PDA

View Full Version : UK Prisons - Forced Islamic Conversion

Drummond
10-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Here's one for Jafar to try to explain, in terms of Islam ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britains-prisons-facing-growing-problem-of-forced-conversion-to-islam-officers-warn-8892645.html

British prisoners are increasingly being forced to convert to Islam by their fellow inmates, the prison officers’ union has warned.

Muslim gangs are growing in power and influence among prisoners, and there are concerns that they are targeting vulnerable new arrivals – making prisons a breeding ground for extremism.

“It is a concern, and there’s been clear evidence from a variety of different incidents. Young men are being targeted and then coerced into converting to Islam,” the association’s general secretary, Steve Gillan, told Sky News.

One woman, whose brother is being bullied by a gang trying to force him to convert, told the broadcaster: “He just looks like a broken man ... he's tearful on visits. I'm just really scared for him. He's been physically assaulted. He's had black eyes. In the showers, he got threatened with a knife. He's not going to back down. He's not going to convert for anyone.”

Joe Chapman, a former prison officer who now acts as a prison law consultant, said he thought the situation was deteriorating.

“I think it could be a huge problem. Previously I'd probably only worked in about a dozen or so prisons as an officer, but this job takes me to 40 or 50 over the year, throughout the country. It's become obvious to me that it's a growing problem.

“About half a dozen of my clients have directly reported problems with being forced to convert ... those that weren't Muslim when they came in and those that were and have been forced to look at more radical ideas about their faith.”

The former Home Secretary Lord Reid told Sky News that the sense of protection of being in a gang made them appealing to new arrivals, and described jail as “a very, very fertile ground for recruitment and proselytization and radicalisation”.

jafar00
10-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Um... so if they acknowledge there is a problem, why not bring in someone to set them straight rather than leaving prisoners alone to form gangs in prison?

That's a bit of a no brainer right?

Jeff
10-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Um... so if they acknowledge there is a problem, why not bring in someone to set them straight rather than leaving prisoners alone to form gangs in prison?

That's a bit of a no brainer right?

I agree with ya Jafar but like here in the states I watch these lock down shows and they show how the gangs basically do as they please, they have ways of communicating with other gang members so many different ways, I guess when all they have to do is think about ways to out wit the guards it is hard on the Guards and makes it very hard to just shut them down

jafar00
10-21-2013, 02:13 PM
I agree with ya Jafar but like here in the states I watch these lock down shows and they show how the gangs basically do as they please, they have ways of communicating with other gang members so many different ways, I guess when all they have to do is think about ways to out wit the guards it is hard on the Guards and makes it very hard to just shut them down

I'd suggest getting better guards ;)

darin
10-24-2013, 09:40 AM
I'd suggest getting better guards ;)

And better Imams; those who won't pervert Islam into what it's become to millions: A religion of bullies.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-24-2013, 10:26 AM
And better Imams; those who won't pervert Islam into what it's become to millions: A religion of bullies. I agree but the true number is many tens of millions. How moderate Islam can be is in the hands of its religious leaders and for decades now they have been taking it to ever increasing radical extremes. A big part of this is because those religious leaders believe creating the World Islamic Caliphate will bring about their prophesied magic IMAM. The ONE that will force Islam as the world's only religion. How to change that is if its even possible an unsolved mystery. Obvious that Islam will never take any such action. And to force such action would mean war from outside forces on Islam! Exactly what all parties are trying to avoid , well all parties except Islam that is. -Tyr

jimnyc
10-24-2013, 12:22 PM
I've seen documentaries that show how gangs can not only run the show within prisons, but are able to outwit the guards AND run things between multiple prisons. They are able to call for hits still, outside the prison and in other prisons.

Let the prisoners have the right to pray in their cells, or to have a Holy book - but get rid of any type of 'organized' religion within the jails. Half the problem would be solved right there. And don't whine about their rights, as I believe they lost them when they walked into their cells.

Gaffer
10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I worked in a maximum security prison for two and a half years. When the inmates are out of their cells and mixing with each other they can get up to all sorts of mischief. Except for the blocks that are in full time lock down the inmates have plenty of opportunity to form gangs and abuse other prisoners. There are a limited number of guards to keep tabs on all of them.

Many of the inmates like to play what I call the get over game. They try to manipulate a guard in some way. It can be as simple as letting him get by with some small infraction or bribing them. They test each and every guard and look for weaknesses. Those that are malleable they use, those that are tough they take note of and watch themselves around them.

These muslims are taking advantage of the system to recruit. And they ain't recruiting jafar types in the prison. Prisons are a closed society and anything like tis going on can be shut down quickly enough if the prison officials really want too. I think someone needs to look at whose running the prisons there.