PDA

View Full Version : Dr wants to transplant human head

revelarts
10-07-2013, 03:55 AM
disturbing a lil bit, yeah,

... Italian neuroscientist Dr. Sergio Canavero of the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group believes (http://blogs.discovery.com/inscider/2013/10/put-your-head-on-my-shoulder.html)that with new strides in technology, a human head could be transplanted (http://www.dvice.com/search/site/transplant)from one body to another in the very near future.

To quote Young Frankenstein, are we "entering the realm of genius," or of madness? Head transplants are hardly a new concept, but the idea of it actually being possible has been up for debate. The main problem with the concept is that it is would be very difficult to connect a head to a different body’s spinal cord. However, Canavero believes that with the recent creation of something called fusogens, the process is now possible. Fusogens, which are plastic membranes, were created to repair severed nerves. They allow nerve impulses to be transmitted to the donor nervous system.
It sounds crazy, but Canavero believes that a full head transplant could be possible within just a few years. Even crazier? He’s already figured out how to do it. In 2008, he used electrical stimulation to wake up a patient who had been in a coma for two years. He bases his own theories on those of Robert White, a neurosurgeon who transplanted a monkey’s head in the 1970’s. The procedure would begin with two bodies: the donor, and the recipient. Both bodies would be chilled to a certain temperature. Two surgeons would cut their spinal cords at the same time. The donated head would be immediately put on the recipient’s body and, using fusogens, be attached to the recipient’s spinal cord.
Obviously, such a procedure would bring up some ethical concerns. It’s also pretty creepy to think there might someday be Frankenpeople running around. But the concept itself is fascinating.
The video below is a re-enactment of Robert White’s 1970s head transplantation experiment with a monkey, and viewers are advised that it involves a re-enactment of a 1970s head transplantation experiment with a monkey.

http://www.dvice.com/2013-10-4/scientist-wants-transplant-human-head

...But let's assume that as Dr. Canavero told ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/07/02/human-head-transplants-could-become-reality/), “the problem here is not really technical but is completely ethical.” While the ability to put your head on someone else's body offers new hope for quadriplegics and people suffering from other debilitating illnesses that leave the brain intact, head transplants raise a slew of dilemmas as well. As Popsci.com (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-07/would-human-head-transplant-be-ethical) notes, in order to perfect the operation, surgeons first would have to perform multiple run-throughs using primates, which ethics committees at research institutions may be reluctant to approve. And when it comes time to actually perform the procedure on a human patient, finding a donor body that's otherwise healthy but lacks a functioning brain could be a bit, well, tricky. If you think the international black market in donor organs (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2150932/An-organ-sold-hour-WHO-warns-Brutal-black-market-rise-thanks-diseases-affluence.html)is scary, just think what might happen if criminal gangs in relatively lawless countries discover a market for entire healthy bodies.
http://blogs.discovery.com/inscider/2013/10/put-your-head-on-my-shoulder.html
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NJE7IRK7k7Y?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

hjmick
10-07-2013, 06:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHNA_j7h5A

Noir
10-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Sounds fantastic, and something thats probably alot further off than the article would suggest, raises some pretty neat questions about souls and other such nonsense.

revelarts
10-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Sounds fantastic, and something that's probably a lot further off than the article would suggest, raises some pretty neat questions about souls and other such nonsense.

is the soul of a person in their body or their heads?

I don't know noir.
i guess the real question would be, does the person die?
And since a persons memories and thoughts are housed physically in the brain seem to me the soul's primary attachment would be there.

don't you think, hypothetical that is.

in other words the ghost in the machine haunts the brain.
if you tear down the garage, the shed, outhouse, the plumbing and replace the lawn.
the ghost might not like it but it might not leave.

I think the soul question is more pointed in the idea of people transferring their brains/thoughts/conciseness into computers.
And even a more far fetched tech from star trek "the transporter" .
if it were possible to break down a persons complete structure and rebuild it elsewhere. would the soul "transport" with it?
"the transporter" is the scariest piece of star trek tech. it basically kills you and rebuilds you atom by atom.

cadet
10-07-2013, 12:26 PM
is the soul of a person in their body or their heads?

I don't know noir.
i guess the real question would be, does the person die?
And since a persons memories and thoughts are housed physically in the brain seem to me the soul's primary attachment would be there.

don't you think, hypothetical that is.

in other words the ghost in the machine haunts the brain.
if you tear down the garage, the shed, outhouse, the plumbing and replace the lawn.
the ghost might not like it but it might not leave.

I think the soul question is more pointed in the idea of people transferring their brains/thoughts/conciseness into computers.

I have a theory on how to do that...
Connecting the brains neurons to a massively complicated computer. Allow the thoughts to be transferred between the two. Up to the point where the human can access the computer with their mind. Over a little time, become more relied upon the computer. Have the computer copy all the memories, then begin shutting down the brain. When it's shut down, and the person is "inside" the computer, and working their body through the computer, have them move some mechanical things. Then unplug the body.
Should work, and would prove the existence of a soul. Especially if the computer had no previous programming.
(I'm just not sure you could transfer them back/be able to copy and paste said person into another computer)

And even a more far fetched tech from star trek "the transporter" .
if it were possible to break down a persons complete structure and rebuild it elsewhere. would the soul "transport" with it?
"the transporter" is the scariest piece of star trek tech. it basically kills you and rebuilds you atom by atom.

I don't think so, I think a whole new you would walk away. And you'd be dead.

tailfins
10-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Sounds fantastic, and something thats probably alot further off than the article would suggest, raises some pretty neat questions about souls and other such nonsense.

Dismissing things out of hand like that is the opposite of intelligent thought. My guess is it would be the brain that contains the soul. If one person died a few minutes ago from brain trauma and another's internal organs were damaged beyond hope, why not try to put the two together?

aboutime
10-07-2013, 12:51 PM
disturbing a lil bit, yeah,

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NJE7IRK7k7Y?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

So...tell us which CONDOM company does that scientist have STOCKS in?
Will he also provide a CONDOM as covering for the transplanted Head as well?
5648 All of this despite...it sounds like someone talking from their "ONION" ass again.

KitchenKitten99
10-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Considering doctors cannot even return a paralyzed person back to physical mobility, I don't know how they think they can even do this.

A whole head would require severing the brain stem and spine.

Then again, if this does happen and is successful, you think they would take requests?

I actually like my own face and head... but if I had it on Kate Upton's body... I AND my husband would never leave the house! :2up:

Noir
10-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Dismissing things out of hand like that is the opposite of intelligent thought. My guess is it would be the brain that contains the soul. If one person died a few minutes ago from brain trauma and another's internal organs were damaged beyond hope, why not try to put the two together?

At which point you get the 'when does the soul enter the brain' which leads you nowhere.

....more interestingly, what if in the situation described, the body is that of a male, and the head that of a female?

revelarts
10-10-2013, 02:25 PM
At which point you get the 'when does the soul enter the brain' which leads you nowhere.

....more interestingly, what if in the situation described, the body is that of a male, and the head that of a female?

Soul "enters" the brain?
and maybe the question should be the other way around when does the body attach to the soul.
which gets you to conception.

aboutime
10-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Noir. Since you have told us you are a NON-BELIEVER. Are you now admitting human's have a soul?

That all sounds kind of hypocritical of you. If there is nothing to call a Supreme Being, who is the creator of the Human Soul. Isn't that more of a joke? Coming from you?