PDA

View Full Version : Obamacare woes widen as insurers get wrong data

Little-Acorn
10-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Why don't the newspapers just write an article about the things Obamacare has gotten right?

It would be a lot shorter. Save the trees.

----------------------------------

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/obamacare-woes-widen-as-insurers-get-wrong-data-2013-10-18

Obamacare woes widen as insurers get wrong data

By Christopher Weaver and Louise Radnofsky
Oct. 18, 2013, 1:08 a.m. EDT

Insurers say the federal health-care marketplace is generating flawed data that is straining their ability to handle even the trickle of enrollees who have gotten through so far, in a sign that technological problems extend further than the website traffic and software issues already identified.

Emerging errors include duplicate enrollments, spouses reported as children, missing data fields and suspect eligibility determinations, say executives at more than a dozen health plans. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Nebraska said it had to hire temporary workers to contact new customers directly to resolve inaccuracies in submissions. Medical Mutual of Ohio said one customer had successfully signed up for three of its plans.

The flaws could do lasting damage to the law if customers are deterred from signing up or mistakenly believe they have obtained coverage.

Trinity
10-18-2013, 06:16 PM
I got one thing to say to this.....

If online sign up is the only option....... lmao this is going to become a nightmare....out of 30 calls a day 4 of those calls actually have a clue on how to use a computer...the rest are lost balls in high weeds. A password reset call should take about 3 minutes max....most of them take 15 to 30 minutes....because I have to give them a mini lesson on............ NO you do not need to turn on caps lock for the one capitol letter you are entering you can hold the shift key down then when you let go, you go right back to lower case........OMG just shoot me now................yeah it's been one of those days!

jimnyc
10-18-2013, 06:29 PM
I read earlier that a portion of the software was open source (freebie). All that is necessary in that licensing agreement is to simply leave the credit on the software to show copyright. Nope, they removed it. It's not that big of a deal, but WHY remove it if it's not that big of a deal? Sounds like some idiots tossed a piece meal website together based on freely available scripts.

Larrymc
10-18-2013, 07:17 PM

If online sign up is the only option....... lmao this is going to become a nightmare....out of 30 calls a day 4 of those calls actually have a clue on how to use a computer...the rest are lost balls in high weeds. A password reset call should take about 3 minutes max....most of them take 15 to 30 minutes....because I have to give them a mini lesson on............ NO you do not need to turn on caps lock for the one capitol letter you are entering you can hold the shift key down then when you let go, you go right back to lower case........OMG just shoot me now................yeah it's been one of those days!Well hay can't say you didn't try, LOL

Kathianne
10-18-2013, 11:02 PM
I read earlier that a portion of the software was open source (freebie). All that is necessary in that licensing agreement is to simply leave the credit on the software to show copyright. Nope, they removed it. It's not that big of a deal, but WHY remove it if it's not that big of a deal? Sounds like some idiots tossed a piece meal website together based on freely available scripts.

I posted on this on another thread, the open source copyright holder is suing, thus the taxpayer is likely going to pick up more than the over half billion plus already paid to this Canadian company to set this boondoggle up.

Gaffer
10-19-2013, 04:15 AM
I'm trying to get my head around this. A Canadian company is given a no bid contract to make a program for the US govt that is freeware and they are paid over half a billion dollars to create it. Color me shocked and awed.

Nothing to see here folks, just another phony scandal - jay carney, aka opie, aka mouth of Sauran

Kathianne
10-19-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm trying to get my head around this. A Canadian company is given a no bid contract to make a program for the US govt that is freeware and they are paid over half a billion dollars to create it. Color me shocked and awed.

Nothing to see here folks, just another phony scandal - jay carney, aka opie, aka mouth of Sauran

What the Canadian Company was hired to do was set up the computer hardware and software for Obamacare-the exchanges in other words.

Seems along the line, they used some open source freeware program, actually having to delete the credit from what I've read. It was copyrighted, thus the suit.

aboutime
10-19-2013, 01:50 PM
We all know how bad Obamacare is, and how it will eventually destroy us all.

So. Take a listen. It might brighten up your day....if only for a few minutes.

http://youtu.be/xEYFFiEnUjQ

KitchenKitten99
10-19-2013, 05:42 PM

If online sign up is the only option....... lmao this is going to become a nightmare....out of 30 calls a day 4 of those calls actually have a clue on how to use a computer...the rest are lost balls in high weeds. A password reset call should take about 3 minutes max....most of them take 15 to 30 minutes....because I have to give them a mini lesson on............ NO you do not need to turn on caps lock for the one capitol letter you are entering you can hold the shift key down then when you let go, you go right back to lower case........OMG just shoot me now................yeah it's been one of those days!

I used to do online/email mortgage customer service support for a MAJOR banking institution that is nationally known. This was probably about 10 years ago.

Back then it was a little more expected to have many people on the phone, still unsure how to work the website because online banking and anything online that is financial, was still a bit new and unfamiliar to people. So I know your pain, but I was more sympathetic back then.

Now...10 years later, if you STILL have issues running a computer...I question your reason for owning one and then having the same silly issues such as you mentioned above. If in this age you cannot effectively operate the internet and computer in general, then you are better off just not owning one at all just to save those on the other end of the phone line of tech support a lot of frustration.

aboutime
10-19-2013, 06:01 PM
I used to do online/email mortgage customer service support for a MAJOR banking institution that is nationally known. This was probably about 10 years ago.

Back then it was a little more expected to have many people on the phone, still unsure how to work the website because online banking and anything online that is financial, was still a bit new and unfamiliar to people. So I know your pain, but I was more sympathetic back then.

Now...10 years later, if you STILL have issues running a computer...I question your reason for owning one and then having the same silly issues such as you mentioned above. If in this age you cannot effectively operate the internet and computer in general, then you are better off just not owning one at all just to save those on the other end of the phone line of tech support a lot of frustration.

Can't disagree with any of what you just said. But I do believe. It tends to prove how much of a disaster our educational system has become. If adults, or new adults are having problems understanding SIMPLE instructions on the phone...while sitting at a keyboard. THAT IS A MAJOR RED FLAG for all of us.
And we wonder why so many Americans are so easily led, and easily convinced to vote for someone who WANTS them to stay POOR, HUNGRY, and DUMB?
( P.H.D. for those who didn't catch it)

KitchenKitten99
10-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Can't disagree with any of what you just said. But I do believe. It tends to prove how much of a disaster our educational system has become. If adults, or new adults are having problems understanding SIMPLE instructions on the phone...while sitting at a keyboard. THAT IS A MAJOR RED FLAG for all of us.
And we wonder why so many Americans are so easily led, and easily convinced to vote for someone who WANTS them to stay POOR, HUNGRY, and DUMB?
( P.H.D. for those who didn't catch it)

You know who I blame part of this on?

Apple.

They marketed to those who weren't smart enough to figure out PC's, which honestly isn't nor wasn't that difficult. Apple dumbed down the computer thus dumbed down half the human population when it comes to basic use.

aboutime
10-19-2013, 08:43 PM
You know who I blame part of this on?

Apple.

They marketed to those who weren't smart enough to figure out PC's, which honestly isn't nor wasn't that difficult. Apple dumbed down the computer thus dumbed down half the human population when it comes to basic use.

In a way. I agree with you. And, we can stretch that Dumbing Down to AOL as well. In fact. AOL probably still has controlling files located in nearly every PC, and LAPTOP here in the USA.
How else could MICROSOFT, and APPLE become so large, and Wealthy on the backs of UNINFORMED, EASILY LED, and CONVINCED dummies?

tailfins
10-20-2013, 01:58 PM
In a way. I agree with you. And, we can stretch that Dumbing Down to AOL as well. In fact. AOL probably still has controlling files located in nearly every PC, and LAPTOP here in the USA.
How else could MICROSOFT, and APPLE become so large, and Wealthy on the backs of UNINFORMED, EASILY LED, and CONVINCED dummies?

Microsoft has tools for serious IT skills. Get back to me when you master Visual Studio. There's three software venues: Mac, Open Source and Microsoft. Am I missing any? If you are going to get on the field, you need to choose one of the three.

KitchenKitten99
10-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Microsoft has tools for serious IT skills. Get back to me when you master Visual Studio. There's three software venues: Mac, Open Source and Microsoft. Am I missing any? If you are going to get on the field, you need to choose one of the three.

My beef is that Apple has convinced those who buy their products that their software is practically invincible.

I refuse to buy into that idea, nor own a product from a company that says things like that. I usually remind Apple-heads that the Titanic was also supposed to be unsinkable too...

KitchenKitten99
10-20-2013, 02:45 PM

I was fortunate enough in my youth to have a family member (grandpa Larry, the Gardenhire-doppelganger) who LOVES computers and technology. He had home computers before they were cool, upgrading his machines every other year or so. Being I am the oldest grandchild, his first, I spent many hours with him monkeying around with the machines. I have a good basic working knowledge of them and could run pretty much any program at the age of 9 (1989), and was working Windows 3.1 pretty well at about 12/13. The schools still had Apple/Macintosh machines but they were mostly used for typing and word processing classes. At that point it seemed the only thing the Macintosh II machines were good for was the early versions of SimCity and Oregon Trail in school.

Still... I think PC's are even easier to use now than before. Although I am a bit perplexed by Windows 8 yet, mostly because I have spent all of maybe 10 minutes using it on demo computers at the store. I'll eventually figure it out but for now I am perfectly content with Windows 7 on my 3yo Dell machine. I can't afford to upgrade and really don't need to right now.

aboutime
10-20-2013, 03:00 PM

tailfins. Kindly let us all know when THIS THREAD became a competition, of your making for IT skills?

Get back to us when you have any idea who you are trying to impress...other than yourself.

tailfins
10-20-2013, 03:39 PM
tailfins. Kindly let us all know when THIS THREAD became a competition, of your making for IT skills?

Get back to us when you have any idea who you are trying to impress...other than yourself.

Bad advice that leads people into poverty bothers me. The MAC approach is dumbed down. The Open Source approach is used by tightwad organizations because it's ostensibly "free". If an organization is tightwad enough to suffer with "free" problem laden software engineering software, they will also be tightwad on your pay rate. This relates to the OP because it exposes extreme greed. Soak the government, then use a painful, cheapskate non-functional approach for the agreed to deliverable. That leaves the Microsoft approach by default.

aboutime
10-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Bad advice that leads people into poverty bothers me. The MAC approach is dumbed down. The Open Source approach is used by tightwad organizations because it's ostensibly "free". If an organization is tightwad enough to suffer with "free" problem laden software engineering software, they will also be tightwad on your pay rate. This relates to the OP because it exposes extreme greed. Soak the government, then use a painful, cheapskate non-functional approach for the agreed to deliverable. That leaves the Microsoft approach by default.

tailfins. Would you like to ANSWER my question without presenting another tirade that doesn't apply to the subject?

red states rule
10-25-2013, 04:51 AM
http://www.politifake.org/image/political/small/1310/repeal-the-obamacare-tax-now-first-told-them-they-could-keep-politics-1381100815.jpg