PDA

View Full Version : ‘We Should Be Able To Rape Girls in Video Games’: The Morality of Grand Theft Auto V

Jeff
09-23-2013, 05:12 AM
This seems terrible to me, personally my kids will never play this game ( unless done at a friends house ) but I was interested in what others thought of this, is this part of the reason our Country has zero morals ? I believe so , between games and TV I think that is a big part of our problem.

As the entertainment industry continues to embraces mankind’s deepest, darkest, most vile fantasies will you support it? A number of students at Colorado State University said this week they were all for the violence and misogyny depicted in Grand Theft Auto V, a game that crossed the $1 billion sales mark within just three days of its release, according to Reuters. “In Grand Theft Auto V you can hire a prostitute… have sex with the prostitute and as she gets out of your car, you can kill her and get your money back. Do you think that is acceptable?” “The video game isn’t a representation of real life” said one student. “It’s like a fantasy.” What is the difference, morally, between the prostitute scenario and a video game that allows the gamer to rape women? When juxtaposed will students see the filth behind the commercially successful video game franchise?

http://conservativevideos.com/2013/09/able-rape-girls-video-games-morality-grand-theft-auto-v/

Larrymc
09-23-2013, 05:39 AM
This seems terrible to me, personally my kids will never play this game ( unless done at a friends house ) but I was interested in what others thought of this, is this part of the reason our Country has zero morals ? I believe so , between games and TV I think that is a big part of our problem.

http://conservativevideos.com/2013/09/able-rape-girls-video-games-morality-grand-theft-auto-v/I agree Jeff, but its up to the parents, to keep such things out of the house, was a time when people would sacrifice for the good of there children, when my girls were coming up, we would not have cable TV, no TVs in their rooms, one computer in the family room only, PG only movies. only Contemporary Christian Music Of course my wife and I were not raised Christian so we had our vises, and quite enjoyed an R movie, are maybe a few drinks and secular music,ect ect when the girls where away.

Arbo
09-23-2013, 09:25 AM
While GTA seems to take it too far, I think the whole 'video games cause real life violence' and 'video games cause a lack of morals' is all BS.

Can some people get to 'into' such games and blur the lines? Yep. But does playing them cause that to happen? Nope. It all goes back to the base/foundation laid down by parents. As well as mental health. Most of the games out there are 'war' type games, where you are killing other people. They are played daily by millions of people, and yet we don't have millions of people imitating the games, out and about shooting down people.

Larrymc
09-23-2013, 10:04 AM
While GTA seems to take it too far, I think the whole 'video games cause real life violence' and 'video games cause a lack of morals' is all BS.

Can some people get to 'into' such games and blur the lines? Yep. But does playing them cause that to happen? Nope. It all goes back to the base/foundation laid down by parents. As well as mental health. Most of the games out there are 'war' type games, where you are killing other people. They are played daily by millions of people, and yet we don't have millions of people imitating the games, out and about shooting down people.I agree for the most part, but i would apply the same principles as movies, where my kids are concerned.

Abbey Marie
09-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Weren't the Columbine shooters super into violent video games? Just sayin'.

DragonStryk72
09-23-2013, 11:32 AM

http://conservativevideos.com/2013/09/able-rape-girls-video-games-morality-grand-theft-auto-v/

Actually, the whole "killing prostitutes" thing isn't what you think in the game. Yeah, they do use prostitutes to heal up, but that's gone down a ton since healing became a natural function over time, and it's both quicker and cheaper to hit hospital in-game real quick once you learn where it is in most situations. As to the killing of hookers in the game, sometimes it's an accident because the drive controls aren't that good, so you can hit someone at say 5 mph, and you caught them with the very edge of your bumper, so they're dead now, and drop money. It's the money that's the key, here, so the whole killing prostitutes thing isn't really a fantasy, but a way to exploit the game engine to accrue money and HP. Yeah, I'm certain there are a few sick fucks that are going that route, but that's a fringe minority of gamers, and they're generally people that we gamers are trying to stay away from.

But the parents comment is spot on, and I cannot tell you how many times I saw parents getting the game for the kids who were still in the single digits. I had one lady who asked me about GTA IV being a good game for her 9 year old. When I said no, she asked why, and I proceeded to explain about the various crimes committed, the killing of cops, the execution mode.... but you know the ONLY thing that stopped this woman from buying the game? I finally mentioned that you could heal up by hiring a prostitute. That's it, murdering cops, people at random, stealing vehicles, fine. Hookers? OH HELL NO! Video games do not hide this crap, it's always right out in the open, such as in Grand Theft Auto V,where it's named after a felony, and the box art further clears up what the game is about. Should both of these be insufficient, the next trick is looking at the ratings box. And this woman wasn't some white trash or anything, she was in a woman's pants suit, and was talking as though she'd clearly been to college, so it's not simply a culture thing.

There's actually controversy in the gaming community right now, because gamers are fed up with a section in the game where waterboarding is used, and it's an unskippable section of the game, nor do we get the option to not participate, or to stop it, which is odd for a GTA game, where you can generally do as you wish, that being the whole attraction. Yeah, you're a criminal, but you're your kind of criminal.

