernProphet
09-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Church of the Holy Inhalation?

lol no.....around here exhalation would be more apt......lots of hot air....

tailfins
09-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Relationship between morale, absenteeism and productivity.

Did you discuss retention? I know many IT guys that couldn't bring themselves to be unproductive or play hookie while a problem they can't walk away from remains unsolved. Their style would be to shove a two-week notice in the boss's face when they least expect it if their morale were low.

WiccanLiberal
09-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Mine was on the differentiation of delirium and dementia in elderly patients in an ICU setting. Nursing masters are typically very specific and clinically directed.

tailfins
09-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Mine was on the differentiation of delirium and dementia in elderly patients in an ICU setting. Nursing masters are typically very specific and clinically directed.

Which of the two is more fun?

WiccanLiberal
09-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Well I would say delirium is easier as it is generally temporary and reversible. Sad thing is that for many elderly, the causes are never identified. People seem to pass off the newer onset of delirium as a new facet of an existing dementia.

Abbey Marie
09-12-2013, 03:44 PM
WL, can you tell me the main difference between dementia and Alzheimers, if any?

Re: the OP: Law degree, no Master's needed.

WiccanLiberal
09-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Alzheimer's is a specific variety of dementia. It can occur much earlier than other types of dementia and has a strong genetic component. There are presently some treatments available that slow the progress but so far no definitive remedy.

aboutime
09-12-2013, 04:12 PM
WL, can you tell me the main difference between dementia and Alzheimers, if any?

Abbey. That just happens to be one of my biggest fears as I grow older. Can't learn enough about it. So, I try to keep a positive outlook, and remember how scientists are working to learn more about how to fight it.

I have a favorite line from Ronald Reagan that is related to his Alzheimers. A reporter asked him if he noticed any differences in his life since learning he had Alzheimers, and Reagan. Being the same kind of guy we knew him to be, just said "Well, yes. Every day I make new friends!"

NOW....What was the question????:laugh:

Abbey Marie
09-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Alzheimer's is a specific variety of dementia. It can occur much earlier than other types of dementia and has a strong genetic component. There are presently some treatments available that slow the progress but so far no definitive remedy.

Thanks! So, dementia can take various forms, but in some cases it is = Alzheimers?

Abbey Marie
09-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Abbey. That just happens to be one of my biggest fears as I grow older. Can't learn enough about it. So, I try to keep a positive outlook, and remember how scientists are working to learn more about how to fight it.

I have a favorite line from Ronald Reagan that is related to his Alzheimers. A reporter asked him if he noticed any differences in his life since learning he had Alzheimers, and Reagan. Being the same kind of guy we knew him to be, just said "Well, yes. Every day I make new friends!"

NOW....What was the question????:laugh:

Watching my MIL slowly fade away from Alzheimers, the whole family agrees that it is better to go from something quick, like a heart attack. (As long as we have time to say what we want to our loved ones). The eventual loss of all privacy gets me the most.

aboutime
09-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Watching my MIL slowly fade away from Alzheimers, the whole family agrees that it is better to go from something quick, like a heart attack. (As long as we have time to say what we want to our loved ones). The eventual loss of all privacy gets me the most.

Agreed. My MIL is now 94. She was born in Ireland, saw most of WWII in London, and is slowly becoming more forgetful, minute by minute. Not remembering names, and her four daughters are now numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4.
We still have fun with her, and she's often...sharp as a tack with her memories from more than half a century ago.
That loss of privacy is scary. I'm sure I don't need to remind you. But...telling her You Love Her often makes them smile. Also makes you feel better too!

tailfins
09-12-2013, 07:12 PM

I would take any of the above over End Stage Renal Disease where the body slowly poisons itself to death and each organ slowly, painfully dies before your body finally can't take anymore. I watched that play out over two years. Her mind was fully aware of the whole process.

WiccanLiberal
09-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks! So, dementia can take various forms, but in some cases it is = Alzheimers?

Dementia is the more general condition and can be from a variety of causes. The most common variety is Alzheimer's. Any lingering chronic illness is cruel but I have always regarded dementias as being among the cruelest. Families are robbed of their loved one's presence long before the body actually dies. I was fortunate in a way that my grandparents, my great grandmother and my parents all maintained their mental acuity to the end of their lives.

PostmodernProphet
09-12-2013, 09:19 PM

We do things backwards.....the first degree you obtain as a lawyer is JD Juris Doctorate or Doctor of Jurisprudence.....with further study, you can get an LL.M. or Masters at Law....as an honorary degree you can get an LL.D or Doctorate at Law.......some schools give something called an SJD Doctor of Juridical Science.......typically only a law school professor would go for an LL.M......

Abbey Marie
09-12-2013, 09:59 PM
We do things backwards.....the first degree you obtain as a lawyer is JD Juris Doctorate or Doctor of Jurisprudence.....with further study, you can get an LL.M. or Masters at Law....as an honorary degree you can get an LL.D or Doctorate at Law.......some schools give something called an SJD Doctor of Juridical Science.......typically only a law school professor would go for an LL.M......

Yup. And there was no way I was going to continue on after those 3 years were done.

gabosaurus
09-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Anyone ever notice how most decent DP threads get hijacked or sidetracked? Mostly through arguing and idiocy. Probably not...

jafar00
09-13-2013, 12:28 AM
International Finance, Investments and Securities. Methods, pitfalls and the importance of building personal business relationships, and strategic cooperation between corporate bodies.

SassyLady
09-13-2013, 01:41 AM
Did you discuss retention? I know many IT guys that couldn't bring themselves to be unproductive or play hookie while a problem they can't walk away from remains unsolved. Their style would be to shove a two-week notice in the boss's face when they least expect it if their morale were low.

Retention was major subject of discussion. Retention ensures organizational history and cuts down on overhead due to high cost of retraining for same position over and over. I did not do research on IT guys. The organization I did research on lost a majority of their employees due to their obsessively restrictive dress code.

PostmodernProphet
09-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Yup. And there was no way I was going to continue on after those 3 years were done.

I be gobsmocked......I didn't know you were a lawyer......have you ever mentioned that before?......

tailfins
09-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Anyone ever notice how most decent DP threads get hijacked or sidetracked? Mostly through arguing and idiocy. Probably not...

Speaking of which, what do you YOUR Master's Thesis on? Or are YOU hijacking THIS thread?

gabosaurus
09-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Speaking of which, what do you YOUR Master's Thesis on? Or are YOU hijacking THIS thread?

If I told you, your head would explode. :cool:

aboutime
09-13-2013, 12:03 PM

Only when you post gabby. WE have all noticed that.

tailfins
09-13-2013, 02:03 PM
If I told you, your head would explode. :cool:

Try me! Rather than my head exploding, I may actually develop some respect for you. That's especially true if you show a hard core understanding of complex logic and advanced mathematics.

gabosaurus
09-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Try me! Rather than my head exploding, I may actually develop some respect for you. That's especially true if you show a hard core understanding of complex logic and advanced mathematics.

My masters thesis was a study of how heredity, social status, economic environment and location effected the learning ability of kids.

I was a math major before I switched to psychology. I loved math, but I knew it was not a career for me when Differential Equations kicked my tail. I went through 12 years of high school and six years of college and that remains the toughest class I ever took.

SassyLady
09-14-2013, 12:33 AM
My masters thesis was a study of how heredity, social status, economic environment and location effected the learning ability of kids.

I was a math major before I switched to psychology. I loved math, but I knew it was not a career for me when Differential Equations kicked my tail. I went through 12 years of high school and six years of college and that remains the toughest class I ever took.

Wow!!! I only went to 4 years of high school and 4 years of college and the hardest class for me was statistics. Hated that class.

tailfins
09-14-2013, 09:28 AM

You see, that's the difference between you and I. I made it through Diff. Eq. It's a hard course; it sent me into full autistic meltdowns. However, when the meltdown is over, I get back on the horse and ride again. I don't quit like you did. That's why seeing you as a school counselor concerns me. If you have a boy in your school like that: let them meltdown happen. Don't dope him up or impose disciplinary action. When it passes, let them pick up where they left off. Clearing the hurdle causing the frustration is the best therapy ever. I am so thankful I was born before people decided to "help" autistics. You liberals have done for autistic people the same thing you've done for black people: Made them helpless recipients of government benefits. No thank you.

gabosaurus
09-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Dude, what are you talking about? I passed Differential Equations with an 83. I am seriously doubting the validity of your utterance.

tailfins
09-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Dude, what are you talking about? I passed Differential Equations with an 83. I am seriously doubting the validity of your utterance.

I'm not a mind reader, you didn't say that in your post. You doubt the relevance of my post? Don't confuse validity with veracity. For example 2+2=4 might be a correct statement, but it would be an invalid username here at DP if special characters are not permitted.