PDA

View Full Version : 24" monitor and noise

glockmail
06-11-2007, 03:11 PM
I recently upgraded to a new LCD 24" wide screen. I had to put in a video card to support it, actually one that I salvaged out of my parts pile, originally bought for my son's game machine. Something odd happens now: When I scroll in certain applications, the computer makes a corresponding noise. Its kind of a faint, high pitched buzz, almost a ring, that comes from the box. It mostly happens in AutoCad when I drag large text blocks but in other apps less pronounced.

Any ideas what it is?

Hagbard Celine
06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Does the monitor have built-in speakers? If it does, it may have something to do with your cell phone. If you're cell phone is close enough to the monitor for its electronic field to affect the monitor's electronic field, the phone's signal will produce "static" that can be heard through the speakers. Try putting your cell phone up close to the speakers and listen for the noise. If it's the same one you've been hearing, then I've solved the problem.

glockmail
06-11-2007, 03:45 PM
The monitor does not have speakers. The sound occurs regardless of the phone being on or off, or in the same room. the volume control on my old speakers also has no effect.

The reason why I am curious about this is that I wonder if the video card is strained and starting to malfunction. When I turned on my computer this morning the monitor was switched on, the stoopid windoze music came on, but there was no picture. I tried several manual restarts but did not correct the problem until I switched the monitor off, then on again. Of course, that could be an unrelated problem.

Mr. P
06-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Did you remove the old video card? Does the card you install have audio on the same card? Just a couple thoughts..one more, check 'system information' for conflicts.

glockmail
06-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Did you remove the old video card? Does the card you install have audio on the same card? Just a couple thoughts..one more, check 'system information' for conflicts.

The old video "card" remains on the motherboard.

I just checked the Device Manager: there are "No conflicts", and a better driver match could not be found using "update Driver". Also, "The device is working properly."

The card is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440.

nevadamedic
06-11-2007, 04:15 PM

I just checked the Device Manager: there are "No conflicts", and a better driver match could not be found using "update Driver". Also, "The device is working properly."

Did you disable the onboard card? To me it sounds like a bad card. If your looking for a cheap card go here www.computergeeks.com you can even email one of their techs with this problem and they would probably help you. I usually get all my computer parts from them.

Mr. P
06-11-2007, 04:17 PM

Can you tell if the old card is operating or is it disabled? Can you remove the old card?

glockmail
06-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Did you disable the onboard card? To me it sounds like a bad card. If your looking for a cheap card go here www.computergeeks.com you can even email one of their techs with this problem and they would probably help you. I usually get all my computer parts from them.

Can you tell if the old card is operating or is it disabled? Can you remove the old card?

I think the old one is disabled when you put a new card in the video slot. Under Device Manager the old on board "video card" is not listed.

I wasn't planning on asking Geeks unless i pecieved this as a problem. Right now its just a curiosity.

nevadamedic
06-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I think the old one is disabled when you put a new card in the video slot. Under Device Manager the old on board "video card" is not listed.

I wasn't planning on asking Geeks unless i pecieved this as a problem. Right now its just a curiosity.

Does the new card have a fan on it? Or maybe you pushed one of the wires in the box down by one of the fans in the computer when you were in there.

glockmail
06-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Does the new card have a fan on it? Or maybe you pushed one of the wires in the box down by one of the fans in the computer when you were in there. No fan, and the noise is dependent on software activity, not physical activity such as moving the box.

I had noise problems with the cooling fan several months ago, BTW. It was apparntly caused by dust unbalancing it, because when I cleaned the blades the noise went away and has not returned.

glockmail
06-12-2007, 06:45 AM
This is a good example of a website that causes the noise to occur. http://www.husseinandterror.com/

Someone please do me a favor, call up this site, and see if your computer makes a noise when scrolling through it.

Jon
06-12-2007, 08:49 AM
What brand/model LCD did you buy?

It's not unheard of for some models to be noisy. :(

Mr. P
06-12-2007, 08:51 AM
This is a good example of a website that causes the noise to occur. http://www.husseinandterror.com/

Someone please do me a favor, call up this site, and see if your computer makes a noise when scrolling through it.

No noise, but I noticed a lot of HD activity while the page loaded. It's full of pics, maybe that video card just can't handle the load..donno.

glockmail
06-12-2007, 08:57 AM
What brand/model LCD did you buy?

It's not unheard of for some models to be noisy. :(

Its an Acer AL2416W. But the noise comes from my computer chassis, not the monitor.

glockmail
06-12-2007, 09:00 AM
No noise, but I noticed a lot of HD activity while the page loaded. It's full of pics, maybe that video card just can't handle the load..donno.
I agree that is the likely culprit. But its a high end card, an NVIDIA GeForce MX440 with 64MB of RAM. It's weird that it makes noise.

I guess I should just wait until it blows up, then put another in?

Jon
06-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Its an Acer AL2416W. But the noise comes from my computer chassis, not the monitor.

I missed that part in the OP.

Sounds like it might be time for a new video card.

glockmail
06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I missed that part in the OP.

Sounds like it might be time for a new video card. There shouldn't be a problem with just waiting until it breaks, should there?

Jon
06-12-2007, 09:13 AM
There shouldn't be a problem with just waiting until it breaks, should there?

Ask Hobbit. IIRC, he had a video card catch fire or otherwise burn up. I'm sure it's unlikely to be a problem though.

glockmail
06-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Ask Hobbit. IIRC, he had a video card catch fire or otherwise burn up. I'm sure it's unlikely to be a problem though. LOL! I had a mouse blow up in my hand once.

:laugh2:

Jon
06-12-2007, 09:19 AM
LOL! I had a mouse blow up in my hand once.

Short fuse on that firecracker eh? :laugh2:

glockmail
06-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Short fuse on that firecracker eh? :laugh2: Seriously. I was doing CAD work on a microsoft mouse, and "boom". Actually more like a snap.

Mr. P
06-12-2007, 09:27 AM
I agree that is the likely culprit. But its a high end card, an NVIDIA GeForce MX440 with 64MB of RAM. It's weird that it makes noise.

64mb should be plenty I'm only running 32mb. Your guess is as good as mine on leaving it it until it fails. My only concern with that would be; is it affecting anything else. Or will it?

Hey, did you try taking it out and re-seating it? Shot in the dark, I know, especially when puter reports it as ok.

-Cp
06-12-2007, 09:34 AM

fyi... a GeForce MX440 is not a "high end card" nor has it ever been one..

Not only is the MX440 about 4 years old, the MX products were missing programmable DirectX 8 shaders as the GeForce 4 Ti cards had - in fact, the MX was nothing more than just a GeForce 2 GPU on steriods...

glockmail
06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
64mb should be plenty I'm only running 32mb. Your guess is as good as mine on leaving it it until it fails. My only concern with that would be; is it affecting anything else. Or will it?

Hey, did you try taking it out and re-seating it? Shot in the dark, I know, especially when puter reports it as ok.

I just took your shot-in-the-darkk and it worked! I found the chassis cooling fan wire touching the card, as well as another cable, so I tied these both out of the way. I re-set the card as well.

My guess is that the fan power wire was transmitting some vibration when te card was working hard. Weird.

Mr. P
06-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I just took your shot-in-the-darkk and it worked! I found the chassis cooling fan wire touching the card, as well as another cable, so I tied these both out of the way. I re-set the card as well.

My guess is that the fan power wire was transmitting some vibration when te card was working hard. Weird.

Great!!!

glockmail
06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Great!!! http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/allhail.gif

nevadamedic
06-12-2007, 11:27 AM
:popcorn:

glockmail
06-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Great!!!

Oops- the noise is back.

I think this is just something that I'll have to live with. :salute:

Mr. P
06-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Oops- the noise is back.

I think this is just something that I'll have to live with. :salute:

Hate it when that happens!! Maybe it is a cooling fan, no?

glockmail
06-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Hate it when that happens!! Maybe it is a cooling fan, no?

Nope. The noise occurs when I do certain things as described. I'll just assume the 'puter's whispering to me in its own little way.

Hobbit
06-12-2007, 01:37 PM
It sounds like some of your components aren't properly shielded.

First, make sure all wires are away from all fans.

If you did have fans hitting wires, it may have stripped some of the insulation. Wrap the affected areas in electrical tape.

Even if the insulation does not appear damaged, try wrapping some of the loose wires in one layer of electrical tape to provide additional shielding from EM fields. Computers are high-voltage, high current machines that give off some pretty vicious EM fields, and improper shielding can lead to a whole mess of annoyances.

If the problem doesn't go away, though, don't take any risks. I once had a bad capacitor on my video card, and the damn thing literally caught fire, taking out my processor and motherboard with it. I was lucky to be able to retrieve my sound card and hard drive.