The things is, I've never been a huge fan of the GTA series. It gets boring quickly, and I never really liked the driving mechanic, which takes up a lot of the game. Now, if you want a good game to replace it with for your kids, take a look at the Dynasty Warriors series. Dynasty Warriors is set during the Three Kingdoms Era of Chinese history, and is based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms epic of Chinese literature. You can play as various different heroes of the time, and experience their individual story of the events that happened. It has a ton of replayability, it's fun, and if you don't mention it loudly, it's actually teaching your kid something about Chinese history and culture. The game centers around three main factions: Liu Bei, who fights to "create a world without suffering" after seeing so many of the common people dying in petty wars; Sun Jian, who fights for justice, and Cao Cao, who fights for power, becoming basically the "bad guy" of the series. The quotes on bad guy are because he's still an honorable man, but the Han emperor is weak, and Cao Cao sees it as a time to unite China under his own rule.

If he simply must have himself an FPS game, then you're looking at the WWII era Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Battlefield games, which are all quite well done, and while there is violence, it's set during WWII, with you fighting against the Japanese and the Nazi fronts.

For driving games, Gran Tourismo is an excellent series that uses an actual licensing system that requires greater to skill to keep progressing, offers the largest variety of vehicles to drives, and allows you to fully upgrade your vehicles. The Forza series is also a lot of fun in this regard.

Arbo
09-23-2013, 11:48 AM

They may have been. But it is irrelevant because it was how they were raised along with mental issues that were unaddressed that lead them to do what they did.

DragonStryk72
09-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Ever seen anyone play cowboys and indians, or similar mimed violence? People got on this whole kick with video games, but the fact is, before it was video games, it was Rap and Goth music, then before that it was Rock-n-Roll. At no point have they thought to blame serious mental issues that clearly need to be looked into, and that a persons overall choices in media could simply point to the fact that something speaks to them. In the case of Columbine, they had the game Doom, and a couple of the other Eagle Scouts in my troop had Doom as well. We didn't feel any need to shoot up a school. Now, we did feel a need to get the mod to Doom where the enemies all got replace by Barney, the purple dinosaur, but I think most parents wanted to go at him with a chainsaw back then.

It's like when they used to say that sitting too close to the TV would end you up in glasses. In actuality, we reversed the cause and effect. The need for glasses had kids moving closer to the television to be able to see the picture more clearly. People pick out games that they want, based on their tastes, and so here, we're looking at a reversal again. People with mental problems picked up games that they liked.

Now, yeah, if your kid stops interacting with other kids, starts wearing all black clothing, a black duster, Focuses on more and more violent games and expression, then by all means, look into them. It's not the games, the music, or the movies, those are just expressions.

You know there was an opening to the World of Darkness Sorcerer book by White Wolf that I loved, back when people were still claiming D&D was the devil:

Legal Disclaimer Necessitated by Stupid People

Take a deep breath, and repeat after me:
"I am not a wizard. I am not a vampire. I do not drink blood, worship Stan, or kill animals or people."

Is that all clear, clear as in "crystal"? As in "of course not"? As in "Do not pass Go, do not collect $200? Do not go on Rikki Lake and brag about drinking blood?" Cool. Let's proceed as if this kind of nonsense was unnecessary.

If it's not clear, throw this book and all others like it in the nearest garbage can and go seek mental help. Don't make your illness other people's problem.

Thank you.

Jeff
09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Ever seen anyone play cowboys and indians, or similar mimed violence? People got on this whole kick with video games, but the fact is, before it was video games, it was Rap and Goth music, then before that it was Rock-n-Roll. At no point have they thought to blame serious mental issues that clearly need to be looked into, and that a persons overall choices in media could simply point to the fact that something speaks to them. In the case of Columbine, they had the game Doom, and a couple of the other Eagle Scouts in my troop had Doom as well. We didn't feel any need to shoot up a school. Now, we did feel a need to get the mod to Doom where the enemies all got replace by Barney, the purple dinosaur, but I think most parents wanted to go at him with a chainsaw back then.

It's like when they used to say that sitting too close to the TV would end you up in glasses. In actuality, we reversed the cause and effect. The need for glasses had kids moving closer to the television to be able to see the picture more clearly. People pick out games that they want, based on their tastes, and so here, we're looking at a reversal again. People with mental problems picked up games that they liked.

Now, yeah, if your kid stops interacting with other kids, starts wearing all black clothing, a black duster, Focuses on more and more violent games and expression, then by all means, look into them. It's not the games, the music, or the movies, those are just expressions.

You know there was an opening to the World of Darkness Sorcerer book by White Wolf that I loved, back when people were still claiming D&D was the devil:

I have to agree with ya here, we played army and Cowboy and Indians when we where kids , heck the Cowboy thing was when we where really young but in the early 70' late 60's all ya heard about was war so of course we played it and no not one of the kids I grew up with now sits in jail, but if the games are not a problem then how do we blame music and or movies ? Personally I won't let my kids ply GTA because they are to young 11 years old I think is to young, know my older boy by the time he was 14 or 15 yes he had it and played it a lot, the only issue I had with it then was the language which to be honest I had a hard time understanding anyway

aboutime
09-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Sounds like just as good an excuse for whatever anyone wants to hear. Rather than actually dealing with the problems. Just find some reason to explain it away. Then, it's no longer a problem....AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HURT ANYONE in reality.