PDA

View Full Version : Boy Facing Expulsion For Turning In Hunting Knife At School Football Game

Jeff
09-19-2013, 08:18 PM
I guess the kid would of been better off just not saying a word about the knife, what a great way to teach kids to be honest :rolleyes:

I remember being at the airport about 10 years ago and forgetting that I had a pocketknife on me. I always had it on me, and I remembered that I had it as I was going through security. Instead of waiting for the security personnel to find it, I decided I would tell them as soon as I could, so that they wouldn’t think I was trying to sneak it in. I pulled it out of my jacket where I always kept it and gave it to one of the guards. He gasped as if I were holding an explosive device. With eyes wide open and mouth gaping in awe, he unfolded it slowly and showed it to me as if I had never seen it before. “Yeah, it’s my knife. I know what it looks like.

http://lastresistance.com/3225/boy-facing-expulsion-turning-hunting-knife-school-football-game/

SassyLady
09-19-2013, 08:21 PM
He's not the first one for being responsible and honest!

PRINCETON, N.C. — The Princeton High School community is rallying around a student who was arrested and expelled for having an unloaded shotgun in his car in the school's parking lot.
David Cole Withrow, 16, was charged Monday with bringing a weapon on educational property, which is a felony. He was expelled from school and won't be allowed to graduate with his class later this month.
Family friend Kim Boykin said Withrow, an Eagle Scout and honors student, accidentally left his gun in the car after skeet shooting over the weekend. When he realized, he went inside to ask school officials if he could leave campus to take the gun home, but an administrator reported the weapon to police.
"To have him arrested and expelled from school is excessive," she said. "He locks his vehicle, goes inside and tries to do the right thing."
Others in the Princeton High community agree that Withrow's punishment is too harsh, especially after charges weren't filed when a loaded gun was found in an assistant principal's car two years ago. (http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/9278548/) The assistant principal and a school resource officer were each suspended for three days without pay in that incident.

http://www.wral.com/classmates-rally-around-princeton-student-expelled-for-gun-in-car/12401713/

Jeff
09-19-2013, 08:30 PM

We run into this all the time here in the south, kids hunt before school but the way I understand it is they just hide the weapons because a couple years ago a kid told the truth and his world was turned upside down just for being honest , so what did we do we taught our kids to be liars and many of the parents are ok with it because of how ridicules it is, I personally would tell my kids if they didn't have time to drop the weapons off at home then they couldn't go but circumstances do arise that would make that impossible and still be to school on time.

SassyLady
09-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I would tell my kids that school is not as important as doing the right thing and keeping themselves out of trouble ... which is to take the time to drop hunting gear off at home. If they are late getting to school I'll deal with it much easier than having to bail my kid out of jail for doing the right thing.

logroller
09-19-2013, 08:52 PM
While I think that being forthcoming is deserving of leniency, zero tolerance rules may not allow for such.
Also, I disagree with the "he was just being honest and responsible" narrative because if he had kept the knife in his pocket it wouldn't have been dishonest nor irresponsible IMO. Either way he broke the rules but if he'd kept it to himself, called someone to come get it from him, hid it somewhere off school grounds, etc, it would be a nonissue. We have a right not to incriminate ourselves-- here's proof that one should express it. But in seeing how textbooks are explaining the amendments its not surprising that kids don't understand.

SassyLady
09-19-2013, 09:01 PM
While I think that being forthcoming is deserving of leniency, zero tolerance rules may not allow for such.
Also, I disagree with the "he was just being honest and responsible" narrative because if he had kept the knife in his pocket it wouldn't have been dishonest nor irresponsible IMO. Either way he broke the rules but if he'd kept it to himself, called someone to come get it from him, hid it somewhere off school grounds, etc, it would be a nonissue. We have a right not to incriminate ourselves-- here's proof that one should express it. But in seeing how textbooks are explaining the amendments its not surprising that kids don't understand.

I'm not sure adults understand what has happened to this country.

logroller
09-19-2013, 09:19 PM
We run into this all the time here in the south, kids hunt before school but the way I understand it is they just hide the weapons because a couple years ago a kid told the truth and his world was turned upside down just for being honest , so what did we do we taught our kids to be liars and many of the parents are ok with it because of how ridicules it is, I personally would tell my kids if they didn't have time to drop the weapons off at home then they couldn't go but circumstances do arise that would make that impossible and still be to school on time.
Teaching your kids not to incriminate oneself is not teaching them to lie. I accidentally left a pocket knife in my backpack once and I just left it there, made sure no one saw it and took it home with me-- does that make me a liar? Its not like anyone asked if I had a knife and I said no.

When was the last time anyone sped and went to the nearest patrolman to do the 'right' thing?

Abbey Marie
09-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Teaching your kids not to incriminate oneself is not teaching them to lie. I accidentally left a pocket knife in my backpack once and I just left it there, made sure no one saw it and took it home with me-- does that make me a liar? Its not like anyone asked if I had a knife and I said no.

When was the last time anyone sped and went to the nearest patrolman to do the 'right' thing?

Lying is an affirmative act. I'd say knowingly keeping a disallowed object in your backpack makes you possibly sneaky, or just "not forthcoming".

