PDA

View Full Version : Lets let the country decide...

Guernicaa
06-10-2007, 12:55 PM
What are your feelings about having everyone in the nation vote (well if they want to vote...like the presidential elections) as to whether or not we should get out of Iraq..???

Gaffer
06-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Only if the media is forced to tell the whole story of what's going on.

5stringJeff
06-10-2007, 02:21 PM
America isn't a direct democracy. It's a republic, where our elected representatives decide such matters for us, or 'in our name.' Therefore, I would be opposed to your idea because it goes against the form of government outlined in our Constitution.

If the war was so bad, the Dems in Congress would simply repeal the resolution giving Bush the authority to make war in Iraq. But they don't have the ability to do so.

chum43
06-10-2007, 02:28 PM
yeah, I'm all for our representatives actually listening to us... but I don't think it would be in the countries best interest to start going by majority rules, too many uneducated voters would be swung by the mainstream media and all the private interests behind them.

Abbey Marie
06-10-2007, 03:17 PM
If we were to let people vote directly on such important matters, I would at a minimum want to see qualifying tests for intelligence and civic awareness. Especially for intelligence.

chum43
06-10-2007, 03:23 PM
If we were to let people vote directly on such important matters, I would at a minimum want to see qualifying tests for intelligence and civic awareness. Especially for intelligence.

and that would never happen, and has an even higher risk of corruption than our current system of representation, so I think the way it works now is the best we've got.

Abbey Marie
06-10-2007, 03:55 PM
and that would never happen, and has an even higher risk of corruption than our current system of representation, so I think the way it works now is the best we've got.

Agreed.

musicman
06-12-2007, 06:33 AM
What are your feelings about having everyone in the nation vote (well if they want to vote...like the presidential elections) as to whether or not we should get out of Iraq..???

What are your feelings on having everyone in the nation vote (at the state level...as designed by the U.S. Constitution) on abortion policy?

glockmail
06-12-2007, 06:58 AM
What are your feelings on having everyone in the nation vote (at the state level...as designed by the U.S. Constitution) on abortion policy?:popcorn:

theHawk
06-12-2007, 07:55 AM
What are your feelings on having everyone in the nation vote (at the state level...as designed by the U.S. Constitution) on abortion policy?

You mean let the poeple vote on laws that govern us here, and let the Commander-in-Chief do his job? Libs detest that idea. :laugh2:

musicman
06-12-2007, 07:58 AM
You mean let the poeple vote on laws that govern us here, and let the Commander-in-Chief do his job? Libs detest that idea. :laugh2:

LOL - that would be so...constitutional!

Kathianne
06-12-2007, 08:03 AM
LOL - that would be so...constitutional!

and as Jeff noted, there are reasons the Founder's chose a democratic Republic, not a direct democracy. Size and diversity being one, 'tyranny of the majority' being another.

Now I'm against abortion, but I'm also against a vote on war policies.

remie
06-12-2007, 09:33 AM

Ouch....I think you just gave him the high hard one.:laugh2: Unlikely that Obama or any other liberal would go for such a consitiutional idea.

Hagbard Celine
06-12-2007, 09:35 AM

Except we need to severely restrict corporate lobbyists so that individuals and citizen groups have a voice in Congress again.

MtnBiker
06-12-2007, 09:36 AM
In all fairness, I believe Obama08 meant a represenative vote, not a direct democratic vote.

Kathianne
06-12-2007, 09:42 AM
In all fairness, I believe Obama08 meant a represenative vote, not a direct democratic vote.

Are you referring to the electoral college? Sounded to me like he was advocating the people, rather than their representatives to vote? Maybe he'll clear that up?

Lightning Waltz
06-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Only if the media is forced to tell the whole story of what's going on.

And only if the politicians (like Bush) are forced, also, to tell the whole story of what is going on.

musicman
06-12-2007, 01:00 PM

He probably did. But it would be no less a usurpation of one of the few powers actually assigned - by the Constitution - to the federal government, rather than the people, through their duly elected state representatives. Rather an ironic suggestion on Obama's part, considering this: I'd bet a dollar to a donut that a national policy on abortion - enforced by the federal judiciary, in direct contravention of the Tenth Amendment - suits him just fine. The constant here seems to be - not the Constitution - but the leftist agenda.

MtnBiker
06-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Are you referring to the electoral college? Sounded to me like he was advocating the people, rather than their representatives to vote? Maybe he'll clear that up?

Yes, a clearer explanation of a vote would be good.

MtnBiker
06-12-2007, 01:15 PM
He probably did. But it would be no less a usurpation of one of the few powers actually assigned - by the Constitution - to the federal government, rather than the people, through their duly elected state representatives. Rather an ironic suggestion on Obama's part, considering this: I'd bet a dollar to a donut that a national policy on abortion - enforced by the federal judiciary, in direct contravention of the Tenth Amendment - suits him just fine. The constant here seems to be - not the Constitution - but the leftist agenda.

Agreed.

musicman
06-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Except we need to severely restrict corporate lobbyists so that individuals and citizen groups have a voice in Congress again.

A knotty problem indeed, Hag. Term limits, maybe - some manner of hearkening back to the time and mindset of public service as a sacrifice offered by the worthy, rather than as a career for weak charlatans. It's a vain hope, probably - but it's nice to dream of a return to true statesmanship.

I think that any repairs need to be made at that end of the problem, though. Otherwise, we flirt with the danger of all-too-subjectively applied restrictions. Better, I think, to keep the (all too willing) prey from getting too comfortably ensconsed in the "business" of government.

5stringJeff
06-12-2007, 08:11 PM

If that's true, there's no reason why Congress can't vote to repeal the resolution that authorized Bush to go to war in Iraq. It's all up to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid...