PDA

View Full Version : Just 51,000 Americans have enrolled in Federal Obamacare exchanges???

Little-Acorn
10-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Nearly two weeks ago, Obamacare opened for business, opening "exchanges" where people could sign up for it.

"Could" might be too nice a word. Participation is MANDATORY, with Federal law imposing stiff penalties if you don't sign up.

Now the numbers are starting to trickle out: Almost nobody is signing up, even with threats of penalties and IRS crackdowns hanging over their heads.

It looks like the grim facts are proving true, despite rosy media predictions: THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DON'T WANT OBAMACARE, AND NEVER DID.

How many of the nonexistent signups, are due to the huge problems and glitches in these "exchanges"?

OTOH, how many people took a look at the huge problems and glitches, and said, "Forget it, I'm not signing up for something that poorly run!"?

How many of the signups they DID get, are people who tried to sign up once, ran into glitches and crashes, and came back later to try again, start from scratch, and wound up signed up twice? Or three times? Or ten?

And how many never wanted to sign up for something that charges such high prices for the diminished service Obamacare offers, in the first place?

Almost as odd, is the fact that the signup numbers are such a "trickle". When asked how the signups are going, Federal officials keep saying they don't know, they don't have the information. Yet the employees of the exchanges, have all that info at their fingertips, and are telling reporters about it.

Do the top official have THAT poor communication with their own employees? Or are they simply afraid to admit the truth: That Obamacare is provinto be a huge flop? That even when threatened with penalties, people still don't want to sign up?

----------------------------------------------------

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2013/10/11/report-just-51000-americans-have-enrolled-on-federal-obamacare-exchange-n1721164

Oh My: Just 51,000 Americans Have Enrolled in Federal Obamacare Exchanges?

Guy Benson | Oct 11, 2013

Remember, the Obama administration has been pretending that they don't have this data, which nobody believes. They've been sitting on it because it's super-embarrassing and underscores the magnitude of their failure and incompetence. Sadly for Sebelius & Co., the media has these things called "sources," and the UK Daily Mail gives the world its first glimpse of Obamacare's trainwreck-by-the-numbers. Wow:

Just 51,000 people completed Obamacare applications during the first week the Healthcare.gov website was online, according to two sources inside the Department of Health and Human Services who gave MailOnline an exclusive look at the earliest enrollment numbers.

The career civil servants, who process data inside the agency, confirmed independently that just 6,200 Americans applied for health insurance through the problem-plagued website on October 1, the day it first opened to the public.

Neither HHS nor the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services would comment on the record about the numbers. Enroll America, the president's organization of health care 'navigators' who are charged with helping Americans sign up, didn't reply to a request for information about its level of success so far. The White House also did not respond to emails seeking comment.

But several administration officials have claimed this month that they didn't have access to the kinds of raw figures MailOnline obtained from the people who work for them. And the anemic totals suggest a far lower level of interest in coverage through the Affordable Care Act than the Obama administration has hoped to see.

A devastating paragraph. First of all 51,000 people out of the entire combined populations of 36 states is microscopic. It's a rounding error. It's as if a sold-out Yankee Stadium signed up -- and nobody else. In a nation of 300 million.

Questions: Of the lucky 51,000, how many aren't actually signed up, thanks to another related snag? And how many are duplicates?

The British paper also smacks down the White House's obvious lie that they aren't aware of these numbers. The figures were provided to the press by people who report to the very officials who say they don't have access to them.

At the state level, potential enrollees' experiences have varied, though not even the uber-prepared state of Maryland has met with much success. In Iowa, home to a hybrid state/federal exchange, five people have signed up. In Hawaii, which runs its own exchange, zero people have obtained coverage.

The Mail article suggests that public interest in Obamacare is unsustainably low, given the enrollment levels required to keep the program afloat. I think that's a premature conclusion. How many people have tried to sign on and failed due to all the glitches and crashes?

logroller
10-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Nearly two weeks ago, Obamacare opened for business, opening "exchanges" where people could sign up for it.

"Could" might be too nice a word. Participation is MANDATORY, with Federal law imposing stiff penalties if you don't sign up.

Now the numbers are starting to trickle out: Almost nobody is signing up, even with threats of penalties and IRS crackdowns hanging over their heads.

It looks like the grim facts are proving true, despite rosy media predictions: THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DON'T WANT OBAMACARE, AND NEVER DID.

How many of the nonexistent signups, are due to the huge problems and glitches in these "exchanges"?

