PDA

View Full Version : What are your top 3?

Abbey Marie
09-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Movies, of all time. I know, narrowing it to just 3 is very difficult, but it makes it more interesting, IMO.

(Let's try to keep this fun, no political rants or personal jabs. They are just movies, and these are just opinions).

I'll start:

1. Platoon
2. Meet Joe Black
3. Rebecca

hjmick
09-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Lawrence of Arabia

That's one... I'll need to think on this some...

Larrymc
09-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Movies, of all time. I know, narrowing it to just 3 is very difficult, but it makes it more interesting, IMO.

(Let's try to keep this fun, no political rants or personal jabs. They are just movies, and these are just opinions).

I'll start:

1. Platoon
2. Meet Joe Black
3. RebeccaMan on Fire, Commando, Deliverance,

revelarts
09-20-2013, 12:13 PM

I'll start:

1. Platoon
2. Meet Joe Black
3. Rebecca

You say "your" top.
ok, I think there are films that are "better" than these but these are among my all time favs.

Dr. Strangelove
Casablanca
Groundhog Day

Abbey Marie
09-20-2013, 12:14 PM
You say "your" top.
I think there are films that are "better" than these but these are among my all time favs.

Dr. Stragelove
Casablanca
Groundhog Day

Thanks for clarifying. By "top" I meant your personal favorites. I'm not going for a film class treatise here. ;)

Larrymc
09-20-2013, 12:17 PM
You say "your" top.
ok, I think there are films that are "better" than these but these are among my all time favs.

Dr. Strangelove
Casablanca
Groundhog DayI think "Your" covered it.:laugh:

Noir
09-20-2013, 12:21 PM
A Clockwork orange, 2001 A Space Odyssey, and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.

aboutime
09-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Offhand. I have many, many more.
But I'll start with these...

Mister Smith goes to Washington

A Few Good Men

Patton

Arbo
09-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Hard to say. Depends on mood. The first half of Full Metal Jacket is probably the best ever though. It never get's old.

Gaffer
09-20-2013, 12:46 PM
I definitely have many I could list. But three it is.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended versions)

Zulu

The Alamo (2002 remake)

Thunderknuckles
09-20-2013, 12:48 PM
In no particular order:

Goodfellas
Forrest Gump
And a tie between 5 Deadly Venoms and Master of the Flying Guillotine.

I had to throw some good old cheesy Kung Fu Theater in there. I loved that stuff as a kid and couldn't wait for it to come on on Saturdays!

revelarts
09-20-2013, 12:51 PM
LOL! now there's a freaking TITLE for a movie!

Master of the Flying Guillotine!!

I've got to find that one.

Nukeman
09-20-2013, 01:00 PM
My can be a little obscure.

no particular order

Donnie Darko
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (short film musical by Jos Whedon)
Blazing Saddles..

tailfins
09-20-2013, 01:11 PM
1. Temple Grandin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278469/
2. Adam http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185836/
3. A Beautiful Mind http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268978/
* I particularly enjoy the scene where he tells the hallucination of a little girl "You're not real!" Imagine needing to test whether a person you see is real or not.

And a close tie for third:
Braveheart http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112573/

Thunderknuckles
09-20-2013, 01:24 PM
LOL! now there's a freaking TITLE for a movie!

Master of the Flying Guillotine!!

I've got to find that one.
Every man should own a copy of this movie, preferably displayed in your living room next to one of your wife's frilly little picture frames to remind everyone that a real man dwells in the home!

Thunderknuckles
09-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Oh damn, that was a good one too!

revelarts
09-20-2013, 01:30 PM
1. Temple Grandin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278469/
2. Adam http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185836/
3. A Beautiful Mind http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268978/
* I particularly enjoy the scene where he tells the hallucination of a little girl "You're not real!" Imagine needing to test whether a person you see is real or not.

Temple Grandin is a wonderful film, great true story

Arbo
09-20-2013, 01:30 PM
So nobody has Sharknado in their top 3?

Abbey Marie
09-20-2013, 08:30 PM
I definitely have many I could list. But three it is.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended versions)

Zulu

The Alamo (2002 remake)

Can't go wrong with LOTR. :thumb:

WiccanLiberal
09-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Hmmm hard question.
1. Key Largo
2. Rear Window
3. The Wolfman ( the original with Lon Chaney Jr. )
My list may be subject to change without notice depending on mood.

SassyLady
09-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Dances With Wolves
Fried Green Tomatoes
Dirty Dancing

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-20-2013, 11:12 PM
My three not in any particular order. 1. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) William Holden, Alec Guinness, , 2. High Noon (1952) - Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly 3. The Longest Day (1962) John Wayne, Robert Ryan, Richard Burton, Henry Fonda. Choosing just three was an absolute ordeal for me. For a bonus 4th --- Ride the High Country (1962) Randolph Scott, Joel McCrea ... ------
Directors --Sam Peckinpah (4) ,
Ken Annakin, Andrew Marton, Bernhard Wicki. (3)
Fred Zinnemann. (2)
David Lean (1)

Drummond
09-21-2013, 06:09 AM
So nobody has Sharknado in their top 3?

