PDA

View Full Version : ALL members of congress should be FORCED to do this

jimnyc
10-02-2013, 08:05 AM
I honestly don't know how many Democrats are doing the same, as it's not listed in this article. I did a few quick searches on some major Democrat websites, and Google of course, and came up empty.

Sen. Ted Cruz to Donate Salary During Shutdown

For each day the government is shut down, Sen. Ted Cruz says he’ll donate his salary to charity.

The Texas Republican made his promise Monday, just hours before lawmakers hit a stalemate that sent the government into a shutdown, the National Review reports.

"If . . . Harry Reid forces a government shutdown, I intend to donate my salary to charity for each day the government is shut down," Cruz said in a statement.

Cruz makes $174,000 a year. That’s $467.71 a day — before tax.

Montana Republican Rep. Steve Daines plans to do the same. The Missoulian reports
Daines will donate his salary to the Big Sky Honor Flight, a nonprofit that flies vets to Washington D.C. to visit war memorials.

House Speaker John Boehner says he'll simply return his check to the Treasury during the shutdown. He earns $223,500 or $612.33 a day. Boehner wrote a letter to House members encouraging them to return their checks as well.

Reporters have asked other lawmakers if they'll do the same, but many have shied away from answering the question.

Cruz says he'll donate his salary because he knows many federal employees will go without pay during the shutdown.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/cruz-donate-salary-shutdown/2013/10/01/id/528635

Larrymc
10-02-2013, 08:19 AM
I honestly don't know how many Democrats are doing the same, as it's not listed in this article. I did a few quick searches on some major Democrat websites, and Google of course, and came up empty.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/cruz-donate-salary-shutdown/2013/10/01/id/528635Wow where did this Republicans come from, if their the New old Republicans, glad to see them, I see no news from the Dems, or McCain?

Kathianne
10-02-2013, 11:54 AM
One must ask why this 'political suicide' by the right has the lefties so crazed that they are threatening WWII vets and refusing to fund the military as a stop gap to the stop gap? Could it be they fear that if this goes on for some time, while the sky may not fall, their mishandling of all things, including not passing any budgets in 4 years may become all too apparent?

Larrymc
10-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Wow where did this Republicans come from, if their the New old Republicans, glad to see them, I see no news from the Dems, or McCain?DemRat McCain disappointed with colleagues. (no link just saw on news) no surprise.