PDA

View Full Version : Middle School Student Suspended for Playing with Toy Gun…In His Own Yard

Jeff
09-26-2013, 07:35 AM
This is getting ridiculous, kids now being expelled for shooting a toy on there own property , but if he was shooting kids at the bus stop then it is the schools responsability , also he broke the law by shooting it without his Mom's OK but he should be punished by his Mom not the school .

A suspended seventh grade Virginia Beach student will find out soon if he is expelled for the rest of the year for shooting an airsoft gun in his own yard. Like thousands of others in Hampton Roads, Khalid Caraballo plays with airsoft guns. Caraballo and his friend Aidan were suspended because they shot two other friends who were with them while playing with the guns as they waited for the school bus. The two seventh graders say they never went to the bus stop; they fired the airsoft guns while on Caraballo’s private property.

http://conservativevideos.com/2013/09/middle-school-student-suspended-playing-toy-gun-yard/

fj1200
09-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Um, the headline doesn't appear to match the facts:

Caraballo and his friend Aidan were suspended because they shot two other friends who were with them while playing with the guns as they waited for the school bus.

Thunderknuckles
09-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Agreed. If the kids fired on two other people, even if friends at the bus stop, they should be punished. I think suspension is a bit harsh. Saturday work detail would have sufficed. Do they even do that anymore?

Nukeman
09-26-2013, 01:49 PM
OK with kids in school for over 15 years now, I must say after reading the student code of conduct (which is pretty standard EVERYWHERE).

If you are going TO OR FROM A SCHOOL SPONSORED ACTIVITY IT IS THE SAME AS BEING AT SCHOOL. I have paraphrased slightly but that is the idea of it. In other words if they are on their way to school or a school function it is "like" they are at school, so the SAME rules apply. Yes I know it may seem ridiculous but that is what most parents and student sign each year, don't like it than go to the board meeting and have it stricken from the handbook.

Do I agree with it??? Not really!! it is there to protect the school and other children from this type of behavior, if these two kids were in fact shooting the other kids waiting for the bus than they are guilty as charged and should be punished. this type of scenario is EXACTLY why they put that portion in the handbook...

cadet
09-26-2013, 02:49 PM
OK with kids in school for over 15 years now, I must say after reading the student code of conduct (which is pretty standard EVERYWHERE).

If you are going TO OR FROM A SCHOOL SPONSORED ACTIVITY IT IS THE SAME AS BEING AT SCHOOL. I have paraphrased slightly but that is the idea of it. In other words if they are on their way to school or a school function it is "like" they are at school, so the SAME rules apply. Yes I know it may seem ridiculous but that is what most parents and student sign each year, don't like it than go to the board meeting and have it stricken from the handbook.

Do I agree with it??? Not really!! it is there to protect the school and other children from this type of behavior, if these two kids were in fact shooting the other kids waiting for the bus than they are guilty as charged and should be punished. this type of scenario is EXACTLY why they put that portion in the handbook...

Remember that time you had to have a talk with the principle for kyle bringing in that toy army guy?

cadet
09-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Alright, so they were on one kids lawn shooting each other?
I would have a hissy fit with the principle...

fj1200
09-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Alright, so they were on one kids lawn shooting each other?
I would have a hissy fit with the principle...

I might agree with you if they hadn't shot other kids who were presumably there because they were at the bus stop. Unless of course your argument is that the pellet knows to stop at their property line. :poke:

fj1200
09-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Now I do think zero tolerance is dumb but what's the argument for ignoring some warning signs and heeding others?

cadet
09-26-2013, 04:38 PM
I might agree with you if they hadn't shot other kids who were presumably there because they were at the bus stop. Unless of course your argument is that the pellet knows to stop at their property line. :poke:

An air soft gun...
Really? they had to take measures this big for something like that???

revelarts
09-26-2013, 04:42 PM
the school is going catch all kinds of H3ll. Va Beach and Hampton roads is filled with military and gun lovers.
this is not going to be a happy time for those school officails.

fj1200
09-26-2013, 04:44 PM
An air soft gun...
Really? they had to take measures this big for something like that???

?

Now I do think zero tolerance is dumb but what's the argument for ignoring some warning signs and heeding others?

revelarts
09-26-2013, 04:58 PM
the school is wrong. period.

but the thing that concerns me most is that it's serial stupidity and actions by people in the community.

1st stupid laws were written
then stupid school codes.
then a stupid neighbor see a kid with what she knows is a toy gun and CALLS 911.
the cops take the call seriously.
then the cops contact the school,
the school, losses well educated, it's mind and wants to expel the kids.

tag team stupidity

Jeff
09-27-2013, 05:47 AM

I did make sure to add that to my comments , seems the media wanted ya to think other wise and just say the school is wrong, I also agree they are pushing for to much punishment but the kid was wrong

Larrymc
09-27-2013, 10:25 AM
This is getting ridiculous, kids now being expelled for shooting a toy on there own property , but if he was shooting kids at the bus stop then it is the schools responsability , also he broke the law by shooting it without his Mom's OK but he should be punished by his Mom not the school .

http://conservativevideos.com/2013/09/middle-school-student-suspended-playing-toy-gun-yard/Geeez does the Liberal ignorance and over reach have any bounds??

Arbo
09-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Geeez does the Liberal ignorance and over reach have any bounds??

The zero tolerance laws were not pushed or put in place, by liberals.

aboutime
09-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Geeez does the Liberal ignorance and over reach have any bounds??

Larrymc. Being familiar with Virginia Beach, as I am. This doesn't surprise me at all. It's typical of what the education system is, and has become...as in. This school district, from what I have been hearing from neighbors near those schools is...They have stopped teaching children to Write Cursive English, and several other traditional teaching tools like U.S. History are now on the way out.

Thankfully. Our grand children all live elsewhere, and are getting their educations from KNOWLEDGEABLE, QUALIFIED, teachers who place The Children First...over their personal career goals of pretending to be teachers, administrators, principals, and HUMAN beings.

Arbo
09-27-2013, 02:07 PM
They have stopped teaching children to Write Cursive English

OMG! No cursive? Say it isn't so! I mean, it is used for such much in life, personal and business, that the kids NEED to learn such a thing! Next thing you know they will stop teaching them how to fix wagon wheels, then how will they get around!

:laugh:

Larrymc
09-27-2013, 02:08 PM
The zero tolerance laws were not pushed or put in place, by liberals.Not sure why you believe such, but i have nothing either, other than attempting to reach out into private property sounds like a liberal thing to me.

Arbo
09-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Not sure why you believe such, but i have nothing either, other than attempting to reach out into private property sounds like a liberal thing to me.

I don't think liberals were behind sodomy laws and other things that reach onto private property, where they?

Larrymc
09-27-2013, 02:27 PM
I don't think liberals were behind sodomy laws and other things that reach onto private property, where they?Outlawing Sodomy, was Moral and or social issues, in fact if they kept it private there would be do issue right.

Arbo
09-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Outlawing Sodomy, was Moral and or social issues, in fact if they kept it private there would be do issue right.

You can make whatever excuses you want, it doesn't change the fact that it was the RIGHT that put such laws in place, and thus has a history of reaching out onto private property.

Larrymc
09-27-2013, 02:55 PM
You can make whatever excuses you want, it doesn't change the fact that it was the RIGHT that put such laws in place, and thus has a history of reaching out onto private property.I don't deny the right is against Homosexuals, and i guess ones ass is private property, so if outlawing bestiality, incest, and pedophilia, is an overreach of private property than i must concede,

Arbo
09-27-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't deny the right is against Homosexuals, and i guess ones ass is private property, so if outlawing bestiality, incest, and pedophilia, is an overreach of private property than i must concede,

Wow. That's one hell of a lot of spin. It is quite simple, you suggested that it is the 'left' that pushes itself on private property. You were proven wrong, and are trying to compensate and make excuses. Your attempt fails.

Larrymc
09-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Wow. That's one hell of a lot of spin. It is quite simple, you suggested that it is the 'left' that pushes itself on private property. You were proven wrong, and are trying to compensate and make excuses. Your attempt fails.I agreed with you, but you don't like the whole truth, so you call it a spin, and dismiss it. typical

Arbo
09-27-2013, 05:12 PM
I agreed with you, but you don't like the whole truth, so you call it a spin, and dismiss it. typical

No, you said that 'reaching out' to private property was a 'liberal thing'. I gave an example of the right doing it, you tried to make excuses for that example.

tailfins
09-28-2013, 06:33 AM
No, you said that 'reaching out' to private property was a 'liberal thing'. I gave an example of the right doing it, you tried to make excuses for that example.

That's a mighty facile approach. You need to point out who implemented most of the zero tolerance if you want to make a valid point.

Arbo
09-28-2013, 08:12 AM
That's a mighty facile approach. You need to point out who implemented most of the zero tolerance if you want to make a valid point.

Ah, proves him wrong, so it must be 'facile'. LOL. You guys really do the DNC proud.

DragonStryk72
09-28-2013, 10:21 AM

http://conservativevideos.com/2013/09/middle-school-student-suspended-playing-toy-gun-yard/

Yeah, people are pissed here in VA Beach. Technically, the kid isn't "expelled", he and six other boys are merely suspended til June. Now, no parent involved is bitching at the police for catching the boys up short, but they are supremely pissed at the school. This did not happen on school grounds, or even at the bus stop. This was on private property, away from school, and did not involve any member of the faculty.

The school has clearly exceeded its authority, and I've yet to see anyone defending the school's action here.

DragonStryk72
09-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Y'know, I've seen both sides getting idiotic with these things. The fact is, this isn't a matter of Conservative vs. Liberal, because everyone on both sides is angry about it. This has to do with finally being brought around to all those various idiotic "little" policies that were made "for the children". Various groups used fear mongering to push these sorts of policies down our throats, and they did so quietly, so most people just didn't notice until things like this happen, and show just how broken the system is becoming.

Arbo
09-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Y'know, I've seen both sides getting idiotic with these things. The fact is, this isn't a matter of Conservative vs. Liberal, because everyone on both sides is angry about it. This has to do with finally being brought around to all those various idiotic "little" policies that were made "for the children". Various groups used fear mongering to push these sorts of policies down our throats, and they did so quietly, so most people just didn't notice until things like this happen, and show just how broken the system is becoming.

:clap:

Larrymc
09-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Y'know, I've seen both sides getting idiotic with these things. The fact is, this isn't a matter of Conservative vs. Liberal, because everyone on both sides is angry about it. This has to do with finally being brought around to all those various idiotic "little" policies that were made "for the children". Various groups used fear mongering to push these sorts of policies down our throats, and they did so quietly, so most people just didn't notice until things like this happen, and show just how broken the system is becoming.I see your point, as both sides seem to agree that in this case it was an over reach, but Liberals are notorious for taking a real problems that needs to be addressed, and going way overboard with the fix, just like playing with toy guns, causes children to become violent, or become mass shooters, i don't see it.

DragonStryk72
09-29-2013, 02:22 PM
I see your point, as both sides seem to agree that in this case it was an over reach, but Liberals are notorious for taking a real problems that needs to be addressed, and going way overboard with the fix, just like playing with toy guns, causes children to become violent, or become mass shooters, i don't see it.

Even in places like Texas, These sorts of things creeped in. Basically, the gist of it that I've come to: At some point or other, something bad happened, somewhere. I'm not even kidding here, tons of school policies have been born out of situations that don't even happen in their, based on a paranoia of something that happened elsewhere coming to their school. So in a form of panic.

Now yes, sometimes it's liberals, sometimes it's conservatives, and a lot of times it's politicians coming up on reelection and getting pressure from parenting groups that, should they call out the obvious bullshit being dumped in their lap, will get painted as wanting their constituents children to die. After all, these measures are for the safety of the children, so what reasonable person wouldn't enact them?

I didn't even realize how deep this sort of think had gotten in our country until the other day. There's an elementary school right behind my house, with a huge open field that I cut across to go to the 7-11 on the other side of the school. Well, the other day, I was getting ready to head over to the 7-11 for my usual danish and Strawberry Quik when I suddenly noticed kids playing soccer... and I immediately stopped to go back out the front of the house and take the long way around. I was actually reactionarily afraid of the consequences of walking "too close" to the kids and it causing problems. How sick is that? Ten years ago, the thought would never have even crossed my mind, I would have just cruised on by, maybe taken note of an awesome play, or chuckled quietly at a funny gaff, but that would've been it.

Larrymc
09-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Even in places like Texas, These sorts of things creeped in. Basically, the gist of it that I've come to: At some point or other, something bad happened, somewhere. I'm not even kidding here, tons of school policies have been born out of situations that don't even happen in their, based on a paranoia of something that happened elsewhere coming to their school. So in a form of panic.

Now yes, sometimes it's liberals, sometimes it's conservatives, and a lot of times it's politicians coming up on reelection and getting pressure from parenting groups that, should they call out the obvious bullshit being dumped in their lap, will get painted as wanting their constituents children to die. After all, these measures are for the safety of the children, so what reasonable person wouldn't enact them?

I didn't even realize how deep this sort of think had gotten in our country until the other day. There's an elementary school right behind my house, with a huge open field that I cut across to go to the 7-11 on the other side of the school. Well, the other day, I was getting ready to head over to the 7-11 for my usual danish and Strawberry Quik when I suddenly noticed kids playing soccer... and I immediately stopped to go back out the front of the house and take the long way around. I was actually reactionarily afraid of the consequences of walking "too close" to the kids and it causing problems. How sick is that? Ten years ago, the thought would never have even crossed my mind, I would have just cruised on by, maybe taken note of an awesome play, or chuckled quietly at a funny gaff, but that would've been it.Well i can't argue with that Dragon, im in Texas and i've seen sum stuff, that would make you scratch your head.