PDA

View Full Version : Remembrances of father-daughter bonding

gabosaurus
10-07-2013, 11:56 AM
One of my favorites memories of childhood is going to baseball games with my dad. My dad loves baseball (The Dodgers in particular) and passed that on to me. We always went to at least one Dodger game every season.
Through the passing of time, we haven't been in a while. But when my dad came up with two tickets to the Dodgers-Braves playoff game on Sunday, I couldn't pass up the chance. What a great game it was, and what a wonderful afternoon with my dad.
Baseball is the American family game. :salute:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-1007-plaschke-dodgers-20131007,0,3792778,full.column#axzz2h3Vvzmew

jimnyc
10-07-2013, 03:11 PM
One of my favorites memories of childhood is going to baseball games with my dad. My dad loves baseball (The Dodgers in particular) and passed that on to me. We always went to at least one Dodger game every season.
Through the passing of time, we haven't been in a while. But when my dad came up with two tickets to the Dodgers-Braves playoff game on Sunday, I couldn't pass up the chance. What a great game it was, and what a wonderful afternoon with my dad.
Baseball is the American family game. :salute:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-1007-plaschke-dodgers-20131007,0,3792778,full.column#axzz2h3Vvzmew

Sweet, I would have LOVED to have been at that game! Did you get any pictures for me? Any of Puig? That's one of my dreams, to hit up a home Dodgers game before I croak. That's just me as a greedy fan though - as I think the bonding time with Dad is worth more.

gabosaurus
10-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Sweet, I would have LOVED to have been at that game! Did you get any pictures for me? Any of Puig? That's one of my dreams, to hit up a home Dodgers game before I croak. That's just me as a greedy fan though - as I think the bonding time with Dad is worth more.

You do need to come to Dodger Stadium. It is truly the Cathedral of Baseball. What can be better than sitting in the upper deck on a nice day, eating a Dodger Dog and watching a ball game? Bring your kid with you.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I remember my father bragging on my grades, my working hard to do any chore he gave me and that he knew I'd be a good man when grown. Took me a lot of years to get there but feel safe in knowing I've finally arrived even if it is a late arrival. ;) And his teaching me to hunt smart, efficient and not waste ammo.. I'll be 60 years old in about five months and not a day goes by that I don't think of him and still miss him! --Tyr

gabosaurus
10-08-2013, 01:03 PM
I feel the same way about my maternal grandfather. Growing up in the Germany of the 1940s must have been brutal. Can you imagine being 17 and fighting the Russians on the Eastern Front equipped with just a rifle?
His stories of perseverance and making do with what you have greatly influenced my life. How can you complain about not having new clothes or the latest gadget after talking with someone who once got a slice of bread with jam on it for Christmas and felt immensely privileged?

glockmail
10-08-2013, 06:37 PM
My dad loves pro sports, especially baseball. Red Sox, Red Sox, Red Sox. They lost me when a bleacher seat got over $4. When he visits here I always take him to a local minor league game.

gabosaurus
10-08-2013, 10:44 PM
They lost me when a bleacher seat got over $4.

Then I won't tell you how much we paid for Dodgers playoff tickets. :eek:

Kathianne
10-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Then I won't tell you how much we paid for Dodgers playoff tickets. :eek:

A few of theses responses brought to mind my dad. Starting with Gabby's last post about costs of tickets, (I don't want to think about that! $500 each?)

Going from recent to past, a few months after my mom went into nursing home, but before she died, one three day weekend I decided we needed to 'clean up.' The rugs were in poor shape from hospital bed, wheel chair, wear and tear from 7 people being in residence here most of the time. There were small holes in walls and ceiling from hanging curtains in living room to give her some privacy. Anyways, I spackled, sanded, painted, rented Rug Doctor, cleaned out her closets and drawers, (we knew she had what she needed and that it would be more difficult later, etc.

Sunday we went to the home and met my brother's family for mass and treats. On the way home my dad said, "Take a bath, have a glass of wine, take a nap. Get dressed up nice. We're going out." I said, "Dad, I'm so tired, I have to work tomorrow, why don't we order in?" "No, just dress nice, I'm taking you out, you'll enjoy this, I promise."

He took me to my mom's favorite restaurant, Frank Buresh's Lobster House, where we went for Mother's Day and her birthday every year when I was growing up. We both got the 'Queen sized' and all the extras. He said, "I just want to thank you for all you and the kids have done for the past couple of years. I couldn't have kept your mother at home without you." I know, cry!

LOL! Then the bill came, never in all my years including my wedding had my dad shared a restaurant tab with me. I saw his eyes bug out and went, "How bad?" He slid the check folder and it was over $150 for the two of us, I had a glass of wine, he had an Arnold Palmer. Neither of us had dessert. After I looked at it and laughed he said, "I really thought about bringing mom, but we wouldn't have been able to talk, now I'm kinda glad I didn't." She could only eat a tiny bit.

While I had some idea that dad would take the kids out for breakfasts, lunches, and dinners; until his funeral mass, when his oldest grandchild, my niece was giving her part of the eulogy, I didn't know the extent or for how long it was going on. She was saying her memories, then said, "Grandpa would call around 8 at night, "Hey, Jules, would you want to meet me at 5:30 am for breakfast before school? Don't tell anyone, just you and me." He began that when she was in jr. high and same with my kids. They'd leave a note, "Breakfast with grandpa, he'll drop me off at school. Don't tell others." That is why my dad seemed to know everything before my brother or I. ;)

My dad took a lot of years growing up. Won't rehash the bad times, but he tried to make amends on my 16th birthday. LOL! He bought me a '69 Mustang 350. The day I got it, took it out. On the way home, after dropping off 5 friends, only my best friend and neighbor were in the car, when it slid into a tree and knocked down a fence a block from my house. I thought my dad drove past, while I was knocking on the door of the house of the fence. Yeppers, when I got home he was in his chair. He seemed calm. "Dad? Was that you I saw driving..." He replied, "I'd hoped it wasn't you on the porch of that house with no light on, but figured it was." I lost that car for ditching school, due to my mom, not my dad. Dad had a hard time with discipline, my mom? No problem.

For all his problems when my brother and I were young, he was the dad that would take us and all of our friends to the swimming pool, ice skating and tobogganing. He was athletic, won Golden skates and was a Lake Michigan life guard. He was a 3 handicap golfer that taught my leftie brother well enough to qualify for full scholarship in college, though he turned it down.

He was dad/husband that in our small family reunion the last New Years before we had to put my mom in the nursing home, pulled my mom onto his lap from her wheel chair and said, "Mary, I love you. Thank you for our children and all our family." She melted into him.

glockmail
10-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Then I won't tell you how much we paid for Dodgers playoff tickets. :eek:Don't bother. I'm sure it's ten times more than I'd be willing to pay. Then there's those $8 beers that you have to stand in line for.

No thanks. I lost interest in professional sports a long time ago.

gabosaurus
10-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Seats in the upper deck behind third base -- $100 apiece.
Watching Dodgers baseball with my dad -- priceless. :cool:

Kathianne, that was a totally awesome story. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-09-2013, 06:11 PM
A few of theses responses brought to mind my dad. Starting with Gabby's last post about costs of tickets, (I don't want to think about that! $500 each?)

Going from recent to past, a few months after my mom went into nursing home, but before she died, one three day weekend I decided we needed to 'clean up.' The rugs were in poor shape from hospital bed, wheel chair, wear and tear from 7 people being in residence here most of the time. There were small holes in walls and ceiling from hanging curtains in living room to give her some privacy. Anyways, I spackled, sanded, painted, rented Rug Doctor, cleaned out her closets and drawers, (we knew she had what she needed and that it would be more difficult later, etc.

Sunday we went to the home and met my brother's family for mass and treats. On the way home my dad said, "Take a bath, have a glass of wine, take a nap. Get dressed up nice. We're going out." I said, "Dad, I'm so tired, I have to work tomorrow, why don't we order in?" "No, just dress nice, I'm taking you out, you'll enjoy this, I promise."

He took me to my mom's favorite restaurant, Frank Buresh's Lobster House, where we went for Mother's Day and her birthday every year when I was growing up. We both got the 'Queen sized' and all the extras. He said, "I just want to thank you for all you and the kids have done for the past couple of years. I couldn't have kept your mother at home without you." I know, cry!

LOL! Then the bill came, never in all my years including my wedding had my dad shared a restaurant tab with me. I saw his eyes bug out and went, "How bad?" He slid the check folder and it was over $150 for the two of us, I had a glass of wine, he had an Arnold Palmer. Neither of us had dessert. After I looked at it and laughed he said, "I really thought about bringing mom, but we wouldn't have been able to talk, now I'm kinda glad I didn't." She could only eat a tiny bit.

