PDA

View Full Version : Sopranos Finale [possible spoiler]

jimnyc
06-11-2007, 05:36 AM
Who saw it last night? And your thoughts if you did?

I was pissed at first. I thought my TV lost signal when the screen went black. Then like 15 seconds later the credits started scrolling. My initial thoughts is that it should have had a definitive ending, but the more I think about it the more I like the ending. It leaves a lot to think about. Not to mention it sets it up nicely if they ever want to do a movie in the future.

I wish it was still going to continue though. Out of all the series of programs I've seen in my life, The Sopranos was easily the best. It was far from your stereotypical mafia flick as it had so much more than the mafia in the story.

jimnyc
06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Didn't anyone watch the Sopranos? It was arguably the best show in the past 10 years, and definitely the most anticipated finale in years, and no discussion about how it ended?

Anyone wanna see a clip of Phil Leotardo getting his head run over last night? :)

jimnyc
06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Ok, since you're all excited about the ending as I was, here's another chance for all of you to see Phil's coconut get cracked! :laugh2:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/phil.avi

Gaffer
06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
I've never watched it. But thought I would answer so you wouldn't feel so alone in this thread. :poke:

jimnyc
06-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I've never watched it. But thought I would answer so you wouldn't feel so alone in this thread. :poke:

Oh man, you suck! I saw a reply and thought "finally, someone to chat with the Sopranos about"!

Surprised OCA hasn't chimed in yet. Maybe he's still pissed at the ending. Personally, although different than I expected, I thought the ending was genius.

manu1959
06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
So here is what I found out.

The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the brothas at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There we re three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he.

Pale Rider
06-11-2007, 06:42 PM

I haven't either. Not one minute of it.

jimnyc
06-11-2007, 06:43 PM
manu - I had heard the same stuff but apparently even that's not true. Guess we'll just be left wondering!

(from another forum)

Paolo Colandrea, owner of Paul’s Penndel Pizza, last month filmed a potentially pivotal scene for the final episode of “The Sopranos.” Colandrea, 47, describes his role as simply “mystery man,” a guy who walks into a diner and locks eyes ominously with Tony, who’s sitting at a table with wife, Carmela, and son, A.J. Colandrea sits down at the counter, stares at Tony again, gets up to go the bathroom, and… He can’t say what happens next. But even if he could, it might not mean a thing.
“Sopranos” creator David Chase reportedly filmed three different endings to ensure secrecy. Colandrea, who spent 18 hours on the set one day and 10 hours two weeks later, doesn’t even know if his scene will appear.
Colandrea, who doesn’t have any lines, filmed his scene at Holsten’s Diner in Bloomfield, N.J. Off camera, he said he mingled with series stars James Gandolfini (Tony) and Edie Falco (Carmela) and met Robert Iler (A.J.) and Chase. Colandrea also saw Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Meadow) on the set but didn’t talk to her. (source: phillyburbs.com (http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-06092007-1360360.html))

The Boys in the last episode were not boy scouts they were two sons of some random man he had a full head of hair in this episode and in the train shop there was a man with a buzz cut receding. In the train store it was 2 boys and in the diner 3 boys.

Cannot confirm the trucker but thats a stretch.
Some are saying that the trucker(usa hat) was the sports store owner that tony screwed in season 2. but that guy was played by robert patrick....from the terminator, the melting dude or whatever he was fuckin called.

Last night the usa hat guy was played by:
Patrick Joseph Connolly returns to the stage fresh off his feature film debut in "The Gardener of Eden," which premiered at the TriBeca Film Festival. Connolly will also appear in the final episode of the HBO hit, "The Sopranos." He also has appeared a theater production of, "A Letter From Ethel Kennedy.

I have also heard and kinda saw that tony walks into diner looks and sees himself, that could be another camera trick like last week when bobby/sil/and tony are in back of bing then in restaurant in same seats without missing a beat

Abbey Marie
06-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Sorry, we dropped HBO years ago because it has so much trash on it, and that meant the end of Sopranos for us.

jimnyc
06-11-2007, 07:26 PM
How can you just toss away the Sopranos like that!!?? We didn't have it either, but I subscribed just for the time it aired and will now cancel that it's over.:dance:

Abbey Marie
06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
How can you just toss away the Sopranos like that!!?? We didn't have it either, but I subscribed just for the time it aired and will now cancel that it's over.:dance:

It was tough to give it up initally, but we have a child, and these are our standards. :salute:

jimnyc
06-11-2007, 07:41 PM
It was tough to give it up initally, but we have a child, and these are our standards. :salute:

I have one too, he just has to miss a few meals so I can watch cable! :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I have one too, he just has to miss a few meals so I can watch cable! :laugh2:

:laugh2: Jim, you are a trip!

jimnyc
06-11-2007, 07:49 PM
:laugh2: Jim, you are a trip!

Hey, ya gotta have the priorities straight! The boy can survive with a little less food, I couldn't without my Sopranos!

OCA
06-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok here I am.

I'll admit this season has been kinda a dissappointment to me but last night's final episode had me on the edge of my seat. Glad to see Phil get popped and his grape crushed but expected a little more killing than that. Actually the funniest shit was the cat and Paulie, his character is fucking genius, he's a hardcore gangster with a shitload of hits under his belt but then he's a paranoid freak who is always waxing poetic about this phobia or that phobia, anybody remember season 3 at Satriales and his diatribe about floors in men's shitters?:laugh2:

The ending? Fucking brilliant, I knew we had a storm rolling through last night and when the screen went blank I screamed and ran to the window wondering what the fuck just happened, then the credits rolled and all this adrenaline rolled out of me, I thought Meadow was gonna walk in as Tony, Carm and the faggoty son were getting clipped.