Never even heard of it. I shall research it, though.

Drummond
09-21-2013, 06:29 AM
My 'top 3' .. I agree with Tyr, pinning this down to three was a definite ordeal. Even the top 10 would've been difficult ...

In no order of preference -

The Sum of All Fears

1984 (the one starring John Hurt and Richard Burton)

V for Vendetta

That last one, V for Vendetta, you might have to be British to fully appreciate all that it offers (??). Made by Warner Bros - so I think that must make it American ? - it nevertheless comes across as a very British production. Set in a 'post-Apocalyptic Britain' .. the film diverges a bit from the book. In the book, a 'near future Britain' is surviving a nuclear war in which Britain was only indirectly involved, but is suffering hardships because of it all the same. A Fascist power seizes Government and rules, opposed by 'V', an anonymous, masked terrorist who sets out to rid the UK of its tyranny.

The film is different, in that Britain emerged from a form of plague from which it survived, courtesy of a last-minute cure being found .. but not before 'Norsefire', a Fascist Party, wins power in a landslide election, courtesy of the need Britain has to survive anarchy from the plague. John Hurt is the 'Chancellor' and absolute ruler, and rigid propagandising in the media, along with a State Police system, keeps his grip on power in place. Along comes 'V', who uses Guy Fawkes' Gunpowder Plot from centuries ago as his theme for mounting a propaganda resistance.

He demolishes the Old Bailey ... breaks into the 'BTN Tower' (renamed Post Office Tower) and manages to use the Emergency Broadcast system to pipe his message of defiance to TV screens across Britain. The story unfolds .. with, ultimately, a Tube train packed with explosives being sent under the Houses of Parliament to detonate under it.

Great stuff. As I say, actually an American-made film, I believe, but unmistakeably British throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chqi8m4CEEY

revelarts
09-21-2013, 07:31 AM
My 'top 3' .. I agree with Tyr, pinning this down to three was a definite ordeal. Even the top 10 would've been difficult ...

The Sum of All Fears

V for Vendetta

That last one, V for Vendetta, you might have to be British to fully appreciate all that it offers (??). Made by Warner Bros - so I think that must make it American ? - it nevertheless comes across as a very British production. Set in a 'post-Apocalyptic Britain' .. the film diverges a bit from the book. In the book, a 'near future Britain' is surviving a nuclear war in which Britain was only indirectly involved, but is suffering hardships because of it all the same. A Fascist power seizes Government and rules, opposed by 'V', an anonymous, masked terrorist who sets out to rid the UK of its tyranny.

The film is different, in that Britain emerged from a form of plague from which it survived, courtesy of a last-minute cure being found .. but not before 'Norsefire', a Fascist Party, wins power in a landslide election, courtesy of the need Britain has to survive anarchy from the plague. John Hurt is the 'Chancellor' and absolute ruler, and rigid propagandising in the media, along with a State Police system, keeps his grip on power in place. Along comes 'V', who uses Guy Fawkes' Gunpowder Plot from centuries ago as his theme for mounting a propaganda resistance.

He demolishes the Old Bailey ... breaks into the 'BTN Tower' (renamed Post Office Tower) and manages to use the Emergency Broadcast system to pipe his message of defiance to TV screens across Britain. The story unfolds .. with, ultimately, a Tube train packed with explosives being sent under the Houses of Parliament to detonate under it.

Great stuff. As I say, actually an American-made film, I believe, but unmistakeably British throughout.

Very familar with V.

the writer of the original comic is British Alan Moore and the also the writer of one of the most highly priased comics in history. " the Wacthmen". that was made into a film as well It was OK but you could never pack into the film what he put into the watchmen. the transfer of medium was a problem as well. The Watchmen is a masterwork of the medium.

But yeah V is an engaging and somewhat psychological disturbing film.

1984 is powerfully disturbing. Another Brit.

Abbey Marie
09-21-2013, 10:51 AM

The Sum of All Fears

V for Vendetta

As long as no one hurts Westminster Abbey. I don't think I could watch that!

Abbey Marie
09-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Hard to say. Depends on mood. The first half of Full Metal Jacket is probably the best ever though. It never get's old.

So, I'm putting you down for FMJ, and Sharknado ;) Pick a third, you can do it!

Trigg
09-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Love a lot of the ones already listed, especially Blazing Saddles.

My favs are

Steel Magnolias
My Girl (makes me cry every time I see it)
Lonesome Dove

Arbo
09-21-2013, 11:25 AM
So, I'm putting you down for FMJ, and Sharknado ;) Pick a third, you can do it!

Never watched sharknado, just heard all the fun poked at it.

Drummond
09-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Very familar with V.

the writer of the original comic is British Alan Moore and the also the writer of one of the most highly priased comics in history. " the Wacthmen". that was made into a film as well It was OK but you could never pack into the film what he put into the watchmen. the transfer of medium was a problem as well. The Watchmen is a masterwork of the medium.

But yeah V is an engaging and somewhat psychological disturbing film.

1984 is powerfully disturbing. Another Brit.

Well, that's us Brits for you .. powerfully disturbing ! :laugh2: