PDA

View Full Version : The effects of combat on veterans and their family

gabosaurus
09-09-2013, 08:24 PM
No comments here. Just a fascinating story about how being in battles affects veterans and their families once their service ends.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-soldiers-wife-20130908-dto,0,3886158.htmlstory

CSM
09-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Yep.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-10-2013, 08:51 AM
War is hell and that follows for years or even decades after its over. I've seen the effects of that with my nephew after his doing two combat tours of duty in Iraq. He is by no means the same guy that he was before his first combat tour! Not crazy but no longer carefree and easy go lucky like before. Didn't help that when he decided not to volunteer for a third combat tour of duty in A-stan the military then booted him out. He had I believe almost 15 years in and then was shafted IMHO. -Tyr

aboutime
09-10-2013, 02:11 PM
War is hell and that follows for years or even decades after its over. I've seen the effects of that with my nephew after his doing two combat tours of duty in Iraq. He is by no means the same guy that he was before his first combat tour! Not crazy but no longer carefree and easy go lucky like before. Didn't help that when he decided not to volunteer for a third combat tour of duty in A-stan the military then booted him out. He had I believe almost 15 years in and then was shafted IMHO. -Tyr

Tyr. Not many here are aware of Our two son's. Our oldest, now out of the Marines after his two tours in Iraq, and Afghanistan. He doesn't speak much about it now. But, we all know what he went through, and (is still going through) despite ending his military career.
He and his wife keep privacy to themselves. But anyone who knows any member of our military who has served UNDER FIRE...knows the unspoken, never-ending war that continues with Each Man, and Woman...with their friends, and families.
Nuff said.

Gaffer
09-13-2013, 01:56 PM
I don't have PTSD, because I refuse to let the past run my life. I don't dwell on it. My nephew on the other hand suffers from it big time. He did three tours in iraq. He was part of the initial invasion. He's now on 100% disability because of the PTSD.