PDA

View Full Version : Can a Continuing Resolution fund a program that wasn't funded last year?

Little-Acorn
10-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Probably not hard to figure out what program I'm talking about, eh? *COUGH*aca*COUGH*

I thought a CR was strictly a stopgap measure, to be used in an emergency when a budget hadn't been passed. Its function was to fund next year's government at last year's levels - a matter of convenience until the pols came up with a real budget.

The whole idea behind a Continuing Resolution, was to continue funding from last year, for one more year (or six months or whatever).

If, say, Obamacare wasn't in last year's spending (because it wasn't implemented yet), can it legally be put into a Continuing Resolution for this coming year?

Anybody know?

Kathianne
10-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Since Reid and Obama have chosen not to pass a budget since he began his presidency, in a sense it is the de facto way of funding the government. Why that fact, along with the concerns of 'conservatives' regarding Obamacare front and center of all appearances by those on the right, I don't know. If presented correctly the American people have been saying for years that these are major problems. http://www.senate.gov/reference/glossary_term/continuing_resolution.htm
continuing resolution/continuing appropriations - Legislation in the form of a joint resolution enacted by Congress, when the new fiscal year is about to begin or has begun, to provide budget authority for Federal agencies and programs to continue in operation until the regular appropriations acts are enacted.

glockmail
10-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Since Reid and Obama have chosen not to pass a budget since he began his presidency, in a sense it is the de facto way of funding the government. Why that fact, along with the concerns of 'conservatives' regarding Obamacare front and center of all appearances by those on the right, I don't know. If presented correctly the American people have been saying for years that these are major problems. http://www.senate.gov/reference/glossary_term/continuing_resolution.htm

Obamacare was in the last three years (non) budgets. Its a 7 year (non) budget paid for with ten years of taxes.

aboutime
10-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Obamacare was in the last three years (non) budgets. Its a 7 year (non) budget paid for with ten years of taxes.

Simple answer to all of the questions concerning Obama, Reid, and the Democrats in the Senate.

They are all INTENTIONALLY ignoring, and disobeying their Oath, as well as the Constitution.

And, the reasons they get away with it without interruption is....A.G. Holder. The supposed Top Cop, and False Expert in how to BREAK THE LAW LEGALLY.

"BECAUSE....HE SAYS SO!"

Arbo
10-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Probably not hard to figure out what program I'm talking about, eh? *COUGH*aca*COUGH*

I thought a CR was strictly a stopgap measure, to be used in an emergency when a budget hadn't been passed. Its function was to fund next year's government at last year's levels - a matter of convenience until the pols came up with a real budget.

The whole idea behind a Continuing Resolution, was to continue funding from last year, for one more year (or six months or whatever).

If, say, Obamacare wasn't in last year's spending (because it wasn't implemented yet), can it legally be put into a Continuing Resolution for this coming year?

Anybody know?

Not sure about that one. But if you ever find an answer I'd like to know as well.

Kathianne
10-02-2013, 02:23 PM
This 'delayed' CR was only for 7 weeks, no joke! http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/20/politics/congress-spending-showdown/index.html
...In legislative jargon, the House passed a continuing resolution that would keep the government funded for the first 11 weeks of the fiscal year that begins October 1. Without some kind of spending measure by then, parts of the government would have to curtail services or shut down... Cantor said Friday the House would consider a one-year debt ceiling measure next week that contains other conservative-backed proposals, expected to include postponing implementation of Obamacare for a year and approving the Keystone oil pipeline from Canada. Obama, however, rejected playing politics with the debt ceiling, which is the limit for how much the federal government can borrow to pay bills it owes...

glockmail
10-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Simple answer to all of the questions concerning Obama, Reid, and the Democrats in the Senate.

They are all INTENTIONALLY ignoring, and disobeying their Oath, as well as the Constitution.

And, the reasons they get away with it without interruption is....A.G. Holder. The supposed Top Cop, and False Expert in how to BREAK THE LAW LEGALLY.

"BECAUSE....HE SAYS SO!"
Holder serves at the pleasure of The Obama; he's not charged with enforcing the Constitution. SCOTUS has long ago decided not to be the arbitrator of what is Constitutional if it is an act of the POTUS or Congress. Enforcing the Constitution is the realm of Congress, and they lack the balls to impeach anyone. This is an inherent flaw in our system.