PDA

View Full Version : General Knowledge

jafar00
10-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Q: Which group of people burns the most USA flags?

Arbo
10-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Most likely Americans. As it is the proper way to dispose of one, in a dignified ceremony. It's in the US Flag Code.

logroller
10-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Hey you navy guys, under what circumstance is another flag/pennant allowed to be flown above the Stars and Stripes?

Noir
10-09-2013, 03:24 AM
Penn and Teller.

fj1200
10-09-2013, 06:39 AM

Boy Scouts.

revelarts
10-09-2013, 11:41 AM
veteran memorial cemeteries?

http://joelbissell.com/files/2013/06/bissellweb_05.jpg

http://www.catholicsun.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/20120525cnsbr10692.jpg

tailfins
10-09-2013, 02:07 PM

Harvard Alumni. :laugh:

DragonStryk72
10-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Actually, It's the Boy Scouts of America. They actually burn thousands a year, even ones that they themselves haven't used, taking old US flags from around town, donating new ones in their place, and then properly disposing of the old ones.

aboutime
10-10-2013, 09:37 PM
hey you navy guys, under what circumstance is another flag/pennant allowed to be flown above the stars and stripes?

never! Unless the day is Sunday, and Church services are being held onboard. Then...the CHURCH pennant is flown above the Ensign.

jafar00
10-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Most likely Americans. As it is the proper way to dispose of one, in a dignified ceremony. It's in the US Flag Code.

Thats right!

Boy Scouts.

Actually, It's the Boy Scouts of America. They actually burn thousands a year, even ones that they themselves haven't used, taking old US flags from around town, donating new ones in their place, and then properly disposing of the old ones.

You two get extra points for the extra detail! :)

aboutime
10-11-2013, 04:45 PM
never! Unless the day is Sunday, and Church services are being held onboard. Then...the CHURCH pennant is flown above the Ensign.

Jeff. I'm wondering what happened to logroller, who asked about a flag flying above the National Ensign.

I was in communications during my years in the Navy, and began my navy career as a Signalman before becoming a Radioman. In fact. I stood watches on several ships on the Signal bridge before becoming a Radioman.
So...I guess logroller was shocked with my FACTUAL reply to his question.

Arbo
10-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Jeff. I'm wondering what happened to logroller, who asked about a flag flying above the National Ensign.

Perhaps he noted your first response, prior to the edit (which probably came after a google search). LOL. :laugh:

Voted4Reagan
10-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Hey you navy guys, under what circumstance is another flag/pennant allowed to be flown above the Stars and Stripes?

When entering a foreign port as a sign of Honor to the host country. It's an ancient maritime tradition.

Also...remember that the place of Honor on ship is on the Gaff or Yardarm. Not the top of the mast.

Therefore the question is irrelevant.

Courtesy Flags When you visit foreign water, your boat should display a courtesy flag (the civil ensign of the country you are visiting (http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/foreign.html)) whenever your U.S. national ensign (the USPS ensign or the yacht ensign should not be displayed in foreign waters) is displayed. (The USPS ensign and U.S. yacht ensign should not be worn in foreign waters)
If your vessel is mastless, it should wear this "courtesy flag" at the bow, in lieu of a squadron or club burgee, or on a starboard antenna strong enough to support it. It your vessel has one or more masts, display it single-hoisted at the outboard signal halyard of the main starboard spreader. Move any flag normally flown there to the inboard starboard halyard or, if your boat has only one halyard per side, to the port spreader halyard.
The customs observed in various foreign waters differ from one another. Try to learn the correct procedure for the country you are entering. For example, is some countries it is customary to fly the courtesy flag only after the quarantine flag (the yellow 'Q' flag) and the vessel has been granted pratique (http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/pratique.html) by the appropriate authorities.
Do not fly a foreign courtesy flag after you have returned to U.S. waters. It is not to be used as a badge of accomplishment for having cruised to another country.