PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem....

Arbo
09-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Figured I always pass on stuff old shipmates do, this is was a newbie a-ganger that showed up when I was on the boat. Always had loads of talent. He is working on becoming a successful musician, but I thought this was very much cool. He got to sing the national anthem at a preseason raiders game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytLrlH9GQwI

I think he does a great job. We used to drive him around to karaoke contests and he just about always won.

Here's a picture of him on the boat as we were headed out to sea, a bit younger. ;)

fj1200
09-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Here's a picture of him on the boat as we were headed out to sea, a bit younger. ;)

Awesome, that's not Connecticut though. :poke:

Arbo
09-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Awesome, that's not Connecticut though. :poke:

Nope. Sea Duty was in Washington. The Georgia was based out of Bangor, WA. Later the missiles were pulled out and a major conversion done so it carries packs of cruise missiles instead. Was changed from SSBN to SSGN and moved to Kings Bay, Georgia.

So those are the Olympics.

fj1200
09-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Nope. Sea Duty was in Washington. The Georgia was based out of Bangor, WA. Later the missiles were pulled out and a major conversion done so it carries packs of cruise missiles instead. Was changed from SSBN to SSGN and moved to Kings Bay, Georgia.

So those are the Olympics.

I see. You mentioned the sub base in CT I think before and I lived in Norwich for a year just out of college. Also used to drive out to RI every summer when I was a kid and see the new subs at EB in Groton.

Arbo
09-11-2013, 10:41 PM
I see. You mentioned the sub base in CT I think before and I lived in Norwich for a year just out of college. Also used to drive out to RI every summer when I was a kid and see the new subs at EB in Groton.

Norwich is much better than Groton. This spring I lost two long time friends (~30 years each), so I took some time off and headed back to the east coast and spent a few weeks catching up with people I had not seen in that much time but am still in touch with (thanks to FB). Near the end of that trip I was back in Groton, it had been 10 years since I left that place, NOTHING HAD CHANGED. There was some new navy housing, but every single thing was exactly the same, like it's stuck in a time warp. Was crazy.

At one point when I was on shore duty there I worked security over at the Waterford Speedbowl, was always a fun and interesting time.

fj1200
09-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Norwich is much better than Groton.

That's not saying much, the smell!!! Gaach! But I haven't been out East in ages, maybe twice in the past 20 years but I probably wouldn't remember enough to notice the changes anyway.