Jeff
09-19-2013, 10:10 PM

So with this Logic if my kid carries a kill gun ( a pistol) to hunt with and is running late its OK to carry to school as long as he doesn't tell anyone :poke: Yea OK , also I seen ya post to call someone to come get it, well Log here at the local HS all guest must check in and out at the office and if ya where there to just see a kid it happens in the office were there are people moving all about all the time, no way could ya hand it off to a parent ( or anyone else ) without being caught, so again we tell the kids to just hide it, is it lying no not exactly but it isn't what i want to teach my kids either

tailfins
09-19-2013, 10:14 PM

PRINCETON, N.C. — The Princeton High School community is rallying around a student who was arrested and expelled for having an unloaded shotgun in his car in the school's parking lot.
David Cole Withrow, 16, was charged Monday with bringing a weapon on educational property, which is a felony. He was expelled from school and won't be allowed to graduate with his class later this month.
Family friend Kim Boykin said Withrow, an Eagle Scout and honors student, accidentally left his gun in the car after skeet shooting over the weekend. When he realized, he went inside to ask school officials if he could leave campus to take the gun home, but an administrator reported the weapon to police.
"To have him arrested and expelled from school is excessive," she said. "He locks his vehicle, goes inside and tries to do the right thing."
Others in the Princeton High community agree that Withrow's punishment is too harsh, especially after charges weren't filed when a loaded gun was found in an assistant principal's car two years ago. (http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/9278548/) The assistant principal and a school resource officer were each suspended for three days without pay in that incident.

http://www.wral.com/classmates-rally...-car/12401713/ (http://www.wral.com/classmates-rally-around-princeton-student-expelled-for-gun-in-car/12401713/)

Fortunately, Jerry Falwell, Jr. and Liberty University came to the rescue.

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=90766

A North Carolina high school student made national headlines when he was arrested on Monday and faces expulsion for accidentally leaving a shotgun in his pickup truck in the school parking lot. Liberty University Chancellor Jerry Falwell, Jr., while traveling in North Carolina, learned of Cole Withrow's story from a local evening news broadcast. The 18-year-old was wearing a “Liberty Football” T-shirt. Falwell followed up with him, discovering his sister was a graduate.
Falwell issued the following statement: "When I reached out to encourage this responsible and impressive young man, I learned that he wanted to go to Liberty University, but couldn't afford it. I told him that we would do whatever he needed so that he can attend Liberty. Anti-gun zealots tried to vilify him for doing the right thing, so Liberty has decided to award him the help he needs to attend a private Christian college. I was really impressed with Cole. He is a humble and meek Christian kid who only wants to do the right thing! We want students like Cole Withrow."

logroller
09-19-2013, 11:03 PM
So with this Logic if my kid carries a kill gun ( a pistol) to hunt with and is running late its OK to carry to school as long as he doesn't tell anyone :poke: Yea OK , also I seen ya post to call someone to come get it, well Log here at the local HS all guest must check in and out at the office and if ya where there to just see a kid it happens in the office were there are people moving all about all the time, no way could ya hand it off to a parent ( or anyone else ) without being caught, so again we tell the kids to just hide it, is it lying no not exactly but it isn't what i want to teach my kids either

I didn't say it was "OK"-- I said it wasn't lying, not in any way. Its against rules (ie 'not OK') whether by accident or intention.

Pretty sure you could check the kid out, take them to the car, drive off campus and make the exchange. Easy peasy.

BTW- I notice you didn't answer the question, when was the last time you turned yourself in for speeding?

Jeff
09-19-2013, 11:21 PM
I didn't say it was "OK"-- I said it wasn't lying, not in any way. Its against rules (ie 'not OK') whether by accident or intention.

Pretty sure you could check the kid out, take them to the car, drive off campus and make the exchange. Easy peasy.

BTW- I notice you didn't answer the question, when was the last time you turned yourself in for speeding?

To be Honest about the speeding deal it was last Wednesday , :laugh: I was on my way home from Church and heading down a big hill and not paying attention , UNTIL I saw the cop sitting in the middle I looked down and was running 75 in a 55 well of course he pulled out and got behind me but he didn't pull me over instead he rode behind me for like 8 miles then pulled me over, as he walked up to the truck I was rifling through my wallet to get my Lisc. and he said don't worry about it , seems he called my plate in and it came back to a Toyota and I drive a Dodge ( why he was calling in the plate if he didn't have me for speeding I dont know ) but he told me don't worry about it and I told him I had been speeding and figured that is why he pulling me he said he saw I was going fast but wasn't clocking me so I have no idea why he was calling in the plate but I did tell him and still got away with it

But yes I understand what you are saying , as soon as I sent that last post I knew what your reply would be and I realized I should of explained myself better, no if the child doesn't say anything he isn't lying but it still isn't right , the entire law is ridicules I believe if you hand it to the principal or call a parent to come get it you shouldn't be in trouble and I really don't feel teaching my 12 year old to just not say anything ( although legal ) is the right way to teach him, I believe with these ridicules rules they have Sassy has the right idea bring it home and deal with being late