PDA

View Full Version : Take That, Power-Tripping Cops

Hobbit
06-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Undercover police officer has traffic run-in, pulls gun on civilian driver with wife and 2 toddlers in car. Recieves brief lesson in purpose of second ammendment.

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_159164139.html

nevadamedic
06-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Undercover police officer has traffic run-in, pulls gun on civilian driver with wife and 2 toddlers in car. Recieves brief lesson in purpose of second ammendment.

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_159164139.html

The cop should have radio'd for a marked unit to come and make the stop.

diuretic
06-10-2007, 12:39 AM
If those are the facts then I'd suggest the cop will be looking for another job somewhere.

Gaffer
06-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Sounds like an argument that got out of hand, not a traffic stop. The cop was totally in the wrong if this version is correct. I'd have shot him too.

chum43
06-10-2007, 12:17 PM
even if it were a traffic stop I'd have a hard time not shooting a uniformed police officer in a marked car that pointed a gun at my wife because of a mear traffic violation.

darin
06-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Awesome.

Gaffer
06-10-2007, 01:08 PM
even if it were a traffic stop I'd have a hard time not shooting a uniformed police officer in a marked car that pointed a gun at my wife because of a mear traffic violation.

Not the same thing. A uniformed officer in a marked car making a traffic stop and coming up with a gun drawn would be doing so for a reason. Your car could match a description of a car involved in something and the officer is usually going to point the weapon at the closest person to them while watching any others.

The guy in the news report is getting off free because he thought his family was at risk. You shooting a uniformed officer would have got you a long jail term if not shot yourself.

chum43
06-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Not the same thing. A uniformed officer in a marked car making a traffic stop and coming up with a gun drawn would be doing so for a reason. Your car could match a description of a car involved in something and the officer is usually going to point the weapon at the closest person to them while watching any others.

The guy in the news report is getting off free because he thought his family was at risk. You shooting a uniformed officer would have got you a long jail term if not shot yourself.

I know it's not even close to the same thing, I'm just pointing out this is insanely far from the point where I'd be ok with a cop threatning my wifes life when I've done nothing wrong.

and good reason or not, I believe it's wrong to do so when there is no obvious threat coming from the vehicle you pulled over directly... which in the case of the car matching a description wouldn't exist.

Gaffer
06-10-2007, 03:14 PM
I know it's not even close to the same thing, I'm just pointing out this is insanely far from the point where I'd be ok with a cop threatning my wifes life when I've done nothing wrong.

and good reason or not, I believe it's wrong to do so when there is no obvious threat coming from the vehicle you pulled over directly... which in the case of the car matching a description wouldn't exist.

If the car matches a description of one that was involved in a felony all cops will approach with guns drawn. It's called a felony stop. The officers don't know who is in the car, what involvement they may have had, if any. Just pulling over a vehicle for a traffic violation will never warrant pulling a weapon.

The cop in the news story needs to be fired. He showed he doesn't have the mental discipline to be a police officer. Drawing a weapon in anger is the worst thing anyone can do. He's obviously a hotdog with an I can do anything I want attitude.

Sitarro
06-10-2007, 03:15 PM
A prime example of the holier than though cops that think they rule the world and can go around breaking all of the very same laws they are suppose to uphold. Getting shot was good for his pampered ass and might be just what saves his life some day. If he would have done that to me he would be dead right now rather than walking with crutches.... one to the head, one to the chest. He was lucky he ran into someone that couldn't shoot...... punk.:coffee:

chum43
06-10-2007, 03:28 PM
If the car matches a description of one that was involved in a felony all cops will approach with guns drawn. It's called a felony stop. The officers don't know who is in the car, what involvement they may have had, if any. Just pulling over a vehicle for a traffic violation will never warrant pulling a weapon.

The cop in the news story needs to be fired. He showed he doesn't have the mental discipline to be a police officer. Drawing a weapon in anger is the worst thing anyone can do. He's obviously a hotdog with an I can do anything I want attitude.

