PDA

View Full Version : Excelsior - A 9/11 Tribute

jimnyc
09-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Seeing all of the stories and tributes are bringing back the memories of 9/11 like it wasn't long ago at all, and I guess it wasn't. This is a good song along with some great imagery.

“Excelsior” is the New York state motto. Defined, it means “Ever Upward”.

On September 11, 2001, a total of 2,977 people were killed in a terrorist attack that targeted New York City, the Pentagon, and one other target that was never hit because the passengers of United Airlines Flt 93 decided to fight back before their flight could reach its intended target.

The date will be remembered as a turning point in American history. America reacted with shock, grief, deep anger, and a firm resolve. There would be no surrender, no capitulation, and no appeasement offered. America would answer her enemies …

… and she would rise again.

On March 11, 2002, 88 searchlights, originally meant to be used in the rescue effort, were trained skyward in two brilliant, four-mile-high beams. The 7,000-watt xenon bulbs, resulted in two of
the most powerful beams of light ever created, visible up to 60 miles away. Both an act of commemoration and a symbol of resilience, this 'Tribute in Light' was the first 9/11 memorial.

Since that first tribute, 700 recorded memorials in America, and internationally, have since been erected, with even more planned. Every year, formal ceremonies have recognized the victims from more than 60 different countries who perished on 9/11. The following presentation is but an example of these tributes, both large and small.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=4ed8135b983f" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kathianne
09-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Can't embed this one, but it's the best I've seen:

http://attacked911.tripod.com/

jimnyc
09-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Best one I've seen over the years. Let me see if I can find one to embed...

Kathianne
09-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Best one I've seen over the years. Let me see if I can find one to embed...

It came out not long after the attack, not on tripod, I stumbled across it via instapundit. Unlike so many 'tributes' it has the horror and grittiness of the day.

jimnyc
09-11-2013, 08:06 AM

I think this is it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JkuVKm4oNZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jimnyc
09-11-2013, 08:07 AM
It came out not long after the attack, not on tripod, I stumbled across it via instapundit. Unlike so many 'tributes' it has the horror and grittiness of the day.

Yep, and also takes the time to honor each and every individual.

Jeff
09-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Msnbc is showing 9/11 as it happened this morning, I personally think they should show this more often to let people remember we are at war with these animals ( no not all Muslims but yes the ones Obama wanted to go help in Syria ) as I watch this and watch the tributes yall are posting it reminds me jus how angry I was that morning but it has been long enough now to not be mad with anyone that is Muslim just the terrorist animals that have to attack unarmed Americans and do so without warning, at least the Japanese hit a Naval base these animals hit unarmed innocent Americans , what pieces of nut less trash.

Kathianne
09-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Msnbc is showing 9/11 as it happened this morning, I personally think they should show this more often to let people remember we are at war with these animals ( no not all Muslims but yes the ones Obama wanted to go help in Syria ) as I watch this and watch the tributes yall are posting it reminds me jus how angry I was that morning but it has been long enough now to not be mad with anyone that is Muslim just the terrorist animals that have to attack unarmed Americans and do so without warning, at least the Japanese hit a Naval base these animals hit unarmed innocent Americans , what pieces of nut less trash.

Television 'tributes' or 'rememberings' I've seen have been carefully edited. Began happening soon after 9/11, probably by the 21st or so. Pictures of people jumping, etc., removed.