PDA

View Full Version : Hey Jim you might want to reconsider your sports allegiance

glockmail
10-14-2013, 08:43 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers and owner Dan Rooney are partnering with the Obama administration to promote the discounted health insurance (http://www.insurancenewsnet.com/aca.aspx) policies that are now available by way of the Affordable Care Act.Mr. Rooney is the Obama administration's former ambassador to Ireland. He will be joined by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, Community College of Allegheny County president Michael T. Murphy, Allegheny County Executive Rich Fitzgerald and retired Steelers players Thursday at Heinz Field.

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/2013/10/07/steelers-dan-rooney-partner-with-obama-administration-on-affordable-care-act-%5Bp-a-401354.html#.Ulv0eBD-u_4

:slap:

jimnyc
10-14-2013, 08:59 AM
http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/2013/10/07/steelers-dan-rooney-partner-with-obama-administration-on-affordable-care-act-%5Bp-a-401354.html#.Ulv0eBD-u_4

:slap:

Yeah, I had a bit of a nauseating feeling when Rooney was made the ambassador to Ireland years back.

My allegiance stops at the coach level, players and the playing field. I used to be a big fan of his Dad's back in the day, but 'ol Art Rooney was a much different character and family man. Dan is still a great owner, but I wish he would take his head out of politics.

glockmail
10-14-2013, 09:04 AM
The money this POS makes from you goes straight into Democrat coffers. You can't say you're 'for the warriors but against the war' here.

jimnyc
10-14-2013, 09:12 AM
The money this POS makes from you goes straight into Democrat coffers. You can't say you're 'for the warriors but against the war' here.

I'm a HUGE football fan and a HUGE Steelers fan. And yes, it pisses me off to know that the team owner gives money to the Democrats. Some things are out of your control though. I'm confident that not every player on the team is a Democrat. Imagine playing for them and knowing the owner does this.

But I'm a fan because of the players, and the games. When I became a fan as a kid, it certainly had nothing to do with ownership of the back office. To me it's all about the game and the players, always was. I wouldn't stop being the fan I am simply because the owner gives money to a political cause I vehemently disagree with. Still remaining a HUGE fan doesn't mean I support him doing so or the cause itself.

jimnyc
10-14-2013, 09:14 AM

And we could both sit here for days talking about how dumb this support is for the ACA. But I think it's a POS decision, not that the owner IS one as you have stated. This man and his family have donated untold millions and millions to children and schools and such in the Pittsburgh area, and 'millions and millions' is putting it lightly. He just happens to be on the wrong side of the political spectrum, IMO.

glockmail
10-14-2013, 09:23 AM
I didn't expect to turn you into a non-fan, but I don't understand the whole hero worship anyway that goes part and parcel with professional sports. It's one thing if you pay ten bucks for a seat and the players make a decent salary. But when seats go for $100 or more and the players are making tens of millions, the whole thing is crap IMO.

It's a game, and nothing hinges on the results except for who gets paid more at the end. That would be sad enough, but now this POS Rooney is using that to further a Democrat agenda.

jimnyc
10-14-2013, 10:00 AM
I didn't expect to turn you into a non-fan, but I don't understand the whole hero worship anyway that goes part and parcel with professional sports. It's one thing if you pay ten bucks for a seat and the players make a decent salary. But when seats go for $100 or more and the players are making tens of millions, the whole thing is crap IMO.

It's a game, and nothing hinges on the results except for who gets paid more at the end. That would be sad enough, but now this POS Rooney is using that to further a Democrat agenda.

Well, you don't exactly see me out running to games non-stop. I think the prices have become unreasonable as well, but it's that way with all pro sports now unfortunately.

I do my best to block out the monster salaries and seat prices. I'm simply an NFL fan when it comes to football, and of course specifically a Steelers fan. It's just something that has followed me from my childhood until today, watching the news, and the stats and then the games - all along following your favorite players and teams, hoping that they win. The prices really don't affect me watching the games on Sundays and reading all about the NFL in the papers and the internet.

Again, I'm of the belief that this is a POS decision and that Rooney doesn't become a "POS person" for his support. No different than if the owner of the Browns were to donate money to a group defending something like the 2nd amendment. I would say that any Democrat leaning fan that would stop being a fan as a result would be an idiot. Fans become fans because of the game and the players, not because of the political stance of an owner.

glockmail
10-14-2013, 11:10 AM
You're in denial. When I was a kid Carlton Fisk (Boston Red Sox) lived on my street. My uncle set up Carl Yazskemski's Ford Dealership after he retired from a 22 year career. These two examples were the stars of the team, but they were regular guys, made reasonable salaries and lived among us, not at all like the prima donnas we see today.

And this guy Rooney is not just a contributor. He bought influence and is a Democrat Party activist.

jimnyc
10-14-2013, 11:41 AM
You're in denial. When I was a kid Carlton Fisk (Boston Red Sox) lived on my street. My uncle set up Carl Yazskemski's Ford Dealership after he retired from a 22 year career. These two examples were the stars of the team, but they were regular guys, made reasonable salaries and lived among us, not at all like the prima donnas we see today.

And this guy Rooney is not just a contributor. He bought influence and is a Democrat Party activist.

I'm perhaps the biggest Steelers fan in the world. I'm also a die hard conservative. With that said, any political leaning that Rooney makes won't affect my political leanings. If an activist, and can't even remotely, in the slightest bit, get someone to hop aboard with a political initiative he stands for, then he fails. Perhaps he CAN get people aboard, people who see advertisements he has paid for and such. I suppose that's possible. But that's why I separate one from the other, and also why I claim to be a Steelers fan, not a fan of their management that barely ever steps in the locker room, let alone on the field.

Either way, so long as the owners and other management continue to draft great players and keep good coaching, then I don't give a crapola what political stances they take.

I'm sure we could do an investigation and find political stances of other owners, coaches and even players. I doubt they're all out of the loop when it comes to our country. But as far as I'm concerned, so long as it's not affecting what is on the field and has nothing to do with the players, it won't ever even come close to changing my love for the team as a whole or who I am a fan of. Imagine if everyone that were in politics were to suddenly get lists of every player, coach and owner, and finds out who supported who, who is registered where and who has donated where? I think it would be dumb for people to start liking or disliking football teams or players because of politics. Politics has fucked up so many things in our country and I hope it never ruins football for us.

glockmail
10-14-2013, 12:07 PM
By supporting your team either through ticket sales or part of the TV audience that drives advertising revenue, you're supporting this POS's profits that he then uses to attack America. This isn't just some guy who votes blindly Democrat. You can't deny that.

jimnyc
10-14-2013, 12:20 PM
By supporting your team either through ticket sales or part of the TV audience that drives advertising revenue, you're supporting this POS's profits that he then uses to attack America. This isn't just some guy who votes blindly Democrat. You can't deny that.

I don't deny it, I simply don't care. It's football, not politics. I don't let politics run my entire life.

Eli Manning, QB for the NY Giants, recently held a large fundraiser for a Democrat mayor in NJ. Should fans of the Giants who are republicans, should they no longer be fans of Eli, or the Giants as a team?

glockmail
10-14-2013, 12:39 PM
No I wouldn't be a fan of Manning, because as a Democrat activist he's proved himself to be a POS. But then again I'm not a pro sports fan.

I do like movies though so my "support" of an actor is a better question to ask. When Alex Baldwin, Democrat activist, wife beater, child abuser and all around POS, played Jack Ryan in Red October it degraded the series IMO. I couldn't take his character seriously. Clint Eastwood, on the other hand, has never made a bad movie. Any movie with Slut Jessica Parker in it I avoid altogether.

jimnyc
10-14-2013, 12:46 PM
No I wouldn't be a fan of Manning, because as a Democrat activist he's proved himself to be a POS. But then again I'm not a pro sports fan.

I do like movies though so my "support" of an actor is a better question to ask. When Alex Baldwin, Democrat activist, wife beater, child abuser and all around POS, played Jack Ryan in Red October it degraded the series IMO. I couldn't take his character seriously. Clint Eastwood, on the other hand, has never made a bad movie. Any movie with Slut Jessica Parker in it I avoid altogether.

I vowed to never have anything to do with Barbara Streisand again, but that was too easy as nothing she is ever involved in matters to me. I was peeved at Bon Jovi for a long time, and still tune out the radio from time to time, but I admittedly still listen. Same with Bruce Springsteen. I won't run out and buy CD's from either, but sometimes the music is good and I just leave a song on. Or I may just piss them off and steal their music! LOL

I won't watch any of the Baldwins, but basically because they all suck to begin with. Same goes for horse face Jessica Parker. Never really did understand her popularity.

Also admittedly, Clint could be best pals with Obama and I'm still watching him, from his originals to current day!

glockmail
10-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Lance Armstrong has been on my shit list since he left his wife and two kids so he could fuck a rock star. Look what happened to him, losing all his Tour De France medals because he's a cheater, and he's still lying about it. I don't know if he's a Democrat or a Republican, that's not the only measure of shit-ness for me.

I do have friends that are Democrats, they still share my belief of self-reliance, they just aren't that interested in politics and simply aren't aware of the lies that the Democrats tell them.

I know one guy who's a die-hard liberal. We worked for the same company for three years and most lunch hours would discuss politics. He'd spin like a top when we'd politely debate. I know the guy hates my guts because of shit he's done behind my back but I refuse to hate him. His wife hates me too and refuses to talk to me. Instead I joke around with him, usually about him stuffing himself, three guests and all their gear in a Subaru while I'm making the same trip in my oversized SUV ('thanks for saving gas so there is more for me'), or "axing" him about the latest Obama scandal. :laugh:

jimnyc
10-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Lance Armstrong has been on my shit list since he left his wife and two kids so he could fuck a rock star. Look what happened to him, losing all his Tour De France medals because he's a cheater, and he's still lying about it. I don't know if he's a Democrat or a Republican, that's not the only measure of shit-ness for me.

I too moved away from Lance. I supported that scumbag based on his own word over the years. I truly believed him when he wrote and was interviewed and he came off as genuine as someone that was being targeted as part of a witch hunt. He fooled me. But I would never be a fan of his ever again. I can overlook someone getting busted with performance enhancing drugs. Not overlook it, but I can still remain a fan I mean, assuming they get back on track, anyway. But Lance's entire career turned into a lie, and how often do you have someone who was a world champ for 7 years straight, in an individual sport. That would be like finding out now that Michael Phelps was using PED's through his career and it was all a lie, and he loses like a million medals.

glockmail
10-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Yeah I was a big fan of Springsteen for a while. I saw the douche in the Music Hall, Boston, in '76 which seats about 300 people. A year later he was playing at stadiums, and I went to several of those. Got several LPs and CDs. I liked his music because it was about survival in the urban jungle and personal redemption, at least that's what I thought at the time. It's disappointing that it was all a lie, but haven't thrown out my inventory yet.

Slut Parker: sex sells, and since she has no talent took that easy route. I've never watched a minute of her "Sex" show and when she showed up on a movie screen with a stupid and misplaced bash at Republicans that ruined the scene for me.

glockmail
10-14-2013, 01:04 PM
I too moved away from Lance. I supported that scumbag based on his own word over the years. I truly believed him when he wrote and was interviewed and he came off as genuine as someone that was being targeted as part of a witch hunt. He fooled me. But I would never be a fan of his ever again. I can overlook someone getting busted with performance enhancing drugs. Not overlook it, but I can still remain a fan I mean, assuming they get back on track, anyway. But Lance's entire career turned into a lie, and how often do you have someone who was a world champ for 7 years straight, in an individual sport. That would be like finding out now that Michael Phelps was using PED's through his career and it was all a lie, and he loses like a million medals.

My point is that I tossed him under the bus when he started fucking someone other than his wife in a public affair. Any man who does that is a POS. I wonder how long he was lying to his wife and two kids before she found out.