I wasn't saying the cop would be negligent or out of his element or even going off procedure for doing such a thing... it's a completely different situation than the one above, I'm just saying that if I ever got stopped on a felony stop because I matched a description and I hadn't done anything and a cop points a gun at my wife, I'd shoot him... I don't care if you are christ himself, I don't personally give you authority to point a gun at me if I haven't directly threatened your life... and I'd surely go to prison for it, but the authority cops have to use force in this country without confirming a threat is ridiculous and far enough that I hope I'm never mistaken for a felon because i'll be one by the end of the night.

Joe Steel
06-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Coon Rapids police say Treptow and a 27-year old officer in an unmarked car got into a dispute on the road. After angry words and gestures, Treptow pulled his SUV up to the driver side of the other car, stopped at a light. Treptow says as the driver got out of his, he pulled out a weapon.

Looks like Treptow chased the officer. The officer tried to apprehend a dangerously out of control driver but Treptow pulled his gun and shot him. Treptow should be prosecuted for attempted murder.

Gaffer
06-10-2007, 05:30 PM
I wasn't saying the cop would be negligent or out of his element or even going off procedure for doing such a thing... it's a completely different situation than the one above, I'm just saying that if I ever got stopped on a felony stop because I matched a description and I hadn't done anything and a cop points a gun at my wife, I'd shoot him... I don't care if you are christ himself, I don't personally give you authority to point a gun at me if I haven't directly threatened your life... and I'd surely go to prison for it, but the authority cops have to use force in this country without confirming a threat is ridiculous and far enough that I hope I'm never mistaken for a felon because i'll be one by the end of the night.

I'm not coming down on you for how you feel. I understand. Circumstances can thrust you into unexpected situations tho. You would not be approached by the officers if they thought there was a threat. They would give you directions with their speaker system. And they would not approach with less than two.

The best thing to do whenever your stopped for anything is to pull over, turn off the car and put both your hands on the steering wheel. That disarms any possibility of a confrontation.

chum43
06-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm not coming down on you for how you feel. I understand. Circumstances can thrust you into unexpected situations tho. You would not be approached by the officers if they thought there was a threat. They would give you directions with their speaker system. And they would not approach with less than two.

The best thing to do whenever your stopped for anything is to pull over, turn off the car and put both your hands on the steering wheel. That disarms any possibility of a confrontation.

i understand what you are saying, and that is what I would always do, try to avoid all conflict, but I've heard enough of these stories and seen enough cops(but they only air the ones where the guy ends up with 10 lbs of coke and an assualt weapon in the trunk) to know that some cops don't need any good reason to pull a weapon on you if they think you might be a threat.

chum43
06-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Looks like Treptow chased the officer. The officer tried to apprehend a dangerously out of control driver but Treptow pulled his gun and shot him. Treptow should be prosecuted for attempted murder.

they stopped side by side at a stoplight... how does that suggest he was following him... he had his wife and kids in the car, they stopped at the same two lane stoplight... the officer got out of the car, treptow was apparently still in his, a man gets out of his car you defend yourself, and he didn't shoot until the officer had his gun pointed at his wife, so what if he pulled his gun after the officer GOT OUT OF HIS CAR AT A STOPLIGHT... out of control driver my ass.

diuretic
06-11-2007, 01:38 AM
On the felony stop. It would be unwise to pull a gun on an officer even if the officer were pointing his/her weapon. He or she would shoot you before you had a chance to even begin to fire your weapon, especially if you were seated in a vehicle.

As Gaffer pointed out, if the officer was solo then there would probably be backup which means that you would have two armed and alert cops watching you.

If you climbed out of the vehicle with a weapon in your hands you would be challenged and if you didn't comply you would be shot several times and probably killed. Best thing is to just do as you're told.

A cop doesn't know you or your wife. It's not personal, it's not meant to convey disrespect to you or your wife, it's a safety procedure, that's all.

This wasn't a felony stop. This was a cranky cop on a power trip.