While I had some idea that dad would take the kids out for breakfasts, lunches, and dinners; until his funeral mass, when his oldest grandchild, my niece was giving her part of the eulogy, I didn't know the extent or for how long it was going on. She was saying her memories, then said, "Grandpa would call around 8 at night, "Hey, Jules, would you want to meet me at 5:30 am for breakfast before school? Don't tell anyone, just you and me." He began that when she was in jr. high and same with my kids. They'd leave a note, "Breakfast with grandpa, he'll drop me off at school. Don't tell others." That is why my dad seemed to know everything before my brother or I. ;)

My dad took a lot of years growing up. Won't rehash the bad times, but he tried to make amends on my 16th birthday. LOL! He bought me a '69 Mustang 350. The day I got it, took it out. On the way home, after dropping off 5 friends, only my best friend and neighbor were in the car, when it slid into a tree and knocked down a fence a block from my house. I thought my dad drove past, while I was knocking on the door of the house of the fence. Yeppers, when I got home he was in his chair. He seemed calm. "Dad? Was that you I saw driving..." He replied, "I'd hoped it wasn't you on the porch of that house with no light on, but figured it was." I lost that car for ditching school, due to my mom, not my dad. Dad had a hard time with discipline, my mom? No problem.

For all his problems when my brother and I were young, he was the dad that would take us and all of our friends to the swimming pool, ice skating and tobogganing. He was athletic, won Golden skates and was a Lake Michigan life guard. He was a 3 handicap golfer that taught my leftie brother well enough to qualify for full scholarship in college, though he turned it down.

He was dad/husband that in our small family reunion the last New Years before we had to put my mom in the nursing home, pulled my mom onto his lap from her wheel chair and said, "Mary, I love you. Thank you for our children and all our family." She melted into him. I read this post early this morning , it brightened my day to think about it. Especially to read the last paragraph. I wanted that kind of love and fidelity in my first two marriages but did not get it but blessedly have it now. --Tyr

gabosaurus
10-09-2013, 08:05 PM
I am currently watching the fifth game of the Cardinals-Pirates series. To see who loses to the Dodgers in the NL championship series. Already have my dad working on tickets for that.

Jeff
10-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Gaby this is one of the best threads I have read in a long time, to be honest when you posted I was afraid it was going to be all about just memories but when I seen y'all are still making the memories it gave me a smile for the day, My Dad is still with me to make memories , no we don't do the pro sport thing but we share many interest and do them together, I can't really think of anything I would rather be doing when I am with my dad and we are enjoying a activity we both enjoy together , I am so happy that not only can you still do this but ya shared with the rest of us.

As for prices at the stadiums I take my boys to the minor league games a good bit and that is very affordable but yes we do get down to Atlanta at least once a year ( we try for more but with the kids schedule it isn't always possible ) but you can get affordable tickets say sitting in center field ( not the best seats I know ) but we usually get right next to the warm up pen for the Braves and to watch those guys throw is fun in itself and I don't think we ever paid more than $20 bucks or so per ticket( and many times are handed tickets , they seem to give many away to any of the people that run either the little league or the travel ball league) and unlike football at the baseball game no matter where you sit they get the fans involved in the game with different on field events in between innings or before the game , I have to agree with you a day at the park is fantastic and I hope to live long enough to share the experience with my boys when they are grown as you and your dad do .

gabosaurus
10-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Major League Baseball is not cheap, but then neither is anything else. Even tickets for a first-run movie have exceeded 10 bucks. But when you compare baseball tickets to the other sports, baseball is downright cheap. And there are a lot of promotions, mostly catering to kids.
Baseball is the only sport that still aims to draw kids. Hockey and basketball want the corporate interests. Tickets to NFL games are obscene.
My paternal grandfather didn't have much interest in sports. So he didn't take my dad and his brother out much (the Dallas area didn't get a major league team until 1972). Which is why my dad was always willing to do things with my sister and I. My sister never cared for sports, so it was just my dad and I.
I talk with troubled or unhappy kids every dad. The majority either don't have an active father, or their dad doesn't interact with them very much. Which is why I am never too busy to do things with my daughter.

Kathianne
10-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Gaby this is one of the best threads I have read in a long time, to be honest when you posted I was afraid it was going to be all about just memories but when I seen y'all are still making the memories it gave me a smile for the day, My Dad is still with me to make memories , no we don't do the pro sport thing but we share many interest and do them together, I can't really think of anything I would rather be doing when I am with my dad and we are enjoying a activity we both enjoy together , I am so happy that not only can you still do this but ya shared with the rest of us.

As for prices at the stadiums I take my boys to the minor league games a good bit and that is very affordable but yes we do get down to Atlanta at least once a year ( we try for more but with the kids schedule it isn't always possible ) but you can get affordable tickets say sitting in center field ( not the best seats I know ) but we usually get right next to the warm up pen for the Braves and to watch those guys throw is fun in itself and I don't think we ever paid more than $20 bucks or so per ticket( and many times are handed tickets , they seem to give many away to any of the people that run either the little league or the travel ball league) and unlike football at the baseball game no matter where you sit they get the fans involved in the game with different on field events in between innings or before the game , I have to agree with you a day at the park is fantastic and I hope to live long enough to share the experience with my boys when they are grown as you and your dad do .

Jeff, I envy you and Gabby still having your dads. I miss both my mom and dad every day. The good part though is having all those memories.

When the kids were small we took them to a lot of major sporting events, but after the divorce that was rarely in the cards unless friends gave us their season tickets for a game, which did happen at least a couple times a year, but usually it was me and kid or my dad or brother with a kid. What we did do several times over the summer was minor league baseball, Kane County Cougars (http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t446) which is literally 20 minutes from my house. That was affordable, thanks for reminding me!

Gabby, if you think Major leagues cater to kids, you should give the minors a try next year. Cheap eats and nearly always he kids can get on the field before the game. The players love signing anything. No problem getting a birthday or special event mentioned on the board. Tons of kids!:

Regular Dates - Advanced Purchase *
Box - $13.00
Reserved - $11.00
Lawn - $9.00

June - September Saturdays - Advanced Purchase *
Box - $15.00
Reserved - $13.00
Lawn - $11.00

June - September Mondays - Advanced Purchase *
Box - $12.00
Reserved - $5.00
Lawn - $4.00

* Day Of Game
There will be a $1.00 surcharge on tickets purchased on game day

Seniors
Seniors (65+) receive half price tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday games.
Valid on box, reserved and lawn tickets.

Military
Active military and their families receive complimentary admission with military ID for all games.
Must purchase in person. Valid on box, reserved and lawn tickets.
Veterans and active military can also create an account and request complimentary reserved seat tickets at vettix.org.
A limited number of complimentary tickets are offered for each Cougars game.

Children's Tickets
Children 2 years old or less do not need a ticket for the game if they do not occupy seats.
You may purchase a seat for such a child if you would like them to have their own seat.

Individual Processing Fee
$4.00 per order for phone and mail orders. There is no additional per ticket charge for phone and mail orders.
$1.50 per ticket for online orders. There is no additional per order charge for online orders.

Individual Parking Fee
General Admission - $5.00
Preferred Parking - $10.00

jimnyc
10-10-2013, 04:30 PM
You do need to come to Dodger Stadium. It is truly the Cathedral of Baseball. What can be better than sitting in the upper deck on a nice day, eating a Dodger Dog and watching a ball game? Bring your kid with you.

Oh man, would love to get there for one of the NLCS games coming up! And speaking of the prices that you and Kath refer to, that's a reminder that I'll never get the tickets I want! The tickets I had for (2) of us at Yankee stadium a few years ago, front row behind home plate, were valued at $900 per seat, but were a gift from the woman's company, more or less. And that was regular season! I couldn't imagine what the 'good' seats are going for in the Ravine during playoff time!

Honestly though, if I was able to get my son out there, I'd be thrilled to get the bleacher seats in the outfield, which I'm sure would still be pricey for a regular season game. While the seats are good in the long run, it's the entire stadium experience that one will remember, and double that if it's a memory in the making with father/mother/child combo!

It took me until I was exactly 30 to get to Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh to see the Steelers. And frankly, seeing them at the new Heinz Field is tops on my list, which probably won't happen until I'm about 60. Hopefully I can get out to the LA area and finally see my favorite baseball team play in person, maybe by the time I'm 90?

jimnyc
10-10-2013, 04:32 PM
My dad loves pro sports, especially baseball. Red Sox, Red Sox, Red Sox. They lost me when a bleacher seat got over $4. When he visits here I always take him to a local minor league game.

Don't bother. I'm sure it's ten times more than I'd be willing to pay. Then there's those $8 beers that you have to stand in line for.

No thanks. I lost interest in professional sports a long time ago.

