PDA

View Full Version : A great ride!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-13-2013, 07:27 PM
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ride-1968-amc-amx-174258846.html Your Ride: 1968 AMC AMX
Boldride In 1968, the AMC AMX was regarded as one of the best American sportscars in the market. With a top-end, 315-hp V8, it had power, with a fastback, two-door layout, it had styling, and with a niche market, it drew in hoards of young buyers that not even the Mustang nor the Corvette could match.

One of our readers, Todd, out of Glenwood Springs, Colorado, wanted us to feature his stunning ’68 AMX. This example comes with a custom maroon paint job and only 90,000 miles on the ticker.

Read the full story here:

AMC AMX 4

How did you acquire your ride?

I took possession of this badass pony on April 21st, 2012, five years after I lost my father to cancer. My step mother and sister took the car to Denver after dad passed not telling me why they would do this. But after the car sat in storage for 4 years enough was enough. My sister was paying $75\month to store the car.

So I went to Denver and jumped behind the wheel and drove it back to it’s home, along the way I popped in a tape that I asked dad to make for us about fun stories of his life and family history I had never listened to it before this it, was like having my pops sitting shotgun with me. I wept and smiled for three hours strait. This would only be about the 6th time I have driven the car as dad was very proud of this beast.

Dad bought the car new off the lot in 1969, this was his daily driver for many years. It now has just over 90,000 miles on it. I now store the AMX in a multi-million private airplane hanger that I caretake. I’m told that I would be considered an original owner since was passed down through the blood line. My son Hunter and I have since shown the car in some of the local shows as dad used to do. Lots of people remember her from back in the Day. Hunter will most likely end up the owner someday many years from now.

AMC AMX 5

What drew you in when you bought it?

I can’t say that I bought the car as I think it was a part of my DNA since I was born in 1975…

Does it have a name?

I think Dad used to call it LIL Emos? Or something like that.

AMC AMX

What do you feel like when you drive it?

Well when I drive her I feel like I’m king of the road and maybe a bit intimidated from the power of the 390.

What would you change about your car, if anything?

I would like to put in a better sound system, maybe the stripe down the center of her again and maybe the blue she first sported originally.

AMC AMX 6

What have you done to make it a bolder ride?

I have not done a thing to her but change the fluids.
My older brother Jessie had a good friend that had one in 1969/70. It was blue and wickedly fast. I was 14/15 back then so never drove it but rode in it a couple dozen times. I was never at the races they did out by the airport but heard the car won a great many races. Not sure of any modifications that George Earl did to it but do know he made it a bit faster. Guy was a great mechanic and knew cars upside down and inside out like nobody's business. Click on the link to see a beautiful car...-Tyr

Kathianne
10-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Tyr, I don't remember that car. Wasn't AMC the follow-up to Rambler?

Gaffer
10-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Tyr, I don't remember that car. Wasn't AMC the follow-up to Rambler?

The Rambler was made by AMC. I had two at different times. They were pretty good cars. AMC made good domestic cars but were always trying to break into the HOT CAR market.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Tyr, I don't remember that car. Wasn't AMC the follow-up to Rambler? Check this out .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SX6fGNRFjk Not really sure about the answer to your question Kat. I am fairly certain that the rambler predates it. --Tyr Check this one out too!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N75KddNovrs

Kathianne
10-14-2013, 07:10 PM
The Rambler was made by AMC. I had two at different times. They were pretty good cars. AMC made good domestic cars but were always trying to break into the HOT CAR market.

We had a Rambler when I was in kindergarten. The automatic controls were push buttons that lit up green when the lights were on. Pretty cool.

When I hear AMC I think, "Gremlin" pretty ugly car.

Larrymc
10-14-2013, 07:12 PM
My older brother Jessie had a good friend that had one in 1969/70. It was blue and wickedly fast. I was 14/15 back then so never drove it but rode in it a couple dozen times. I was never at the races they did out by the airport but heard the car won a great many races. Not sure of any modifications that George Earl did to it but do know he made it a bit faster. Guy was a great mechanic and knew cars upside down and inside out like nobody's business. Click on the link to see a beautiful car...-TyrNice ride in deed.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Man check this out!! Man, what memories it brings!!! --Tyr http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmnhIG3C4lw or this!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpOkwFzCjPE

Gaffer
10-14-2013, 07:21 PM
We had a Rambler when I was in kindergarten. The automatic controls were push buttons that lit up green when the lights were on. Pretty cool.

When I hear AMC I think, "Gremlin" pretty ugly car.

AMC made the ramblers and I remember those push button transmissions too. A friend of mine had one. The first car I owned was a rambler. I had been home a few weeks from Vietnam and bought it to get back and forth from Ft Ord to my parents house. A week after I bought it I got hit by a guy in a stolen car running a red light while being chased by the CHP. My car looked like a U after the accident but I was unhurt. Needless to say the replacement car was a rambler. :thumb:

They also made one called the rebel. Those were pretty good too as I recall. And I did own a gremlin for a while. Those were junk from the get go.

Kathianne
10-14-2013, 07:32 PM
AMC made the ramblers and I remember those push button transmissions too. A friend of mine had one. The first car I owned was a rambler. I had been home a few weeks from Vietnam and bought it to get back and forth from Ft Ord to my parents house. A week after I bought it I got hit by a guy in a stolen car running a red light while being chased by the CHP. My car looked like a U after the accident but I was unhurt. Needless to say the replacement car was a rambler. :thumb:

They also made one called the rebel. Those were pretty good too as I recall. And I did own a gremlin for a while. Those were junk from the get go.

I found our car, 1960:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/01/14/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1960-rambler-custom/

'Dash transmission' which makes sense, since it was on dash! LOL

aboutime
10-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Anyone ever ride in a REAL, 2 seat, Nash Rambler?