PDA

View Full Version : Been in a bit of a funk

jimnyc
10-10-2013, 04:23 PM
I thought I was a tad sick since returning from my trip to SC/Ga. I'm not so sure it's not just depression though. I thought I was sick as I've had several headaches, lethargic, wanting to sleep all the time & even the most basic of chores felt like too much work and I would get aches and pains easily. But I think some of it is from not enough exercise and too much sleep combined. I think I went into a bit of a depression after the trip. I don't even know if that's normal for someone with bipolar (which is a new name for what we used to call 'manic depression').

I'm finding myself wanting to avoid calls and normal contact with people. Hell, haven't even wanted to type much since I got back. Basically, I've just been a useless bum in the past 10 days or so. Luckily, I've pushed myself into doing my regular daily "work", so as not to get in trouble with the woman of the house.

I don't know if this was triggered by seeing family and then having to say goodbye. Was it finding out the diagnosis for my son? At first I took it in stride and just figured go day to day and do the right thing. Now I'm wondering, as all of these things are hereditary, did he get it from me? I'm sure he did. He's definitely turning into a little "mini me", with all of bells and whistles included!

Not sure what triggers this when it happens, and I probably never will know. But I know the highs and lows always change and always will. I'm working on ways to take advantage of the positives, and hopefully in times like this I can just understand at least, and make efforts to change feelings if I can, or at the very least just understand and wait it out. I figured I would force myself to post a little bit and see if it helps.

aboutime
10-10-2013, 05:37 PM
I thought I was a tad sick since returning from my trip to SC/Ga. I'm not so sure it's not just depression though. I thought I was sick as I've had several headaches, lethargic, wanting to sleep all the time & even the most basic of chores felt like too much work and I would get aches and pains easily. But I think some of it is from not enough exercise and too much sleep combined. I think I went into a bit of a depression after the trip. I don't even know if that's normal for someone with bipolar (which is a new name for what we used to call 'manic depression').

I'm finding myself wanting to avoid calls and normal contact with people. Hell, haven't even wanted to type much since I got back. Basically, I've just been a useless bum in the past 10 days or so. Luckily, I've pushed myself into doing my regular daily "work", so as not to get in trouble with the woman of the house.

I don't know if this was triggered by seeing family and then having to say goodbye. Was it finding out the diagnosis for my son? At first I took it in stride and just figured go day to day and do the right thing. Now I'm wondering, as all of these things are hereditary, did he get it from me? I'm sure he did. He's definitely turning into a little "mini me", with all of bells and whistles included!

Not sure what triggers this when it happens, and I probably never will know. But I know the highs and lows always change and always will. I'm working on ways to take advantage of the positives, and hopefully in times like this I can just understand at least, and make efforts to change feelings if I can, or at the very least just understand and wait it out. I figured I would force myself to post a little bit and see if it helps.

Jim. Not to sound like a smart-ass or anything but. You sound exactly like most of us have probably felt at some time in our lives. It's part of being alive, living, and dealing with the common stresses, and problems all of us face from time to time.
You control your destiny. So, you have the power change what is taking place in your life...IF YOU WANT IT TO CHANGE.
Now that I've said it. Don't scold me for NOT minding my own business. But YOU put it out there for all of us to see. Using this forum as your personal diary will, and can have it's pitfalls.
If you weren't looking for answers, or opinions. You shouldn't have started the thread.
Hang in there. Tomorrow is another day. Live it to it's fullest.

tailfins
10-10-2013, 05:50 PM

What about exercise? A treadmill would do wonders for you. Don't geek over your son's diagnosis; it's just a word. Interestingly enough the ongoing fight to stay prosperous keeps depression away from me.

jimnyc
10-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Jim. Not to sound like a smart-ass or anything but. You sound exactly like most of us have probably felt at some time in our lives. It's part of being alive, living, and dealing with the common stresses, and problems all of us face from time to time.
You control your destiny. So, you have the power change what is taking place in your life...IF YOU WANT IT TO CHANGE.
Now that I've said it. Don't scold me for NOT minding my own business. But YOU put it out there for all of us to see. Using this forum as your personal diary will, and can have it's pitfalls.
If you weren't looking for answers, or opinions. You shouldn't have started the thread.
Hang in there. Tomorrow is another day. Live it to it's fullest.