:lol:

I hear ya, Glock. We sometimes head North about 40 miles and go to see the "Bridgeport Bluefish", which is the closest minor league affiliate. But hell, it's still about $20 per ticket, $3 a hot dog and about $5 or $6 for a beer. You have to REALLY be a fan these days, or wanting to go to make a memory with a loved one.

jimnyc
10-10-2013, 04:36 PM
I am currently watching the fifth game of the Cardinals-Pirates series. To see who loses to the Dodgers in the NL championship series. Already have my dad working on tickets for that.

Monday the 14th will be the Dodgers first home game against the Cardinals who won last night. It would be kind of you if you can get 2-3 more tickets! Perhaps some airfare with it? And maybe convince the hubby to let us crash there for a day or 2? :beer:

Kathianne
10-10-2013, 05:00 PM

I hear ya, Glock. We sometimes head North about 40 miles and go to see the "Bridgeport Bluefish", which is the closest minor league affiliate. But hell, it's still about $20 per ticket, $3 a hot dog and about $5 or $6 for a beer. You have to REALLY be a fan these days, or wanting to go to make a memory with a loved one.

Cubs or Sox are very expensive, even with 'gifted tickets.' Parking is at least $25, if you get there very early. Cheapest souvenir is $15 and that would be a key chain or bottle opener. Of course you can buy the same in the burbs for much less, including caps, jackets, and t's, but try telling that to a kid. A dog is like $8, nachos $6. Pop $4. Good luck trying to get anything into the park like candy!

I guess we're lucky with the Cougars, most expensive on Sat. is under $20 and like Gabby said, that's not much more than the $15 movie theaters around here. The hot dogs are like $3, and pop is $1.50 for a big cup. Prices are much more reasonable, all one has to do is plan a bit.

I do think memories are made day-to-day. Cooking and cleaning up; sharing books; playing some board games, especially if coupled with making popcorn or something in the middle of the game; going for walks; planning surprises for others in family, all these are ways of saying, 'You are part of something bigger than just you, an important part.'

Best investments we made when kids were young and we had the money: memberships to museums and zoos. We belonged to both Brookfield and Lincoln Park zoos; Museum of Science and Industry; Field Museum; and The Art Institute. Both of my boys had birthday party overnights at the Field Museum-they still remember those. Every Christmas we hit all of them for special events at 'no cost.' A lot depends on the interests of kids and parents.

A lot of 'special events' can be found at colleges and even local high schools. Plays, Musicals, Art showings, choirs, dance and of course sports. There is some good times to be had regardless of finances, many at the schols are free or a couple bucks.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-10-2013, 06:02 PM

I hear ya, Glock. We sometimes head North about 40 miles and go to see the "Bridgeport Bluefish", which is the closest minor league affiliate. But hell, it's still about $20 per ticket, $3 a hot dog and about $5 or $6 for a beer. You have to REALLY be a fan these days, or wanting to go to make a memory with a loved one. Jim, there is always hunting or fishing to make memories with the kids. Even something as simple as reading a great book to them . Or better yet when they are young making up monster/hunting /fishing stories ! My daughter now 24 complains that she can not make up stories by the dozens for her son Caleb the way I did for her when she was his age and even a couple years older! She still talks about the 410ga. shotgun I bought her and taught her to shoot. Man, she made one helluva shot too. I take my son for walks around the block usually around 11pm on Saturday nights and tell ghost stories as we go by certain spooky houses, he just loves it. Especially when he gets scared and climbs up my back onto my shoulders to get away from the crocodiles that sometimes swarm out from the front yard pond of the corner house two blocks behind our house! :laugh: Precious memories are easy to make for kids, they require mostly just attention and love... --Tyr

gabosaurus
10-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Monday the 14th will be the Dodgers first home game against the Cardinals who won last night. It would be kind of you if you can get 2-3 more tickets! Perhaps some airfare with it? And maybe convince the hubby to let us crash there for a day or 2?

Depends on whether you bring underwear pics or not. :cool:

Jeff
10-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Jeff, I envy you and Gabby still having your dads. I miss both my mom and dad every day. The good part though is having all those memories.

When the kids were small we took them to a lot of major sporting events, but after the divorce that was rarely in the cards unless friends gave us their season tickets for a game, which did happen at least a couple times a year, but usually it was me and kid or my dad or brother with a kid. What we did do several times over the summer was minor league baseball, Kane County Cougars (http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t446) which is literally 20 minutes from my house. That was affordable, thanks for reminding me!

