PDA

View Full Version : Federal Workers Make Out Again At Taxpayer Expense

red states rule
10-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Point one - Some overworked and underpaid Federal Workers may be able to keep their unemployment benefits they received during the shutdown, Also, I thought those applying for benefits had to be looking for a job

Point two - Why the hell do we have 800,000 NON ESSENTIAL workers?

Taxpayers are getting screwed over big time by these people

Some furloughed federal workers may double dip

Several states are expected to allow federal workers who collected unemployment insurance during the government shutdown to keep both those benefits and the back pay they're set to receive, according to the Labor Department.

Their decisions may add at least a few million dollars more to the shutdown's still-untallied costs to taxpayers. Those include billions of dollars in federal workers' lost productivity as well as lost fee income and other revenue from government services and functions that weren't performed. The shutdown's cost to the U.S. economy is even bigger -- as much as $24 billion in the October-December period, economists estimate,

About 400,000 federal employees were furloughed during the 16-day shutdown. The legislation that reopened the government last week provides retroactive pay for the furloughed workers.

Some workers applied for, and received, jobless benefits for the period they were on furlough. The Labor Department plans to issue guidance this week that likely will require most states to recoup that money because the workers will also get their normal pay for the hiatus.

But laws in several states probably will allow workers to double-dip. The Labor Department was not able to provide an estimate of how many states on Friday.

In Oregon, for example, a rule permits furloughed employees to apply for jobless benefits if it's not certain that they will receive back pay and there's no set date for their return to work, says Tom Fuller, a spokesman for the Oregon Employment Department.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/10/19/federal-workers-shutdown-back-pay/3020525/

red states rule
10-25-2013, 03:49 AM
Is anyone shedding any tears for these poor Federal workers who are so abused, overworked, and underpaid?

Oh wait - many are double dipping and profiting off the partial shutdown.

It’s real, but it’s not a windfall — and it may be unavoidable. The Washington Post points out one bizarre consequence of the federal shutdown (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/10/23/some-federal-workers-may-get-extra-money-for-not-working-the-shutdown/) — some federal workers will end up with extra cash because of it. The “bonus” isn’t high, and it’s not widespread, but some of those who applied for jobless benefits won’t be forced to return the money after getting their back pay. Oregon is among the states that have no clawback provisions for this scenario:

Thousands of federal employees across the country received jobless benefits during the government shutdown this month. Now that they’re getting back pay, many are being told to give it back. But at least some won’t have to.

In Oregon, fewer than 1,500 furloughed federal employees received unemployment insurance benefits during the 16-day government shutdown. That money is theirs to keep if they want, even if they collect back pay from the federal government, the state’s Employment Department wrote on its Web site (http://www.oregon.gov/EMPLOY/Pages/Furloughed-Federal-Employees-FAQ.aspx).

“Oregon law does not permit UI benefits to be recovered in these circumstances,” the statement reads. “Oregon law provides that if a worker is entitled to receive UI benefits and then receives back pay, the worker is still entitled to the UI benefits. This applies to all workers regardless of whether they worked for the government.”

Oregon is a standout among states that are now weighing in on the issue. Several are in the process of notifying furloughed workers who got benefits that they need to repay the money. Idaho, for example, plans to send letters out Wednesday.
Four other states intend to get the money back, but only Washington has a plan to take it back involuntarily. They want federal agencies to impound part of the workers’ paychecks to reimburse the state for the payments, but that’s not yet settled.

Otherwise, the states can do little except to send letters demanding repayment, at least for now, and even that may take a while. States have to identify the workers and the money owed, the total of which varies widely from state to state. Washington is out $500,000, while Illinois spent $230,000, and Virginia only $65,000. Those figures might have some states balking at enforcement and collections, as the cost (especially in the public sector) might exceed the amounts they hope to recover.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/10/23/some-federal-workers-to-get-bonus-for-not-working-during-the-shutdown/

red states rule
10-25-2013, 06:46 AM
and do not forget the "Best of" awards for the best examples of Federal workers

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/vofWkCJvbDo/maxresdefault.jpg

aboutime
10-25-2013, 02:38 PM
What we must not forget is. The majority of Federal Workers we are now calling 'double-dippers', or other names we like....They...a large majority of them, are fellow Americans, just like us.
Through no fault of their own. They found Federal jobs to support their families, pay their bills, and live like the rest of us.

If any blame, or scorn is directed at them. We must first remember...THE POLITICIANS, like Obama, and CONGRESS are...the people responsible for the IMMENSE Size of Government.

Any of us here. Now making a BLANKET statement about Federal Workers by calling them names. Should remember.

ANY ONE, or MORE of us on this forum Might, or Could also be Federal Workers who needed A JOB.
So. Using that blanket statement as it was. Is similar to what we all hear so often, like ALL BLACK PEOPLE, or ALL WHITE PEOPLE.

I'm not defending them. But. We have to be realistic, and not lower ourselves to such levels. IS ALL I AM SAYING.

red states rule
10-26-2013, 05:18 AM
What we must not forget is. The majority of Federal Workers we are now calling 'double-dippers', or other names we like....They...a large majority of them, are fellow Americans, just like us.
Through no fault of their own. They found Federal jobs to support their families, pay their bills, and live like the rest of us.