The people in the restaurant were not the people Manu thinks they were, i'm almost positive of it, i've seen every episode like 10 times and didn't remember any of them in fact the Black kids who tried to whack Tony for Mikey out of Junior's crew got clipped soon after the failed hit like Mikey did. I know for a fact that that wasn't the sports store guy who's character was named Davey and who lost 40,000 worth of "ziti" at the high roller poker game that included Frank Sinatra Jr. and who ended up getting his sports store busted out by Tony and the boys.

I will keep my HBO as I love Entourage.

OCA
06-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Also I do not believe their will ever be a movie, ever. Too many of the main characters gone: Chris dead, Sil is gonna be a vegetable if he survives, Johnny Sak dead, Junior pisses himself now, Bobby Bacala smoked, Phil Leotardo dead...who the fuck is left?

manu1959
06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Ok here I am.

I'll admit this season has been kinda a dissappointment to me but last night's final episode had me on the edge of my seat. Glad to see Phil get popped and his grape crushed but expected a little more killing than that. Actually the funniest shit was the cat and Paulie, his character is fucking genius, he's a hardcore gangster with a shitload of hits under his belt but then he's a paranoid freak who is always waxing poetic about this phobia or that phobia, anybody remember season 3 at Satriales and his diatribe about floors in men's shitters?:laugh2:

The ending? Fucking brilliant, I knew we had a storm rolling through last night and when the screen went blank I screamed and ran to the window wondering what the fuck just happened, then the credits rolled and all this adrenaline rolled out of me, I thought Meadow was gonna walk in as Tony, Carm and the faggoty son were getting clipped.

The people in the restaurant were not the people Manu thinks they were, i'm almost positive of it, i've seen every episode like 10 times and didn't remember any of them in fact the Black kids who tried to whack Tony for Mikey out of Junior's crew got clipped soon after the failed hit like Mikey did. I know for a fact that that wasn't the sports store guy who's character was named Davey and who lost 40,000 worth of "ziti" at the high roller poker game that included Frank Sinatra Jr. and who ended up getting his sports store busted out by Tony and the boys.

I will keep my HBO as I love Entourage.

it is illiteration (probably used the word wrong but it sounds good).....it is tony's past....he can't escape it.....the dude at the bar was phil's nephew....go look at the credits.....he gets up to go to the bathroom.....god father.....what does meadow walk in on....a happy family? tony getting clipped....the army brat wanna be shooting it out....why does tony's shirt change during the scene.....trippy ending lots of references to his past and any ending is possible....

Said1
06-16-2007, 06:56 PM
I just watched it, I thought my tv went off too. :laugh2:

dan
06-18-2007, 09:58 AM
I watched it last night, amazing episode. I didn't go in expecting a clear-cut ending, only because for all its popularity, the show has always had a very arty curve to it, I knew David Chase wouldn't end it with a shootout, or with Tony getting arrested, or anything that normal.

I read a decent article on it yesterday that claimed there is a lot of evidence that Tony got killed. Aside from what everyone else is saying about everyone in the restaurant being from Tony's past, they mention that the part where they cut from Tony walking in to Tony sitting down, Tony sitting down is framed much like the Last Supper. And if you look very close, on the wall behind him, there is a picture of a giant tiger. Earlier in the episode, we had an orange cat supposedly symbolizing death (or at least Chris's unresolved death), now we have another orange cat, sitting in exactly the place Judas was sitting in the Last Supper! In addition, throughout the series, the color orange has always signified death (in season 1, Tony is shot while buying a bottle of orange juice). This is an homage to The Godfather, in which the color orange always appeared before someone died.

There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the main gist of it. Tony died. Oh, also, they showed that flashback of Bobby in the boat talking about getting whacked, saying how you never see it coming, everything just goes black. Hmmm......

But, regardless, I don't really believe any of that. I think the point was, for the moment, things are okay, but Tony's gotta watch his back for the rest of his life, everyone who walks through that door could potentially be the guy that kills him. Or the Feds. I thought the final scene was brilliant in the way it built so much tension out of more or less nothing happening (even Meadow not being able to parallel park was killing me), and then it just STOPS. You're left with that tension, the same way Tony is. Plus, an amazing use of a song ("Don't Stop Believin'") that I thought was way too played-out for it to be that important.

OK, Jim, you finally got this thread going, and you know I'll debate movie and TV minutae til I'm blue in the face!

Anyway (and I'm sure people will find this ridiculous), but I truly consider The Sopranos a masterpiece. I doubt television will ever be considered more than a frivilous medium, but I truly think it's just as important a work as many of the classic works of literature. I'm really depressed it's over.

The only way I could see a Sopranos movie working is if they did a flashback type thing, like, say, set it in 2004 or something, that way all the old characters could come back. Maybe do Sopranos: The Hunt for the Headless Russian. :laugh2:

But, really, I think a movie would just ruin the ending of the show, which I think would suck.

Perianne
09-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Jim, I liked The Sopranos. I think it was an excellent series (though it has a LOT of bad words). I prefer Breaking Bad, but think they are both great.