I think you bring valid points, I wouldn't be upset or scold someone for that. And I think you're right to an extent. I think a lot of things that I struggle with over time is everyday issues for others. I can take criticisms. :)

What about exercise? A treadmill would do wonders for you. Don't geek over your son's diagnosis; it's just a word. Interestingly enough the ongoing fight to stay prosperous keeps depression away from me.

I still hit the gym, but my schedule of going there is very erratic. I either go too much or then not enough. Instead of pushing myself to the point that I hate the place, I should reel it back in and just go 2x a week or so. I love the steam room or a sauna the most and really wish I could afford to have a good one at home.

jafar00
10-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Come to my place Jim. Global warming is giving us fantastic warm, sunny days lately. My place is 5 mins from the beach too. Soaking up some warm rays is proven to help when you're feeling a bit down.

Jeff
10-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Jim I think everyone has great advice or ideas , but I have to agree with AT , don't let anything work your mind so hard that it gets to ya, when y'all left I fell quickly but soon realized I can't change the fact that we live so far apart so I cherish the times we do get together and also the memories , as for Jordan that boy will be fine, he is a brilliant kid and time will show ya he is fine, I don't believe in all these names they give to kids ( and I know I am old fashion ) but to me it is simple, the Boy is board with talking with say my boys because he is much more mature , when I sat and talked with him in PA it was a great conversation and he looked like any other happy go lucky kid but spoke like a adult, I personally thought Jordan was a breath of fresh air to be around and I am sure he will have you and his Mom in him and he will do just fine in life.

gabosaurus
10-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Jim, I understand your problem. The Steelers suck this season, you're a coast away from good baseball and you can't get any boobies.
What you REALLY need to do is trade in your funk for some FUNK. Lay down the groove, boy, and play that funky music til you die.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qe1ScoePqVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jafar00
10-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Ooh yeh. Funk sure cures the funk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqtki6I-VTY

Jeff
10-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Jim, I understand your problem. The Steelers suck this season, you're a coast away from good baseball and you can't get any boobies.
What you REALLY need to do is trade in your funk for some FUNK. Lay down the groove, boy, and play that funky music til you die.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qe1ScoePqVA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

OK you had me going until the coast away from good baseball comment :laugh: as for the Boobies well we all need them, but where Jim lives if he can't see good Boobies he needs glasses , but as for the Squeelers all I can say is :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Jim I think everyone has great advice or ideas , but I have to agree with AT , don't let anything work your mind so hard that it gets to ya, when y'all left I fell quickly but soon realized I can't change the fact that we live so far apart so I cherish the times we do get together and also the memories , as for Jordan that boy will be fine, he is a brilliant kid and time will show ya he is fine, I don't believe in all these names they give to kids ( and I know I am old fashion ) but to me it is simple, the Boy is board with talking with say my boys because he is much more mature , when I sat and talked with him in PA it was a great conversation and he looked like any other happy go lucky kid but spoke like a adult, I personally thought Jordan was a breath of fresh air to be around and I am sure he will have you and his Mom in him and he will do just fine in life. I AGREE WITH THAT ATTITUDE. Jim should concentrate on the good but still address the negatives. However its so very important to find all the good and remind oneself that its there and the far more likely outcome is that his son will be just fine. Hard to do when its your own kid and you love them so much but a necessary action to take IMHO. How hard is it? For me it took 6 looooong years to get there. Then again I am just an old country clod, Jim being brighter and a city boy he should arrive there mush faster. Think of it as a race Jim and just finishing is the objective rather than being first.. so speed is not as important as is dedication and perseverance. He obviously loves his son so -they- WILL SUCCEED. Lots of truly bright kids go thru similar things it's a part of growing up. --Tyr

Abbey Marie
10-11-2013, 01:45 PM
I get down when I don't have something to look forward to. So my first suggestion is that you and your brothers plan a regular get-together, say every other month. Not everyone has to go every time. It may really help your outlook.

