PDA

View Full Version : Clarification, on what membership is here.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Jim, for this official clarification. This subject has come up a few times before. I hope this from you puts it to rest .
And no, no way att all is any kind of donation here required, or change anything with respect to the board. Some of the people I have been closest with have never been able to. Some of my better friends have. We all have different situations. In no way does it make a difference, and in no way is it required.

Abbey Marie
10-05-2013, 10:16 AM
I've known Jim for I'm guessing about 10 years, and on two boards. I have never heard him criticize someone for not contributing.

jimnyc
10-05-2013, 11:24 AM
The donate button was never really intended to be something permanent as a form of income or anything like that. I went through some rough periods and needed a tad more in my Paypal account to pay off the few bills the site has ($20 per month hosting, yearly reg fees and occasional vBulletin $$ when upgrades were needed). In the past few years I haven't barely needed help, so I rarely paid attention to the option. Honestly, I appreciate good members, who contribute to the board growing, who become a mainstay here and get involved in endless discussions. Without such members, the donations to keep things going would be almost useless. Everyone here plays their little part in making this a "community".

At the same time, I think I can kinda see what Logroller was aiming for. A guest or new member may look at the colored manners in a different way, assuming that they have more power, or that their words mean more. But opinions are opinions and even the colors can't hide someone's POV if you disagree with them. It still comes down to whether or not one disagrees, or whether or not they actually have supporting facts/links for what they have to say. No color in the world will allow someone to make statements that are irrefutable simply because the color of their name.

With respect to all, I'm going to lock this one down. Threads that deal with membership, donations and staff members - never end up doing any good. I'd rather focus on the positive right now than have members going at it again.