OTOH, how many people took a look at the huge problems and glitches, and said, "Forget it, I'm not signing up for something that poorly run!"?

How many of the signups they DID get, are people who tried to sign up once, ran into glitches and crashes, and came back later to try again, start from scratch, and wound up signed up twice? Or three times? Or ten?

And how many never wanted to sign up for something that charges such high prices for the diminished service Obamacare offers, in the first place?

Almost as odd, is the fact that the signup numbers are such a "trickle". When asked how the signups are going, Federal officials keep saying they don't know, they don't have the information. Yet the employees of the exchanges, have all that info at their fingertips, and are telling reporters about it.

Do the top official have THAT poor communication with their own employees? Or are they simply afraid to admit the truth: That Obamacare is provinto be a huge flop? That even when threatened with penalties, people still don't want to sign up?

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2013/10/11/report-just-51000-americans-have-enrolled-on-federal-obamacare-exchange-n1721164

Remember, the Obama administration has been pretending that they don't have this data, which nobody believes. They've been sitting on it because it's super-embarrassing and underscores the magnitude of their failure and incompetence. Sadly for Sebelius & Co., the media has these things called "sources," and the UK Daily Mail gives the world its first glimpse of Obamacare's trainwreck-by-the-numbers. Wow:

Just 51,000 people completed Obamacare applications during the first week the Healthcare.gov website was online, according to two sources inside the Department of Health and Human Services who gave MailOnline an exclusive look at the earliest enrollment numbers.

The career civil servants, who process data inside the agency, confirmed independently that just 6,200 Americans applied for health insurance through the problem-plagued website on October 1, the day it first opened to the public.

Neither HHS nor the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services would comment on the record about the numbers. Enroll America, the president's organization of health care 'navigators' who are charged with helping Americans sign up, didn't reply to a request for information about its level of success so far. The White House also did not respond to emails seeking comment.

But several administration officials have claimed this month that they didn't have access to the kinds of raw figures MailOnline obtained from the people who work for them. And the anemic totals suggest a far lower level of interest in coverage through the Affordable Care Act than the Obama administration has hoped to see.

A devastating paragraph. First of all 51,000 people out of the entire combined populations of 36 states is microscopic. It's a rounding error. It's as if a sold-out Yankee Stadium signed up -- and nobody else. In a nation of 300 million.

Questions: Of the lucky 51,000, how many aren't actually signed up, thanks to another related snag? And how many are duplicates?

The British paper also smacks down the White House's obvious lie that they aren't aware of these numbers. The figures were provided to the press by people who report to the very officials who say they don't have access to them.

At the state level, potential enrollees' experiences have varied, though not even the uber-prepared state of Maryland has met with much success. In Iowa, home to a hybrid state/federal exchange, five people have signed up. In Hawaii, which runs its own exchange, zero people have obtained coverage.

The Mail article suggests that public interest in Obamacare is unsustainably low, given the enrollment levels required to keep the program afloat. I think that's a premature conclusion. How many people have tried to sign on and failed due to all the glitches and crashes?

I figure the target demographic for the healthcare exchange are those who qualify for subsidies-- with those subsidies as yet unfunded, not many should be expected to sign up.
I was just assuming that the impetus for the house refusing to fund those subsidies was to cause the primary mechanism of ACA, the exchange program, to flop. There's still the tax penalty but that's not until tax year 2014 and, even then, its a pittance compared to the cost of insurance.

Arbo
10-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Saw the story elsewhere... townhall and unnamed sources... Not the best combination for reliability.

Little-Acorn
10-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Saw the story elsewhere... townhall and unnamed sources... Not the best combination for reliability.

TRANSLATION: I can't refute anything in the story, but I hate it anyway. So I'll attack the messenger instead, try to smear him and raise doubts about "reliability" (again without citing any actual evidence to support my smears), and hope people believe me instead of the facts cited in the story itself.

Arbo
10-11-2013, 04:20 PM
TRANSLATION: I can't refute anything in the story, but I hate it anyway. So I'll attack the messenger instead, try to smear him and raise doubts about "reliability" (again without citing any actual evidence to support my smears), and hope people believe me instead of the facts cited in the story itself.

One can not 'refute' 'unnamed sources'. Oh wait. I just spoke to 'unnamed sources' in the 'white house' who said the story was false. LOL.

The states that have exchanges have reported more than the 51k this story reports, it's been in numerous sources. But one must pay attention outside of their narrow view.

