PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to Apologize For: GOP Comes Out Fighting

jimnyc
10-02-2013, 08:02 AM
The Democrat-controlled Senate — not the GOP-controlled House — is responsible for closing the federal government by rejecting Republicans' efforts at compromise, House Speaker John Boehner said early Tuesday morning.

"We believe we should fund government, and we think there ought to basic fairness for all Americans under Obamacare," said a visibly exhausted John Boehner, flanked by members of the House GOP leadership.

GOP strategist Glen Bolger wrote in a memo Monday that the party should let Americans know it had tried to compromise by pulling back from plans to kill Obamacare outright to merely delaying it a year. "That’s a pretty big move, and is worthy of negotiation, not sneering rejection," he wrote.

It was a message seconded by Rep. Marlin Stutzman of Indiana who told reporters that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid was uninterested in negotiating.

"He doesn’t want to deal with our debt. He doesn’t want to deal with our deficit," Stutzman said, according to The New York Times.

Regardless of how the shutdown is presented to the American people, for stalwart GOP members, principle needs to trump politics.

Rep. Steve King of Iowa said Obamacare opponents would prevail, "because we’re right, simply because we’re right." As for possible political damage to the party as a fallout of the closure, King told the Times.

"We can recover from a political squabble, but we can never recover from Obamacare."
Other Republicans sounded equally determined.

"What was I elected for? To try to change the law on behalf of my constituents, to stand on my core principles and do my best to represent them ethically, honestly, based on the core principles we share," Rep. John Culberson of Texas told the Times.

It was a line echoed by Rep. Steve Pearce of New Mexico: "At times, you must act on principle and not ask what cost, what are the chances of success," he said.

Republicans commentators said party leaders have nothing to apologize for.

"There’s no reason for conservatives to accept rules of the game in which it’s always appropriate to agitate for an expansion of government, but illegitimate to roll it back," Ramesh Ponnuru wrote.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Shutdown-Obamacare-GOP-reaction/2013/10/01/id/528637

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Shutdown-Obamacare-GOP-reaction/2013/10/01/id/528637 One should never apologize for doing the right thing. I know I never have and never will. -Tyr