PDA

View Full Version : speakers buzzing

dan
06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm not super tech-savvy, so I was hoping someone could help me out here.

My sound system at home is very cheap and very haggard. The speakers I bought at Wal-Mart for $40. I use my PS2 as my main (well, only) DVD player. The way it's set up is, I've got the PS2 running into a thing that holds five A/V inputs, then you just press a button to switch between inputs. Even though the PS2 is the only thing going into it, I still use it because my TV is kind of old and the only plug it's got is a cable input, no A/V input at all. So, I use that adaptor thing, with the PS2 A/V plugs going into it, then a cable going out of it and into the TV.

Problem is, recently my speakers have started buzzing very loudly. I've noticed that it gets louder the more white there is on the screen. So, for example, the end credits of a movie aren't bad at all, but with a scene of, I don't know, a closeup of a piece of paper, the buzzing is unbearable.

Now, here's the weird thing: the sound system also has an adaptor for a headphone jack, which I sometimes use to hook my MP3 player up to the speakers. When I do this, there is no buzzing whatsoever, which leads me to believe it must be either the PS2 (which is possible, it's five years old), the adaptor (which is possible, it's a piece of garbage and it's a few years old), or the TV (ditto). Anybody know what it could be?

nevadamedic
06-11-2007, 04:03 PM

My sound system at home is very cheap and very haggard. The speakers I bought at Wal-Mart for $40. I use my PS2 as my main (well, only) DVD player. The way it's set up is, I've got the PS2 running into a thing that holds five A/V inputs, then you just press a button to switch between inputs. Even though the PS2 is the only thing going into it, I still use it because my TV is kind of old and the only plug it's got is a cable input, no A/V input at all. So, I use that adaptor thing, with the PS2 A/V plugs going into it, then a cable going out of it and into the TV.

Problem is, recently my speakers have started buzzing very loudly. I've noticed that it gets louder the more white there is on the screen. So, for example, the end credits of a movie aren't bad at all, but with a scene of, I don't know, a closeup of a piece of paper, the buzzing is unbearable.

Now, here's the weird thing: the sound system also has an adaptor for a headphone jack, which I sometimes use to hook my MP3 player up to the speakers. When I do this, there is no buzzing whatsoever, which leads me to believe it must be either the PS2 (which is possible, it's five years old), the adaptor (which is possible, it's a piece of garbage and it's a few years old), or the TV (ditto). Anybody know what it could be?

How far are the speakers from the TV? They may not be shielded if they are cheap ones which means you have to keep them away from the TV.

glockmail
06-11-2007, 04:46 PM

Its interference from the TV. You need to keep the items separated or use a better sheilded cable.

dan
06-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Well, the speakers sit on top of a entertainment center, but it's just cheap plywood, nothing great. The ones that buzz are directly over the TV, though.

Question: the TV in my room is newer than the TV in the living room, would switiching sets make it work better, you think?

And, also, thanks for the help!

glockmail
06-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Well, the speakers sit on top of a entertainment center, but it's just cheap plywood, nothing great. The ones that buzz are directly over the TV, though.

Question: the TV in my room is newer than the TV in the living room, would switiching sets make it work better, you think?

CRT TVs have a lot of stray emmisions, regardless of age. Shielding is normally done with metal plates or foil- or distance. You could try a cookie sheet or sheet of tin foil between the speakers and TV, with a aligator clip connection from the metal to a ground. But first I'd simply move the speakers away from the CRT. If that doesn't have an effect then the TV is creating interference wth some other part of the system.

nevadamedic
06-12-2007, 11:14 AM

No. The only way speakers can be by a TV is if they ar Magnetically Shielded. I also reccommend better cable, I use the Monster brand, that might help a little bit.

dan
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
OK, well, I'll check it out when I get home. I may put the TV in the bedroom out in the living room, anyway, just because it has A/V hookups, and I won't have to mess with that stupid adaptor anymore.

Abbey Marie
06-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Is that why my Dell speakers buzz when my cell phone is near them?

Mr. P
06-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Probably.

Hobbit
06-12-2007, 01:42 PM

Yes. If you keep a cell phone near unshielded speakers or an unshielded TV, you'll know about 5+ seconds before it rings, while the phone is still connecting to the tower. It's pretty cool, actually.

And yeah, it's shielding problems related to the CRT and the speakers. Aluminum foil or electrical tape placed between the TV and the speakers should do the trick (the speaker wires should already be shielded).

dan
06-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Well, I tried aluminum foil under the speakers and a cookie sheet under them, and it didn't make any difference. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

nevadamedic
06-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Well, I tried aluminum foil under the speakers and a cookie sheet under them, and it didn't make any difference. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Move the speakers....... Not all speaker wire is shielded, if you have that recycled crap that comes with the speakers, I would upgrade it.

dan
06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Now that I have a real job, I'm just going to save up and buy a real system. Like I said, those speakers were $40 for the entire system, so I can't really complain. With the way my setup is, it'll probably be easier for me to move the TV than the speakers and wires, etc. I'll try that when I get home and let you guys know what happens.

Thanks again for the help.

glockmail
06-13-2007, 12:26 PM
If you don't electrically connect the metal to ground then you didn't shield anything.

dan
06-13-2007, 01:35 PM
OK, well, nevermind then. That seems like a lot of work, and kind of an eyesore anyway (as opposed to the earsore that it is now), but I'll see.