If any blame, or scorn is directed at them. We must first remember...THE POLITICIANS, like Obama, and CONGRESS are...the people responsible for the IMMENSE Size of Government.

Any of us here. Now making a BLANKET statement about Federal Workers by calling them names. Should remember.

ANY ONE, or MORE of us on this forum Might, or Could also be Federal Workers who needed A JOB.
So. Using that blanket statement as it was. Is similar to what we all hear so often, like ALL BLACK PEOPLE, or ALL WHITE PEOPLE.

I'm not defending them. But. We have to be realistic, and not lower ourselves to such levels. IS ALL I AM SAYING.

and most are union members so it is damn near impossible to get rid of them no matter what they do

We the taxpayers are paying for these idiots to make their videos and take their vacations in Las Vegas.

Once again we the producers are seen by the takers as renewable money sources

aboutime
10-26-2013, 02:15 PM
and most are union members so it is damn near impossible to get rid of them no matter what they do

We the taxpayers are paying for these idiots to make their videos and take their vacations in Las Vegas.

Once again we the producers are seen by the takers as renewable money sources

Not disagreeing with you, or anyone else on this topic red states rule. But...I do believe, like anything else. We are unfortunately POINTING that FINGER...or BLANKET statement at ALL OF THEM. And that is just foolish to do, because it makes us sound hypocritical like those who abuse the system. TWO WRONGS...never make a RIGHT.
I happen to know quite a few Federal Employee's who should not be included in that blanket statement. As I said...Like blaming All Black People for the actions of a small number who are dumber that a box of rocks.
Do you see what I mean?
In fact. Federal employee's....like it or not. Are also Members of the Military when you think about it. So, does that blanket statement Include all of them too?

red states rule
10-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Not disagreeing with you, or anyone else on this topic red states rule. But...I do believe, like anything else. We are unfortunately POINTING that FINGER...or BLANKET statement at ALL OF THEM. And that is just foolish to do, because it makes us sound hypocritical like those who abuse the system. TWO WRONGS...never make a RIGHT.
I happen to know quite a few Federal Employee's who should not be included in that blanket statement. As I said...Like blaming All Black People for the actions of a small number who are dumber that a box of rocks.
Do you see what I mean?
In fact. Federal employee's....like it or not. Are also Members of the Military when you think about it. So, does that blanket statement Include all of them too?

Blaming all - no

But it is clear there is a lot of fat that needs to go

Try selling that to the union heads who donate millions to the Dems

aboutime
10-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Blaming all - no

But it is clear there is a lot of fat that needs to go

Try selling that to the union heads who donate millions to the Dems

red states rule. I'm not arguing with you. I agree with you. Singing to the choir on this one.

red states rule
10-26-2013, 02:55 PM
red states rule. I'm not arguing with you. I agree with you. Singing to the choir on this one.

I guess I am waiting for the big government lovers to chime in

That could be a very long wait AT

aboutime
10-26-2013, 02:58 PM
I guess I am waiting for the big government lovers to chime in

That could be a very long wait AT

It will be a very long wait since big govt. lovers have little, if any ability to THINK on their own.

red states rule
11-02-2013, 03:46 AM
and here is another update on those abused and neglected Federal workers. Oh the harsh duties they have to perform and get paid OVERTIME to perform them

Your tax dollars at work folks!!

The latest report from the U.S. Office of Special Council has found some serious waste in the Department of Homeland Security. Shocking! The report (http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/homenews/188950-report-dhs-abusing-overtime-pay) shows a collection of data showing that nearly $8.7 million in overtime pay was spent on employees who were sometimes doing nothing more than watching “sports and entertainment” channels on TV.
According to the government investigator, collecting overtime pay in the DHS is a “long-standing abuse” and has become a “persistent pattern”.

Employees have been able to take advantage of a program known as Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime. This system is meant to be used only for overtime that is not scheduled in advance because law enforcement has such an irregular schedule.

The report has now been sent to members of Congress and the White House in order to try and come up with a revised pay system.

“Such abuse of overtime pay is a violation of the public trust and gross waste of scarce government funds. It is incumbent upon DHS to take effective steps to curb the abuse. It is up to the administration and Congress to develop a revised pay system, if warranted, that ensures fair compensation for employees who are legitimately working overtime,” special council Carolyn Lerner said in a letter accompanying the report.
One example of abuse comes from the Commissioner’s Situation Room in the Customs and Border Protection office in Washington, DC. Apparently employees in that division assigned themselves two extra hours of work 89% of the time.

A whistle-blower said that “employees who ‘work’ overtime frequently watch sports and entertainment channels during their claimed AUO periods, or spend the two additional hours at their duty station relaxing, joking, surfing the internet and taking care of personal matters”.

This apparently has been an ongoing problem since 2008 and clearly the department really hasn’t done much to take care of it. A DHS spokesman said that the acting secretary has ordered a department-wide review of the overtime policy in reaction to this report. With this now going on 5 years, it would be very surprising to see a huge turnaround any time soon. Talk about government waste!

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/heatherginsberg/2013/11/01/dhs-abusing-overtime-pay-n1734530