PDA

View Full Version : After Kenya shopping mall massacre, Interpol chief ponders "Armed Citizenry"

Little-Acorn
10-21-2013, 08:40 PM
An oft-repeated saying is that "A conservative is a liberal who just got mugged".

But when an entire populace of law-abiding people are disarmed, and then bad guys kill 67 of them over a period of days in a supposed "gun-free zone" like a shopping mall... that whole populace might become conservative, in one big hurry. And for good reason: They now know that anti-gun laws aren't obeyed by lawbreakers, no matter how much the do-gooders wanted the crooks to obey them.

And when the populace becomes conservative, even the politicians and police forces start to slide that way, however reluctantly.

Genuine conservatives have been making the case for decades, that a society where law-abiding citizens are free to carry guns if they so choose, is a safer society than one where only lawbreakers can carry guns.

Using logic, facts, and The Law of the Land has had little effect on curbing the abuses by leftists and other such gun-rights haters.

Looks like the only way they will start to see the writing on the wall, is if a lot of them get murdered.

Their choice.

---------------------------------------------

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/exclusive-westgate-interpol-chief-ponders-armed-citizenry/story?id=20637341

Exclusive: After Westgate, Interpol Chief Ponders 'Armed Citizenry'

Oct. 21, 2013
By JOSH MARGOLIN

Interpol Secretary General Ronald Noble said today the U.S. and the rest of the democratic world is at a security crossroads in the wake of last month's deadly al-Shabab attack at a shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya – and suggested an answer could be in arming civilians.

In an exclusive interview with ABC News, Noble said there are really only two choices for protecting open societies from attacks like the one on Westgate mall where so-called "soft targets" are hit: either create secure perimeters around the locations or allow civilians to carry their own guns to protect themselves.

"Societies have to think about how they're going to approach the problem," Noble said. "One is to say we want an armed citizenry; you can see the reason for that. Another is to say the enclaves are so secure that in order to get into the soft target you're going to have to pass through extraordinary security."

The secretary general, an American who previously headed up all law enforcement for the U.S. Treasury Department, told reporters during a brief news conference that the Westgate mall attack marks what has long been seen as "an evolution in terrorism." Instead of targets like the Pentagon and World Trade Center that now have far more security since 9/11, attackers are focusing on sites with little security that attract large numbers of people.

At least 67 were killed over a period of days at the Westgate mall, more than 60 of the dead were civilians. The Somalia-based al Qaeda-allied terror group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack as it was ongoing but investigators are still trying to determine exactly who planned the strike, where they are and what is next for them. U.S. authorities in Uganda, fearing another similar incident in Africa, issued a warning late last week.

"Ask yourself: If that was Denver, Col., if that was Texas, would those guys have been able to spend hours, days, shooting people randomly?" Noble said, referring to states with pro-gun traditions. "What I'm saying is it makes police around the world question their views on gun control. It makes citizens question their views on gun control. You have to ask yourself, 'Is an armed citizenry more necessary now than it was in the past with an evolving threat of terrorism?' This is something that has to be discussed."

Kathianne
10-21-2013, 09:09 PM
The founders understood the concept of defending oneself and ones property. Yep, world could learn that lesson.

aboutime
10-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Obama and company must be pretty darned angry about now.

That G.D. Constitution, and the 2nd Amendment idea being discussed, imagined, or possibly instituted in KENYA has got to be an Obama Worst Nightmare.

Imagine such an idea spreading around the World where people of other nations actually get to DEFEND themselves by having more than just a sharp object in their hand????

What is this World coming to????

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-21-2013, 09:47 PM
My father and grandfather both taught we male children that a man is obligated to have and know how to use guns effectively. That depending on the police that are not where you are is folly. One of a man's primary responsibility is the defense of himself and that of those he loves! So now some big shot finally states what I learned at 6 years old, 53 years ago, big whoop. Yet the world has to relearn such a simple concept shows how gullible and lazy minded most people are. I will not be disarmed! --Tyr

Kathianne
10-21-2013, 10:11 PM
My father and grandfather both taught we male children that a man is obligated to have and know how to use guns effectively. That depending on the police that are not where you are is folly. One of a man's primary responsibility is the defense of himself and that of those he loves! So now some big shot finally states what I learned at 6 years old, 53 years ago, big whoop. Yet the world has to relearn such a simple concept shows how gullible and lazy minded most people are. I will not be disarmed! --Tyr

If they actually learned it, would be a big whoop.

gabosaurus
10-21-2013, 10:24 PM

I am sure my husband would gladly defend me in the event of a break in. Except that I am better shot than he is. :laugh:

jafar00
10-21-2013, 10:31 PM
I already get annoyed lugging a phone around. There is no way I would add a gun as well.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-22-2013, 08:47 AM
I already get annoyed lugging a phone around. There is no way I would add a gun as well. Perhaps you are thinking of rifles and shotguns because pistols are not heavy and carrying one in a good holster at times one never notices it is even there. I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it. The bad guys don't complain about "lugging" a gun around! --Tyr

aboutime
10-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Perhaps you are thinking of rifles and shotguns because pistols are not heavy and carrying one in a good holster at times one never notices it is even there. I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it. The bad guys don't complain about "lugging" a gun around! --Tyr

Tyr. Never heard of a Cell-phone that was capable of stopping anyone from attacking, or robbing anyone. If someone complains about carrying anything that would save their life in a pinch.

I say. Let them have their way. Sing, beg, and cry as much as possible to appease your attacker.

jafar00
10-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Perhaps you are thinking of rifles and shotguns because pistols are not heavy and carrying one in a good holster at times one never notices it is even there. I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it. The bad guys don't complain about "lugging" a gun around! --Tyr

I have enough to check when going out thanks without ... "Phone, Wallet, Keys...... grenade launcher..."

I've never been in a situation where I felt I would need a weapon of any kind just to feel safe. Your society is in a pretty sad state of affairs if you need to carry weapons when you pop down the shops for a bottle of milk.

aboutime
10-22-2013, 10:00 PM
I have enough to check when going out thanks without ... "Phone, Wallet, Keys...... grenade launcher..."

I've never been in a situation where I felt I would need a weapon of any kind just to feel safe. Your society is in a pretty sad state of affairs if you need to carry weapons when you pop down the shops for a bottle of milk.

There you go again jafar. Always attempting to DISTRACT, and REDIRECT attention away from your own WONDERFUL situation down there in OZ.
You really are convinced ALL OF US absolutely believe you????

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-22-2013, 10:13 PM

I've never been in a situation where I felt I would need a weapon of any kind just to feel safe. Your society is in a pretty sad state of affairs if you need to carry weapons when you pop down the shops for a bottle of milk. I have no problem with you go about your day feeling safe there in OZ. IGNORANCE IS BLISS AS THEY SAY. I say if you believe you live in a great and peaceful paradise more power to you. However when I oat the reality there in OZ I see a different story. I see crime and assault but hey if you never see it , ride that wagon amigo.. -Tyr

jafar00
10-23-2013, 02:15 PM
I have no problem with you go about your day feeling safe there in OZ. IGNORANCE IS BLISS AS THEY SAY. I say if you believe you live in a great and peaceful paradise more power to you. However when I oat the reality there in OZ I see a different story. I see crime and assault but hey if you never see it , ride that wagon amigo.. -Tyr

Sure there are bad people and crimes committed. Most of time, the victim here is "known to Police". If you involve yourself in a seedy underworld, you should be prepared for someone to try and "whack" you.