PDA

View Full Version : Syrian opposition says Christians will live as dhimmis in Sharia state

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-17-2013, 09:57 PM
http://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/09/syrian-opposition-says-christians-will-live-as-dhimmis-in-sharia-state.html Melkite Greek Catholic Patriarch Gregory III and other clerics at a funeral for three Christians murdered by Muslims in Maaloula

"The commanders of the Islamist brigades, who have declared more than once that their project was to establish a caliphate, have repeatedly indicated that no one will persecute the Christians or drive them out of their homes because they are 'people of the book' and dhimmis (non-Muslim citizens of the Islamic state), so there are no problems with them, unlike the rest of the communities such as Shiites, Alawites and Druze."

So apparently they want to subjugate the Christians, in accord with the cornerstone of the dhimmi system, Qur'an 9:29, which mandates that Muslims fight against the "People of the Book" until they "pay the jizya with willing submission and feel themselves subdued" (9:29). And the Shiites, Alawites and Druze will evidently just be massacred.

"Syrian Opposition Fails To Reassure Christians," by Tareq al Abed, translated from As-Safir (Lebanon) in Al-Monitor, September 11 (thanks to AINA):

Syrian Christians as a whole have not thrown their support behind either side in the Syrian war. Nevertheless, Christians in Syria have been subjected to a lot of pressure by both the regime and the opposition, which failed to give them (or any religious or ethnic Syrian component) any assurances or support.
Some armed groups have accused the church of supporting the regime. And many of the opposition’s statements and video clips do not reassure minorities that they will be participants in the new Syria.

The political opposition: failure without borders

In the revolution’s first months, Christians did join the protests in various towns and villages. One day of protests was even called “Good Friday.” In several areas, the churches opened their doors to displaced persons and those affected by the war, as in Daraa, Aleppo and Hama. But when the revolution was militarized and the Free Syrian Army (FSA) was formed, Christians started fearing for their future role in light of the growing Islamist trend in the various armed opposition battalions.

Matters became worse after some oppositionists in the field accused the regime of supporting the Christians, citing celebrations in al-Kassa’a and Bab Touma in Damascus. Christians’ fears were reinforced after bombings, shelling and clashes broke out at churches in Damascus and other sites such as Irbeen in the Damascus countryside, Homs and Deir ez-Zor
^^^^^ That is who Obama supports. Those that enslave Christians!--Tyr

jafar00
09-18-2013, 01:58 AM
Jihadwatch gets it all wrong again. Figures. Complete fear mongering.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Jihadwatch gets it all wrong again. Figures. Complete fear mongering. Really? How so? Is this part untrue?

In the revolution’s first months, Christians did join the protests in various towns and villages. One day of protests was even called “Good Friday.” In several areas, the churches opened their doors to displaced persons and those affected by the war, as in Daraa, Aleppo and Hama. But when the revolution was militarized and the Free Syrian Army (FSA) was formed, Christians started fearing for their future role in light of the growing Islamist trend in the various armed opposition battalions.

Gaffer
09-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Jihadwatch gets it all wrong again. Figures. Complete fear mongering.

You just don't like facts and truth.

To see who gets it wrong just look in a mirror.

jafar00
09-18-2013, 02:00 PM
They are getting it wrong about Jizya. It's just tax. Muslims also pay taxes under a different name, but are also obliged to go into military service to protect the Jizya payers. Do you pay income tax? :poke:

revelarts
09-18-2013, 02:29 PM
They are getting it wrong about Jizya. It's just tax. Muslims also pay taxes under a different name, but are also obliged to go into military service to protect the Jizya payers. Do you pay income tax? :poke:

Not to the Mosque, Mullah or local Jihad leadership, no.

if it's just a blanket gov't tax why is it specific to Christians?
do you pay a special tax to your gov't because you are a Muslim?

logroller
09-18-2013, 02:44 PM
I do and I believe that all residents should. However, tax should be indiscriminate of religion because, regardless of a theocracy's high ideals, the hazards of sectarianism will inevitably result in oppression. You don't believe oppression is preferable, do you?

jafar00
09-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Not to the Mosque, Mullah or local Jihad leadership, no.

if it's just a blanket gov't tax why is it specific to Christians?
do you pay a special tax to your gov't because you are a Muslim?

Let me explain a little about Jizya and what it really means.

Jizya is a tax on the citizens which provides protection from invaders, guarantees freedom of religion and is even used to build churches and temples, and absolves them of compulsory military service. Non Muslims are not required to pay Zakat.

Women, children, the poor, monks, hermits etc... don't have to pay. Only military age males are required to pay Jizya.

Muslims also pay Zakat, which is paid into a fund and distributed to the poor and needy (both Muslim and Non Muslim).

This is what I remember but it was about 10 years ago I studied the fiq involved.

I do and I believe that all residents should. However, tax should be indiscriminate of religion because, regardless of a theocracy's high ideals, the hazards of sectarianism will inevitably result in oppression. You don't believe oppression is preferable, do you?

It is supposed to combat oppression and give the non Muslim minority full rights and also some privileges Muslims don't have. That said, whether the Salafis could be trusted to implement it correctly or not is another question which I would err on the side of a definite "No" as an answer.

logroller
09-18-2013, 10:28 PM
It is supposed to combat oppression and give the non Muslim minority full rights and also some privileges Muslims don't have. That said, whether the Salafis could be trusted to implement it correctly or not is another question which I would err on the side of a definite "No" as an answer.
As I said, its ideals are intact but, as its sectarian, it will inevitably become oppressive. I'm reminded of the practice of segregation--like separate but equal-- it wasn't all that bad an idea but in practice it fostered oppression. That's not to say that nonreligious factionalism cannot deliver the same, which should cause one to question progressive tax rates. Ode to the 1%.

jafar00
09-18-2013, 11:04 PM
As I said, its ideals are intact but, as its sectarian, it will inevitably become oppressive. I'm reminded of the practice of segregation--like separate but equal-- it wasn't all that bad an idea but in practice it fostered oppression. That's not to say that nonreligious factionalism cannot deliver the same, which should cause one to question progressive tax rates. Ode to the 1%.

What would you say if Christians were forced to pay Zakat which is obligatory on Muslims instead of Jizya?

logroller
09-19-2013, 10:34 AM
What would you say if Christians were forced to pay Zakat which is obligatory on Muslims instead of Jizya?
I would say that any religious tax, ie compulsory giving is wrong-- doesn't matter what you call it. The state taxes and there's good reason for them not being religious. Church and State should be separate entities in both practice and function. The legitimate government function of protecting its citizens is dangerous enough; no need to insert the perils of religion discrimination into the mix.