Little-Acorn
10-11-2013, 06:12 PM
One can not 'refute' 'unnamed sources'.

Sure, you can. Just come up with the figures you claim are correct, and which contradict the ones presented in the story... and back them up.

Shouldn't be any problem for someone who is right.

(Why haven't you done that?)

DragonStryk72
10-11-2013, 08:29 PM
I figure the target demographic for the healthcare exchange are those who qualify for subsidies-- with those subsidies as yet unfunded, not many should be expected to sign up.
I was just assuming that the impetus for the house refusing to fund those subsidies was to cause the primary mechanism of ACA, the exchange program, to flop. There's still the tax penalty but that's not until tax year 2014 and, even then, its a pittance compared to the cost of insurance.

You're forgetting that most people have incorrect understandings of how these exchanges, and the tax credits work. You have to keep in mind that there are a large percentage of people who don't understand how ACA actually works.

Little-Acorn
10-13-2013, 10:06 AM
there are a large percentage of people who don't understand how ACA actually works.

Probably due to the fact that the ACA actually doesn't work.

logroller
10-16-2013, 06:25 AM
You're forgetting that most people have incorrect understandings of how these exchanges, and the tax credits work. You have to keep in mind that there are a large percentage of people who don't understand how ACA actually works.

Well I believe those in Washington know how it works; in effect, its a subsidy; that's the entire reason that the GOP has refused to fund it, to ensure that it doesn't work.

The fact is that its advanced tax credit mechanism is unsure to be funded; and without that it won't work. It'd be like if you were signing up for a new cell phone and the $500 phone is only $100 but at any time that may change and you'll then owe the difference. Would you sign up under those conditions?

aboutime
10-16-2013, 07:47 PM

Most of the proven, uneducated Americans who also voted for Obama, sadly are also unaware, or unfamiliar that the....ACA, and OBAMACARE are THE SAME THING.

Obama demanded the name be changed in order to FOOL the people into BUYING his BS.

bingster
10-16-2013, 09:06 PM

Townhall? I'd trust Wiki more than townhall...... Why don't you just post off of Red State?

bingster
10-16-2013, 09:21 PM

Using your more popular site, Fox Noise, you have to read it and do the math. Since they're trying to hide the real number (yea, so is Obama-I'll admit). I count 36,000 from the federal exchanges and 42,000 from State exchanges for a total of 78,000 through the exchanges. While that sucks, I do admit! I've said numerous times on another forum, IT SUCKS!
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/16/numbers-trickle-in-but-enrolled-figures-for-obamacare-websites-still-unclear/
But, I'm adding another article to this report. Feel free to read the whole thing (There's plenty of Obamacare bashing contained). But, it reminds you of another 8 million receiving Medicare on Jan 1 and another 600,000 receiving coverage in an expansion of LIHP in California. So, add all of that up (not counting kids younger than 26 who get to stay on parents insurance) and you have 8,678,000 new people with health coverage. Pretty damn good use of a couple of weeks. :beer:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2013/10/14/how-many-people-have-enrolled-in-obamacare-an-early-look/2/

aboutime
10-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Using your more popular site, Fox Noise, you have to read it and do the math. Since they're trying to hide the real number (yea, so is Obama-I'll admit). I count 36,000 from the federal exchanges and 42,000 from State exchanges for a total of 78,000 through the exchanges. While that sucks, I do admit! I've said numerous times on another forum, IT SUCKS!
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/16/numbers-trickle-in-but-enrolled-figures-for-obamacare-websites-still-unclear/
But, I'm adding another article to this report. Feel free to read the whole thing (There's plenty of Obamacare bashing contained). But, it reminds you of another 8 million receiving Medicare on Jan 1 and another 600,000 receiving coverage in an expansion of LIHP in California. So, add all of that up (not counting kids younger than 26 who get to stay on parents insurance) and you have 8,678,000 new people with health coverage. Pretty damn good use of a couple of weeks. :beer:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2013/10/14/how-many-people-have-enrolled-in-obamacare-an-early-look/2/

bingster. All of that sounds like your personal version of the SMASH HIT.....

"Piggies Fly", by OBL, and the I KILL YOU 5674 gang.

Arbo
10-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Obama demanded the name be changed in order to FOOL the people into BUYING his BS.

:laugh: Can you provide a link that supports it was one thing and Obama came along and demanded and/or forced the name to be changed? What stupidity, it is and always was the ACA...