Secondly, can you think about volunteering somehwere that makes you feel good? I'm currently volunteering at the USO, but I have previously volunteered at animal shelters.

Thirdly, you know what I have been suggesting you go to in PMs for several months now. I still think it would do wonders...

:hug99:

jafar00
10-14-2013, 04:35 AM
I get down when I don't have something to look forward to. So my first suggestion is that you and your brothers plan a regular get-together, say every other month. Not everyone has to go every time. It may really help your outlook.

Secondly, can you think about volunteering somehwere that makes you feel good? I'm currently volunteering at the USO, but I have previously volunteered at animal shelters.

Thirdly, you know what I have been suggesting you go to in PMs for several months now. I still think it would do wonders...

:hug99:

There is something in that. The Dalai Lama was once asked what the secret to happiness is. His reply? "Feel useful" :)

KitchenKitten99
10-15-2013, 09:45 PM
What helps me when I feel like that (and I do, considering the crap that we're dealing with owning a tobacco store in a very liberal anti-tobacco state).

So, what I do, is I try to laugh and find random things on YouTube. Here are some of my favorites:

http://youtu.be/B-Wd-Q3F8KM

http://youtu.be/qs7Ni4jPr0w

My own Stolichnaya Konstantin enjoying the last warm day and top down on our convertible a couple days ago.

http://youtu.be/Ciy0rIwIYY4

KitchenKitten99
10-15-2013, 10:06 PM
This one is rather silly:

http://youtu.be/Tx1XIm6q4r4

Those great kitty-cat fails:

http://youtu.be/wS6mcMsfArM

I don't care who you are, this is an instant (if only temporary) anti-depressant:

http://youtu.be/Q1qwD3ArWxc

KitchenKitten99
10-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Will Chuck Norris blend??

http://youtu.be/X9V-goCaua0

KitchenKitten99
10-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Shamelessly posting more of my dog (when he was a puppy)

http://youtu.be/8EjTmZZY8q8

KitchenKitten99
10-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Jim, I can't recall if you like country music or not but... here's a song I think you'll like:

http://youtu.be/Gcpuiwx1YkY

Said1
10-21-2013, 11:10 AM
It's all about astrology. Expect some intensity towards the end of the month, then things slowly letting up moreso towards mid to late November. As well, be careful in all communications with people (verbal, e-mail, here), expect some mishaps lol :thumb:

tailfins
10-21-2013, 11:51 AM
It's all about astrology. Expect some intensity towards the end of the month, then things slowly letting up moreso towards mid to late November. As well, be careful in all communications with people (verbal, e-mail, here), expect some mishaps lol :thumb:

As they used to say on MASH: MULE MUFFINS! Stay away from the occult; it will only bring you heartache. Much like many computers are "powered by Intel", the occult is "powered by Lucifer".

Said1
10-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Planets etc are real. There is nothing occult about it, they give off energy which influences things and junk, just like the sun.

KitchenKitten99
10-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Jim, I have the cure-all for your blues.

If anything, you can always take comfort in the fact that things could be worse. You could be Mr. Pelosi.

aboutime
10-25-2013, 02:43 PM

This is how deeply, and how much I am into, or believe in Astrology. Almost as much as I believe in the VOODOO of Jamaica.

http://youtu.be/XVSRm80WzZk

aboutime
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Jim, I have the cure-all for your blues.

If anything, you can always take comfort in the fact that things could be worse. You could be Mr. Pelosi.

:lol:Holy Crap KitchenKitten. GOD FORBID such a terrible thought. Imagine Jim undergoing Botox treatments???5710My apologies for upsetting your stomach folks.

KitchenKitten99
10-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Imagine waking up to THAT thing every morning. No wonder their state legalized MJ. I'd need to smoke something regularly too if I had to see the morning after version of Miz Nan...

:puke: