PDA

View Full Version : Dumb dog owner

glockmail
10-15-2013, 05:02 AM
A Chihuahua was euthanized after being severely bitten by a larger dog last week at the Tanglewood Park dog park.

The Chihuahua’s owner also was bitten by the female Newfoundland as he removed his dog from the larger dog’s mouth, authorities said Wednesday.
http://rtb-lb-event-us-east.tubemogul.com/rtb/e.png?e=win&aid=hLIPXWnwQRCS7UAy0KmYlw.0&ad=23083496&cp=121502&slot=0&x_price=1.6725&ets=1381831039908&tz=GMT-05%3A00&source=pubmatic&suid=1118921113800734903=&country=US&region=NC&mc=48&ap=0&ut=0&vis=UNKNOWN&site=Y3YWgZJ5FCPNfOuNAux7&bp=1672500&curr=EUR&exr=0.7372&fid=IMxcVYLDBLqkIGYmTxM5&c=4242664&ccurr=USD&cuxr=1.0&a=443164&ca=454308&st=DISPLAY%7CDISPLAY_AUTOPLAY&sh=250&sw=300&rid=4213&mp=165&psk=Y3YWgZJ5FCPNfOuNAux7&dur=-1&metroid=77&countryid=232&postalid=11214&v=1&auth=GvRfVftdZ5RbWOESWk1gGIloSEU&x_r=RLe80g

The park has a separate area for small dogs, with signs marking the areas.

Herminio Ghislandi of Davidson County had brought his two Newfoundlands, Bella and Drubbie, to the dog park.
Ghislandi said Wednesday that his dogs were playing in the large-dog area with other dogs. All the dogs’ owners were nearby, he said.

Ghislandi said he saw a man carrying a small dog in the large-dog area. The man sat down on a bench, still holding the dog, Ghislandi said.
The man eventually put the Chihuahua on the ground. The Chihuahua began crying loudly, and Bella and some other dogs went over to it, Ghislandi said.
Ghislandi said he then saw the man hit Bella on the head.
“I went to see what was happening,” Ghislandi said.
Ghislandi said he didn’t see any wounds on the smalldog, but saw blood on the man’s shirt.

The man then carried his dog back to his vehicle. http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_ffc9e09a-2bc8-11e3-807e-001a4bcf6878.html

jimnyc
10-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Both were, IMO. The Chihuahua should never have been put in with the much larger dogs. A simple stomping or rough housing could kill such a small dog. And if the Newfie had ever been shown to bite before, it shouldn't have been brought to a dog park. But I know that's a stretch as it's not in the story. No dog should be in dog parks, IMO, if they are willing to bite ANY other dog, or person of course.

glockmail
10-15-2013, 08:49 AM
I go to that dog park on occasion with my 21# terrier mix, right into the big dog area and have never had a problem. All the owners I've met have been attentive, except for this guy with the dead chiwawa.

When I brought my Dad he took his 10# lap dog straight to the small dog area and he and I talked through the fence.

Once again it comes down to common sense. Certain dogs have been bred to hunt and others have been bred to sit on laps. The two shouldn't be mixed unless introduced carefully, so each can be trained to accept this unnatural situation.

I'm careful of my dog around small ones as her instinct will kick in. Terriers kill rats and small game and since some of those dogs look like rats...

jimnyc
10-15-2013, 09:03 AM
I go to that dog park on occasion with my 21# terrier mix, right into the big dog area and have never had a problem. All the owners I've met have been attentive, except for this guy with the dead chiwawa.

When I brought my Dad he took his 10# lap dog straight to the small dog area and he and I talked through the fence.

Once again it comes down to common sense. Certain dogs have been bred to hunt and others have been bred to sit on laps. The two shouldn't be mixed unless introduced carefully, so each can be trained to accept this unnatural situation.

I'm careful of my dog around small ones as her instinct will kick in. Terriers kill rats and small game and since some of those dogs look like rats...

No doubt the Chihuahua owner was in the wrong. Under no circumstances do I think he should have been placed in a fenced in area with such huge dogs, and a Newfie has a head larger than a Chihuahua! I just don't think ANY dog who has a propensity to bit should be at a dog park, large or small. If I had a Pit Bull, Rottweiler or a Doberman, and I thought for a moment that it may harm ANY other dog, I wouldn't bring it to such an open park. I would feel horrible if my dog killed another, even if it weren't mine or my dogs fault.

glockmail
10-15-2013, 09:32 AM
You can't hold dog owner's responsible for normal behavior of their dog. It's perfectly normal for a dog to go after rats, squirrels, cats, and other furry animals. It's what they were bred for.

Now a trained attack dog is different, regardless of the breed.

Pitt Bulls and Rottweilers used to be considered great pets to have around children, since they are very protective. I recall a book about a child that wanders off in a department store and the Rottweiler dutifully protects the kid in all the antics. Now they get a bad rap because douchebags train them to be attack dogs.

When I was a kid we had a German Sheppard that the mailman was still afraid of years after she died. That dog followed us kids on long hikes in the woods without adults and made sure that we were all safe. My dad didn't do any special training; it was just her instinct.

WiccanLiberal
10-15-2013, 04:00 PM
I am shocked that a newfie would do this as they are generally quite trustworthy and gentle souls. Unfortunately I would also have to fault the chihuahua owner. No way is it safe to mix dogs of such disparate sizes unless you are totally aware of the character of the dogs involved. Sadly, many owners are not responsible in bringing dogs to a dog park. My Emma was a victim of such irresponsibility. We were at a dog run on the property we were leasing in. Another owner let his amstaff into the run and she attacked Emma - fortunately no physical injury as V4R leaped in and pulled the amstaff off (her owner was not paying attention). However Emma has been shy of other dogs and defensive ever since. I have always had the same view. An owner should be held responsible for their dog and always be aware of what the animal is doing.

Kathianne
10-15-2013, 08:02 PM
I've written about our 'Julia Roberts' my youngest son's dachshund. Now that she's 6 years old, she's mellowed to some degree, her barking at little kids and animals is curtailed to a minute instead of 10. There is no way in heck we'd bring her to a dog park, much less with exercising big dogs! As a rule, chihuahuas are worse. While we love her, we lock her up when small children or other dogs are present. She's never bitten, though all the signs that she would are there, we choose to go with those signs.

One needs to know their dog and those they are interacting with, there is no way to do so at a dog park, something anyone with either an aggressive dog, (like ours) or a timid dog, (the crying chihuahua) should be aware of. While dachshunds need quite a lot of exercise, a dog park isn't really necessary. Walks and playing with are plenty, especially the toy variety.

Chihuahuas are not in need of lots of exercise, indeed letting them out in your own yard a couple times a day is plenty. A 5 minute walk will do as well if no yard is available. They are the perfect studio apartment pet, if one doesn't care for a cat or goldfish.

I too blame the chihuahua owner.

glockmail
10-16-2013, 09:50 AM
My dog doesn't like the park. It's boring for her. Her breeding (and I use that term much differently, since she is a mix of at least 7 terrier breeds and many other breeds) is from working farm dogs, and as such wants to find little animals to kill and bring back to me. She tolerates much larger dogs, as well as cows and horses. She hates walking on a leash since she is not interested in making mileage, but discovering what is in the area.

So her daily exercise routine consists of off-leash walks in the woods and creek area behind my house. Over time I've cleared a path and now our daily routine is just under a mile in dense woods, and of course she walks 3 or more miles for every mile that I walk.