Gabby, if you think Major leagues cater to kids, you should give the minors a try next year. Cheap eats and nearly always he kids can get on the field before the game. The players love signing anything. No problem getting a birthday or special event mentioned on the board. Tons of kids!:

Kat when I was in SC still we use to go to the Bombers ( I believe it was either the Yankees or the Mets farm team ) but you are exactly right they had someone from the stands on the field all the time, the crowd was a bigger part of the game than the player , well maybe not quite that much but ya got the point :laugh:

Then I moved to GA and within the last few years they built the Gwinett Braves stadium ( yes the Braves farm team ) and it is as much fun as the Bombers where , but friends of ours gave us tickets to the Braves game down in Atlanta and I couldn't believe it but they did almost as much as the minor league teams did with the fans , it is truly a great family day , we have since returned a few times and always try to get in the same area ( to watch the pitcher warm up , all 3 of my younger kids pitch so it is a big thing for them ) and I must say growing up in NJ not 45 mins from the Meadow lands ( where I use to go a good bit to watch the Giants or the Jets ) baseball is a lot more fun to go watch.

Jeff
10-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Monday the 14th will be the Dodgers first home game against the Cardinals who won last night. It would be kind of you if you can get 2-3 more tickets! Perhaps some airfare with it? And maybe convince the hubby to let us crash there for a day or 2? :beer:

Gaby well your at it one more wouldn't hurt :laugh:

Jim I seen your post about that game at Yankee stadium, that was the Highlight of Trav's young life I believe he still talks about it , as for tickets there though I can remember when the new stadium opened and Jackie the Joke man was saying on Howard Stern how the season tickets where like $50,000 a year do ya think that is correct ? A bit to high for me :laugh:

And Tyr is right a good day hunting with your son is as good a day out as any, I can remember the first Time I took Zach ( he was 4 or 5 ) and I made sure he went to the bathroom back at the truck but sure enough about 15 mins before the sun was coming up he started with he had to go and I tried to get him to hold it but then felt bad for him so in the quietest of voices I told him to climb down and slowly dig a hole with his boot then cover it up ( I figured it would ruin the trip but I couldn't watch him suffer ) he looked at me with the most serious look and told me I dont have to go anymore daddy , I just busted out laughing and thanking God that he had a snow suite on and I was wearing a heavy Carhart suite :laugh:

gabosaurus
10-10-2013, 11:24 PM
I went to a Cubs game at Wrigley with a couple of friends. It was a day game, so we parked in a neighborhood about a mile and a half away and walked there. It was almost as good as the game itself. We passed these parking lots where people were paying $20-25 to have their cars parked five and six deep in lots. I think we probably got back to our car before any of them got out.

Looks like we might have tickets for Tuesday's game. I really despise how TV controls the starting times. I believe the first two games start at 5:30 PDT. Can you imagine having 50,000 people descend on Dodger Stadium during LA's legendary evening rush hour? :eek:

Kathianne
10-11-2013, 05:58 AM
I went to a Cubs game at Wrigley with a couple of friends. It was a day game, so we parked in a neighborhood about a mile and a half away and walked there. It was almost as good as the game itself. We passed these parking lots where people were paying $20-25 to have their cars parked five and six deep in lots. I think we probably got back to our car before any of them got out.

Looks like we might have tickets for Tuesday's game. I really despise how TV controls the starting times. I believe the first two games start at 5:30 PDT. Can you imagine having 50,000 people descend on Dodger Stadium during LA's legendary evening rush hour? :eek:

Before kids, that's what we did too. Wrigleyville is tough getting cabs in and walking with small children there not something I'd choose to do. Too many bars open, even in morning.

Jeff
10-11-2013, 07:20 AM

OMG having driven in your rush hour out there I understand exactly what you are saying ( I think I would get to the feild a few hours early if I was going ) here in Atlanta when they have a game on a Sunday ( no ruch hour traffic ) the Traffic is horrible and we are almost as bad as y'all when it comes to traffic.

Have a great Time Gaby !!

gabosaurus
10-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Much better seats on Tuesday, with a much larger price tag. Dodgers bats were in the deep freeze (again), but it was still a great experience. My dad and I both took a half-day off (post season baseball is always a good excuse) and took the bus to Dodger Stadium. Where we got to sit with a long time Cardinals fan and his son. Out in L.A. for the three games.
Watching baseball on a wonderful fall day with your dad and swapping stories with a lifelong baseball fan and his kid. What can be better?
Baseball is America. :salute: