PDA

View Full Version : Gore goes green, making changes to Nashville house

stephanie
06-10-2007, 12:55 AM
:coffee:
By ERIK SCHELZIG, Associated Press
June 10, 2007

NASHVILLE -- Al Gore, the environmental activist stung by criticism over his house's energy efficiency, says renovations are nearly complete to make it a model "green" home. "This plan has been in the works for a long time," the former vice president said in an interview Friday with The Associated Press. "The only thing that has changed is that we're more public about it because of the misleading attack by a global-warming denier group."
Earlier this year, a conservative group criticized Gore, citing electric bills that were far more than the typical Nashville home. Utility records showed that the Gore family paid an average monthly electric bill of about $1,200 last year for its 10,000-square-foot home.

Gore's renovation project, which he said has been in the works for months, seeks to meet the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED, standards established by the U.S. Green Building Council.

Once his upscale neighborhood changed zoning laws earlier this year, Gore was able to place solar panels on his roof, and he's now preparing to install a geothermal system that will, among other things, drastically reduce the cost of heating his pool.

Gore is also upgrading windows and ductwork, installing more energy-efficient light bulbs and creating a rainwater collection system for irrigation and water management.

The home houses offices for Gore and his wife, Tipper, as well as a commercial kitchen for formal events.

Drew Johnson, president of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, the group that initially criticized Gore, said the "renovations are obviously in direct response to our finding that he's a hypocrite on the issue of global warming."
http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/state/article/0,1406,KNS_348_5579134,00.html

06-10-2007, 03:47 AM
How is the picture of him in front of several computer screens and a piles of paper misleading?

how is comparing President Bush's environmentally friendly ranch to Al Gore's energy draining mansion misleading?

Shouldnt he have done this before he started telling everyone else to?

Doniston
06-10-2007, 09:56 AM
How is the picture of him in front of several computer screens and a piles of paper misleading?

how is comparing President Bush's environmentally friendly ranch to Al Gore's energy draining mansion misleading?

Shouldnt he have done this before he started telling everyone else to?I agree, 'course I have never beleived that Gore was as smart as a lot of people seem to think.

06-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I agree, 'course I have never beleived that Gore was as smart as a lot of people seem to think.

well, no offense, but he is a Democrat;)

Seriously though, I find it hard to think he is really sincere in this. It seems to me the only reason he is doing this is because he was caught and not because he actually cares about the environment.

Doniston
06-10-2007, 11:16 AM
well, no offense, but he is a Democrat;)

Seriously though, I find it hard to think he is really sincere in this. It seems to me the only reason he is doing this is because he was caught and not because he actually cares about the environment. I agree, but I have to ask: Why would I be offended? I'm not a democrat (or republican) and I have always beleived that he was an anbsolute "nothing person." That's why I stupidly voted forBush the first time. (I thought you was better than NOTHING.) I was wrong. Even Gore would have been an improvement (because he would have done NOTHING instead of the crap Bush has done.)

Yurt
06-10-2007, 02:56 PM
"This plan has been in the works for a long time,"

:lmao::lmao::lmao: