PDA

View Full Version : This makes me want to go eat 16 packs of sugar

tailfins
10-03-2013, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa-QIcJZJmQ

jafar00
10-03-2013, 08:33 PM
It's good to see such common sense advertising. The recommended high carb/low fat diet is bad enough for our health without adding super sweetened sodas into the mix.

Going low carb/high fat is the best way to avoid heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

Drummond
10-03-2013, 08:41 PM
It's good to see such common sense advertising. The recommended high carb/low fat diet is bad enough for our health without adding super sweetened sodas into the mix.

Going low carb/high fat is the best way to avoid heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

A high fat diet is good for the heart, Jafar ?

How, exactly ?

tailfins
10-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Feel free to make your appreciation known in a tangible way by sending your check to:

Office of the State Treasurer
State House, Room 227
Boston, MA 02133

That way my neighbors down the road won't have to finance such boondoggles.

jafar00
10-03-2013, 09:17 PM

How, exactly ?

Look again. I said Low Carb/High Fat.

When you eat a high carb diet, your blood sugar is elevated which causes inflamed arteries. When your arteries are inflamed, fat deposits itself resulting in inflammatory heart disease. When blood sugars are normal, you don't get that inflammation.

My own recent blood work shows that my Low Carb/High Fat (Ketogenic) diet is beneficial to my health too. (Healthy reference range in brackets)

Cholesterol 4.8 (3.5-5.4)
Triglyceride 1.2 (0.1-2.0)
HDL 1.2 (>1.0)
Cholesterol/HDL-C Ratio 4.0 (<5.0)
VLDL 0.6 (0.1-0.9)
LDL 3.0 (2.1-4.0)
Serum/Plasma Glucose 4.9 mmol/L (3.4-7.7)

Also, I've lost 24kg (53lb) so far eating this way which is also good for my heart!

If you want some science, you can see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/#!po=68.7500 or http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/what-causes-heart-disease.html

Jeff
10-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Dang did I see correct , 20 once soda has the equivalent of 16 packs of sugar in it , glad I drink my southern sweet tea that probably has more sugar in it ;) time to switch to un-sweet tea I believe

jafar00
10-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Dang did I see correct , 20 once soda has the equivalent of 16 packs of sugar in it , glad I drink my southern sweet tea that probably has more sugar in it ;) time to switch to un-sweet tea I believe

You could probably switch to an alternative sweetener if you can't kick the sweet tooth. Natvia does it for me. http://www.natvia.com.au/
I use it to make Avocado Chocolate Mousse or Mug Cakes.

Jeff
10-04-2013, 12:55 AM
You could probably switch to an alternative sweetener if you can't kick the sweet tooth. Natvia does it for me. http://www.natvia.com.au/
I use it to make Avocado Chocolate Mousse or Mug Cakes.

I believe that my Dad uses that jafar , my wife uses something else but according to what my Dad says that is just as bad for ya as sugar just in a different way, but one thing for sure is I am going to try something different , Thanks for the advice !

fj1200
10-04-2013, 04:54 AM
I'd rather have sugar than chemicals. My son always wants to drink Coke Zero but I keep telling him to drink regular Coke instead. Not that we have it much anyway. But maybe I'll head to the beer growler place around here and get some root beer loaded with cane sugar... yum.

Jeff
10-04-2013, 07:08 AM
A little off topic here but as I made my coffee this morning I put two tea spoons of sugar in it and realized each tea spoon is equivalent to a packet of sugar so if I drink 3 cups of coffee that is 6 packs right there. A friend of mine who drank soda all day long quit for like two weeks and lost about 20 lbs, I didn't think it was possible but he was drinking like 7 or 8 bottles of soda a day so if ya subtract all that sugar I guess it is possible

PostmodernProphet
10-04-2013, 07:17 AM

How, exactly ?

the problem is that most low fat food you find in the grocery store is kept moist by adding another ingredient as a substitute......corn syrup......so you take away fat and replace it with sugar......the result is worse......

jafar00
10-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I believe that my Dad uses that jafar , my wife uses something else but according to what my Dad says that is just as bad for ya as sugar just in a different way, but one thing for sure is I am going to try something different , Thanks for the advice !

Stevia is sometimes bulked up with maltodextrin which is just as bad as sugar as far as insulin response goes. The one I use, Natvia is mixed with Erythritol which is a sugar alcohol that doesn't cause an insulin response so is suitable for a Ketogenic diet. Liquid sweetener is safer than powdered if you are unsure. Avoid Maltitol, Sorbitol, Xylitol, and Lactitol as these do cause a marked insulin response and can halt the Ketosis process.

I'd rather have sugar than chemicals. My son always wants to drink Coke Zero but I keep telling him to drink regular Coke instead. Not that we have it much anyway. But maybe I'll head to the beer growler place around here and get some root beer loaded with cane sugar... yum.

Stevia is extracted from a plant like sugar is. It's not just a chemical created in a lab.

the problem is that most low fat food you find in the grocery store is kept moist by adding another ingredient as a substitute......corn syrup......so you take away fat and replace it with sugar......the result is worse......

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's hard to find full fat foods in the supermarket. Low fat foods are causing an epidemic of obesity due to the high amount of added sugar in them.

Kathianne
10-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Moderation is the key for anyone healthy, which hopefully includes most children.

I never gave my kids diet pop. Then again, we didn't allow them to have pop regularly, it was a treat, usually when in a restaurant or when we had company over.

There's a lot to be said for Jafur's advice, I would also recommend for most adults over 40, to loosely follow diet and recipes dor type 2 diabetics.

An example, notice that exercise is part & parcel:

http://www.cornerstones4care.com/ToolsResources/HelpfulToolsResources.aspx?campaign=000730721&WT.Mc_id=Cornerstones4Care_-_Initial_Stages&Adgroup=Recipes_%3E_Dessert_Recipes_%28Exact%29&Wt.srch=1&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=diabetes%20recipes&utm_content=Search&utm_campaign=Cornerstones4Care%20-%20Initial%20Stages&src=000730721&RDCT=false

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Moderation is the key for anyone healthy, which hopefully includes most children.

I never gave my kids diet pop. Then again, we didn't allow them to have pop regularly, it was a treat, usually when in a restaurant or when we had company over.

There's a lot to be said for Jafur's advice, I would also recommend for most adults over 40, to loosely follow diet and recipes dor type 2 diabetics.

An example, notice that exercise is part & parcel:

http://www.cornerstones4care.com/ToolsResources/HelpfulToolsResources.aspx?campaign=000730721&WT.Mc_id=Cornerstones4Care_-_Initial_Stages&Adgroup=Recipes_%3E_Dessert_Recipes_%28Exact%29&Wt.srch=1&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=diabetes%20recipes&utm_content=Search&utm_campaign=Cornerstones4Care%20-%20Initial%20Stages&src=000730721&RDCT=false Our son will be 7 years old in December this year and he has had exactly three half glasses of soda in all that time. We still have him on real fruit juices not the sugar filled imitations. For treats its mostly real fruits but occasionally ice cream or chocolate cake. As recently he won a little wager with me on "his thread". He is not being taught that its normal to have cokes like most people drink water. And he is not being taught dessert and sugar filled treats are a three, four or five time a day right! I only hope we can keep this up well into his teenage years. --Tyr