PDA

View Full Version : Dave Ramsey on Obamacare, and the math

jimnyc
10-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Never heard of this guy and still don't know much about him. But he makes sense, put all the liberal and conservative bickering aside and let it all boil down to the math. Here is what he states about the numbers behind the act. This makes an awful lot of sense to me, but 99% of the people won't change their views if the truth hit them in the head like a cinder block. I'm cool in our individual family, as we don't want nothing to do with this shit plan. But we all know by now that ALL of our premiums will increase, regardless of what side you stand on (unless you are an illegal or homeless).

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IsVqOe07cdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tailfins
10-17-2013, 02:44 PM
He's a conservative Christian financial advisor. He essentially gives conservative financial advice with objectives such as how to live debt-free. I wonder if he has mentoned the exemption from Obamacare for those that join a health sharing ministry.

jimnyc
10-17-2013, 02:48 PM
He's a conservative Christian financial advisor. He essentially gives conservative financial advice with objectives such as how to live debt-free. I wonder if he has mentoned the exemption from Obamacare for those that join a heath sharing ministry.

Exemptions aside, I'd rather just see what it WILL cost us, and why. That, and a lot of people that don't even participate will find themselves indirectly ponying up, via their own insurance plans, and perhaps via their employment, and perhaps via consumer costs out there looking to make up for what they lose on the bottom dollar.

aboutime
10-17-2013, 03:35 PM
He's a conservative Christian financial advisor. He essentially gives conservative financial advice with objectives such as how to live debt-free. I wonder if he has mentoned the exemption from Obamacare for those that join a health sharing ministry.

Okay tailfins. You don't like him. JUST IGNORE HIM. Use whatever excuse you like. He wasn't talking to you anyway. He only directs his advice to people who want to hear it, and who may follow it. Rather than staying BROKE, and blaming other people for their lack of intelligence with money.

tailfins
10-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Okay tailfins. You don't like him. JUST IGNORE HIM. Use whatever excuse you like. He wasn't talking to you anyway. He only directs his advice to people who want to hear it, and who may follow it. Rather than staying BROKE, and blaming other people for their lack of intelligence with money.

You should update your eyeglass prescription or enable large fonts on your browser. I didn't say anything against him. It might take a few days to repeal Obamacare. In the mean time individually minimizing the impact might be a good idea. Carefully reading and utilizing exemptions is a good place to start. I found three exemptions that apply to me.

Trigg
10-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Honestly this is a great plan for people with existing conditions and they are probably the ones signing up for it.

Obama was counting on young healthy people with interim/part time jobs signing up to pay for those no couldn't afford cheaper insurance. But, since he made it possible for parent to carry their kids until 25, those people aren't signing up.

Obama needs more healthy YOUNG people to sign up in order to pay for the older/existing condition people. Personally I see this being top heavy, and in the long run I see the gov. forcing all people to buy federal health insurance with the option to buy private insurance.

fj1200
10-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Obama needs more healthy YOUNG people to sign up in order to pay for the older/existing condition people. Personally I see this being top heavy...

That's pretty much the de rigueur of every Federal entitlement. Payroll taxes on the working to pay for the retired, this just happens to force it with the 3-1 price ratio.

aboutime
10-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Honestly this is a great plan for people with existing conditions and they are probably the ones signing up for it.

Obama was counting on young healthy people with interim/part time jobs signing up to pay for those no couldn't afford cheaper insurance. But, since he made it possible for parent to carry their kids until 25, those people aren't signing up.

Obama needs more healthy YOUNG people to sign up in order to pay for the older/existing condition people. Personally I see this being top heavy, and in the long run I see the gov. forcing all people to buy federal health insurance with the option to buy private insurance.

Trigg. Everyone should take note about that ONE word..."forcing". Which is unconstitutional from the GET-GO.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Never heard of this guy and still don't know much about him. But he makes sense, put all the liberal and conservative bickering aside and let it all boil down to the math. Here is what he states about the numbers behind the act. This makes an awful lot of sense to me, but 99% of the people won't change their views if the truth hit them in the head like a cinder block. I'm cool in our individual family, as we don't want nothing to do with this shit plan. But we all know by now that ALL of our premiums will increase, regardless of what side you stand on (unless you are an illegal or homeless).

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IsVqOe07cdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Man, Jim you never heard of him!! That dude is as sharp as a scalpel !!!! I've been listening to him for a long time now. -Tyr

jimnyc
10-17-2013, 06:07 PM
So many on the left will ignore people like Dave here, even when things are put in the simplest of terms. And that's why things like this are ignored and not spoken about on the news, as it's hard to prove simple math wrong.

fj1200
10-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Man, Jim you never heard of him!! That dude is as sharp as a scalpel !!!! I've been listening to him for a long time now. -Tyr

Just take his investing advice with a grain of salt.

Save like Dave Ramsey...just don't invest like him (http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/01/pf/dave-ramsey.moneymag/)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-17-2013, 09:36 PM

Save like Dave Ramsey...just don't invest like him (http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/01/pf/dave-ramsey.moneymag/) Dude is dead on when speaking of how to save. Also on how to dig yourself out of a financial hole... If he was that sharp in the investment game he'd be a billionaire for sure. Since he is not a billionaire I agree with you on that..-:beer:.. Still, the guy gives absolutely brilliant advice on the other. -Tyr

fj1200
10-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Dude is dead on when speaking of how to save. Also on how to dig yourself out of a financial hole... If he was that sharp in the investment game he'd be a billionaire for sure. Since he is not a billionaire I agree with you on that..-:beer:.. Still, the guy gives absolutely brilliant advice on the other. -Tyr

No question. His most important aspect of investing is getting people in a position to invest and not necessarily what happens after so I don't give too much grief on that.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-17-2013, 11:28 PM
No question. His most important aspect of investing is getting people in a position to invest and not necessarily what happens after so I don't give too much grief on that. Alas, if only I had discovered him in my younger very productive years when I blew loads of cash on good liquor ,fast cars and even faster women! :laugh: The regrets of a wild and misspent youth. Of course having had a second ex-wife that took me to the cleaners 21 years after the first wife did the same didn't help.;)--Tyr

tailfins
10-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Alas, if only I had discovered him in my younger very productive years when I blew loads of cash on good liquor ,fast cars and even faster women! :laugh: The regrets of a wild and misspent youth. Of course having had a second ex-wife that took me to the cleaners 21 years after the first wife did the same didn't help.;)--Tyr

You owe it to younger generations to help them avoid the same mistake. Even though darkening my doorstep would get them arrested, I'm grateful I saw my much older half-sisters take men to the cleaners. I made darn sure not to let happen to me what happened to you. Marry safe!

aboutime
10-18-2013, 01:48 PM

Save like Dave Ramsey...just don't invest like him (http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/01/pf/dave-ramsey.moneymag/)

fj. That kind of advice is like you telling a little boy
"It's okay to pick your nose. Think ahead, and save it for your next meal."