PDA

View Full Version : Documentary: The Men Who Made Us Fat

jafar00
10-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Why are we getting fat, getting diabetes and heart disease despite the low fat, high carb mantra we have been "fed" in the the official food pyramid and how have food manufacturers played a role in making us all lard asses?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nGlLUBkOQ

DragonStryk72
10-10-2013, 03:36 AM
Why are we getting fat, getting diabetes and heart disease despite the low fat, high carb mantra we have been "fed" in the the official food pyramid and how have food manufacturers played a role in making us all lard asses?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nGlLUBkOQ

I don't know, that to me is a bit oversimplified, and it's based on the posit that it's the food, but it isn't so much as we give it credit for. It's like Jillian Micheals says, "Everyone knows that an apple is healthier than Snickers."

Now, I'm never gonna be thin, but I also understand where my weight comes from: I have a strong interest in greasy food, and a sweet tooth a mile wide. I legitimately look forward to my friend's state of VT having their state fair in Essex each year, because they have deep-fried oreos, and Jersey pizza is the only worthwhile thing to really come out of Jersey in a good while. Sure it looks like a train wreck, but my God is it tasty. Now, these choices wouldn't be so bad, but I'm a writer, so most of my time is spent sitting at a computer typing away. Mentally stimulating as that can be, it lacks a certain physicality.

Then I watch my buddy Drew, who drives his car to the local 7-11, constantly eats fast food, and spend the majority of his off hours playing video games. Now, he's Navy, so he's gotta stay in shape, but if he didn't? The fact is, we are lazier as a whole than we used to be, because we no longer need to do many of the physical tasks that were daily life 50 years ago, and since then, have added in many more sedate activities, such as video games, and the internet.

I'm just saying, there are more factors than the video puts forth.

jafar00
10-10-2013, 05:08 AM
Now, I'm never gonna be thin, but I also understand where my weight comes from: I have a strong interest in greasy food, and a sweet tooth a mile wide.

There's your problem. The greasy food isn't necessarily bad, but when you combine fat and carbs, you are in for a bad time. Inflammation from excess carbs leads to heart disease, insulin is released to deal with the excess sugar in your blood which gets turned into fat and what you don't use is deposited on your hips. Lets not even mention diabetes as that's a given. Cutting the sugar back and replacing it with an alternative that doesn't cause a crazy insulin response is a good suggestion. You may not want to go as far as a Ketogenic diet and cut almost all carbs out, but for your health and long life, ditch the sweet tooth and keep it for rare and special occasions.

DragonStryk72
10-10-2013, 09:46 AM
There's your problem. The greasy food isn't necessarily bad, but when you combine fat and carbs, you are in for a bad time. Inflammation from excess carbs leads to heart disease, insulin is released to deal with the excess sugar in your blood which gets turned into fat and what you don't use is deposited on your hips. Lets not even mention diabetes as that's a given. Cutting the sugar back and replacing it with an alternative that doesn't cause a crazy insulin response is a good suggestion. You may not want to go as far as a Ketogenic diet and cut almost all carbs out, but for your health and long life, ditch the sweet tooth and keep it for rare and special occasions.

No, that's not the problem, that's a part of the problem. How did you not catch that?

If I were more active, this wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not more active. Actually, that's not accurate, I walk most places that I go, and I run about a ton at LARP, but it's still not as active as I used to be. A lot of times, I'm almost forced into a position of being inactive. Continuing to ignore the full issue is not a solution, in any aspect of life.

cadet
10-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm still stuck on the title.
"The men who made us fat."
Ain't nobody MADE you fat. You made you fat.

Be like me and run/lift every other day! :thumb:

jafar00
10-10-2013, 02:21 PM
No, that's not the problem, that's a part of the problem. How did you not catch that?

If I were more active, this wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not more active. Actually, that's not accurate, I walk most places that I go, and I run about a ton at LARP, but it's still not as active as I used to be. A lot of times, I'm almost forced into a position of being inactive. Continuing to ignore the full issue is not a solution, in any aspect of life.

In the doco, the junk food companies blamed the inactivity of kids for their growing obesity problem. However they monitored the kids and found out they were just as active as ever. It was the increasing amount of junk they were consuming that was the problem.

You have to admit, 64oz Double Gulp Sodas full of High Fructose Corn Syrup are akin to genocide of an entire generation when you look at the effect on our health.

jafar00
10-10-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm still stuck on the title.
"The men who made us fat."
Ain't nobody MADE you fat. You made you fat.

Be like me and run/lift every other day! :thumb:

I don't run but I do 5km min every day walking and eat a healthy diet with plenty of fat, protein and a little healthy carbs from vegetables.

Trigg
10-10-2013, 03:41 PM
If you look at the introduction of High Fructose Corn Syrup into MOST of our foods, and the jump in diabetes rates, it's pretty clear what the culprit is.

It's in everything because it's cheaper than real sugar. The body has a hard time breaking it down.

I firmly believe it is the cause, among other things like a sedentary lifestyle, that is causing the obesity epidemic.

cadet
10-10-2013, 03:49 PM
If you look at the introduction of High Fructose Corn Syrup into MOST of our foods, and the jump in diabetes rates, it's pretty clear what the culprit is.

It's in everything because it's cheaper than real sugar. The body has a hard time breaking it down.

I firmly believe it is the cause, among other things like a sedentary lifestyle, that is causing the obesity epidemic.

(she cooks all natural food)

DragonStryk72
10-10-2013, 08:46 PM
In the doco, the junk food companies blamed the inactivity of kids for their growing obesity problem. However they monitored the kids and found out they were just as active as ever. It was the increasing amount of junk they were consuming that was the problem.

You have to admit, 64oz Double Gulp Sodas full of High Fructose Corn Syrup are akin to genocide of an entire generation when you look at the effect on our health.

Um, no I don't. Genocide is the systematic eradication of a race or species. They are not that, and being fat is not akin to genocide in any way. The only people who call these sorts of things are genocide are those who have not seen what genocide actually is.

It's not just kids, though. It's adults, as well, and I'm sorry, but being "active" is different than proper play and exercise. They just say "active" but they don't define what they mean by active. I can be active without exercising, and without exceeding my caloric intake, which means I gain instead of lose weight.

I'm not saying that what we eat isn't a factor, but it is NOT the only significant factor. Anyone claiming otherwise just isn't paying attention to reality. No serious problem holds a simple solution.

jafar00
10-10-2013, 09:57 PM

You could argue that a sedentary lifestyle is caused by being fat in the first place. Ever since I lost the weight, I have been filled with energy. I feel like I'm walking on clouds. I even went for a jog on the weekend for the first time in many years because I woke up with too much energy and had to burn it off :)

Um, no I don't. Genocide is the systematic eradication of a race or species. They are not that, and being fat is not akin to genocide in any way. The only people who call these sorts of things are genocide are those who have not seen what genocide actually is.

It's not just kids, though. It's adults, as well, and I'm sorry, but being "active" is different than proper play and exercise. They just say "active" but they don't define what they mean by active. I can be active without exercising, and without exceeding my caloric intake, which means I gain instead of lose weight.

I'm not saying that what we eat isn't a factor, but it is NOT the only significant factor. Anyone claiming otherwise just isn't paying attention to reality. No serious problem holds a simple solution.

I believe from personal experience as well as the science that what we eat IS the primary factor influencing obesity and Diabetes today. I could never lose weight and was pre-diabetic before I cut the carbs to 25g a day and ate more fat. Now I'm much lighter and my blood work came out healthy and normal.