PDA

View Full Version : US troops kill Afghan police

Rahul
06-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Yet another blunder committed by the US troops. :lame2:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/ap_on_re_as/afghan_violence;_ylt=AsZrYqiRllEvbhCB84PWCKGs0NUE

Officials: U.S. troops kill Afghan police

KABUL, Afghanistan - U.S. forces mistakenly killed seven Afghan police and wounded four in an apparent friendly fire incident early Tuesday in eastern Afghanistan, Afghan officials said.

Police manning a remote checkpoint in Nangarhar province said an American convoy backed by helicopters approached and opened fire despite their protests and calls for them to stop.

"I thought they were Taliban, and we shouted at them to stop, but they came closer and they opened fire," said Khan Mohammad, one of the policemen at the post. "I'm very angry. We are here to protect the Afghan government and help serve the Afghan government, but the Americans have come to kill us."

The commander at the post, Esanullah, who goes by one name, said a helicopter fired rockets, killing seven policemen and wounding four.

A spokeswoman for NATO's International Security Assistance Force said she had no information that U.S. forces that fall under ISAF's command were involved. A spokesman for the separate U.S.-led coalition said he was looking into the report.

There were conflicting reports over how the fighting started

If they can't even choose the right people to take out, the troops really have no business being in a foreign country in the first place.

Mr. P
06-12-2007, 08:31 AM

If they can't even choose the right people to take out, the troops really have no business being in a foreign country in the first place.

Afghan police mistook U.S. troops on a nighttime mission for Taliban fighters and opened fire on them early Tuesday, prompting U.S. forces to return fire and call in attack aircraft. Seven Afghan police were killed.

Looks like the police screwed up to me.

darin
06-12-2007, 09:29 AM

DUDE - YOU Have NO F'ING CLUE. Did you READ the link? I'll show you again, as Mr. P has shown you once:

KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghan police mistook U.S. troops on a nighttime mission for Taliban fighters and opened fire on (U.S. Troops) early Tuesday, prompting U.S. forces to return fire and call in attack aircraft. Seven Afghan police were killed.

Do you see that? Your 'spin' of the incident is nothing more than a LIE.

Monkeybone
06-12-2007, 10:08 AM
yah, i could understand from what you had posted that something was shitty about that, but when you open the link and it says right away that they fired first, how can you blame the US troops?

Rahul
06-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Do you see that? Your 'spin' of the incident is nothing more than a LIE.

My spin is not a lie. Was Khan Mohammad lying too? Do you always spin other's statements as "lies"?

I'm very angry. We are here to protect the Afghan government and help serve the Afghan government, but the Americans have come to kill us."

Nukeman
06-12-2007, 12:55 PM
DUDE - YOU Have NO F'ING CLUE. Did you READ the link? I'll show you again, as Mr. P has shown you once:

Do you see that? Your 'spin' of the incident is nothing more than a LIE.You dont really think you will get a response to the fact that, HE LEFT THE WHOLE FREAKING 1ST SENTENCE OUT, do you!!!

He put his spin on it and hoped noone would actually read what he was posting. Some people are sooooo dense!!!!!!!

LiberalNation
06-12-2007, 12:57 PM
They fired on us. An unfourtanate situation but our troops did the right thing and this in no way proves we should leave.

Nukeman
06-12-2007, 12:58 PM
My spin is not a lie. Was Khan Mohammad lying too? Do you always spin other's statements as "lies"?
Hey numbskull they (the US & Afgahan soldiers) were fired upon first....
They returned fire... this all happens after they were ambushed earlier...
Are you really that dense that you would try to spin this story??? You cant find anything better to bash the US/Afghan soldiers???? look harder

Nukeman
06-12-2007, 12:59 PM
They fired on us. An unfourtanate situation but our troops did the right thing and this in no way proves we should leave.
My God LN I agree with you!!!!!

darin
06-12-2007, 01:00 PM

He's a liar too. If he was there, he KNEW who caused the event to happen. Now he's pandering. IMO, it likely could have been a set-up from the get-go.

nevadamedic
06-12-2007, 01:36 PM
The troops are given orders that if they are fired upon to return fire immediatly. Im sure Gunny can verify that.

darin
06-12-2007, 01:45 PM
The troops are given orders that if they are fired upon to return fire immediatly. Im sure Gunny can verify that.

Which troops? Where? Under what situation?

There are rules of engagement for every operation. There are times units are not or were not allowed to even 'return fire' if taking fire.

nevadamedic
06-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Which troops? Where? Under what situation?

There are rules of engagement for every operation. There are times units are not or were not allowed to even 'return fire' if taking fire.

Over in Iraq I guarantee there are orders to return fire.

Abbey Marie
06-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Rahul, by virtue of this intentionally misleading post, you just lost all credibility. Was it worth it to you?

darin
06-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Over in Iraq I guarantee there are orders to return fire.

No - It would depend upon WHERE in Iraq somebody is. ROE are supported/published by local commands depending on their mission, although many are set at Division-level.

nevadamedic
06-12-2007, 02:06 PM
No - It would depend upon WHERE in Iraq somebody is. ROE are supported/published by local commands depending on their mission, although many are set at Division-level.

There is no way. Our troops are given the ok to defend themselves.

darin
06-12-2007, 02:17 PM
There is no way. Our troops are given the ok to defend themselves.

Yeah - what would I know about the army?

The underlying order for EVERY ROE is "...but the right to self-defense is never denied." However, how one DEFINES 'self-defense' (or defense of a unit) is the problem. Not EVERY guy taking pot-shots at a convoy requires a full-force reaction. Some units are instructed to retreat if engaged. The point I want you to know is this: Things change. Things vary. There are very few all-encompassing rules on the battlefield. Id est, commanders change the orders to reflect the realities around them.

theHawk
06-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Nice blunder on that spin job slapnuts. And you wonder why people neg rep you. You've just proven you are nothing more than a Jihadist fanboy critical of everything the U.S. does. This is our war, if you don't like it, well....no one here gives a shit. :finger3:

Gaffer
06-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Just a reminder to those confused. This took place in afganhistan. The troops fired on were not necessarily American as that was still being determined. There are 50,000 NATO forces in afgan with only 15,000 being American.

Rahul
06-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Nice blunder on that spin job slapnuts.

Your name calling is not required.

And you wonder why people neg rep you.

I don't wonder. I know. The conservatives cannot stand anything remotely anti-war, that is why.

[QUOTE=theHawk;76748
You've just proven you are nothing more than a Jihadist fanboy critical of everything the U.S. does. [/quote]

Address the argument, and not the poster. Why do I have to keep reminding you of this?

Rahul
06-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Rahul, by virtue of this intentionally misleading post, you just lost all credibility. Was it worth it to you?

So, how did I intentionally mislead someone? I quoted an article. What was misleading about it?

Nukeman
06-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Your name calling is not required.

I don't wonder. I know. The conservatives cannot stand anything remotely anti-war, that is why.

Address the argument, and not the poster. Why do I have to keep reminding you of this?You still haven't explained why you misrepresented the whole article???

Could you elaborate on why you left out the part about the NATO and Afghan soldiers being fired upon and solely saying the US military killed 8 Afghan police??:poke:

nevadamedic
06-12-2007, 09:47 PM
You still haven't explained why you misrepresented the whole article???

Could you elaborate on why you left out the part about the NATO and Afghan soldiers being fired upon and solely saying the US military killed 8 Afghan police??:poke:

Probably because that's what he want's to believe.

manu1959
06-12-2007, 09:49 PM

should we remove the police from our cites as well?

Gunny
06-12-2007, 10:35 PM

Do tell us what YOU know about being a troops, engaging in war, or even knowing what the Hell you are talking about.

US troops kill EACH OTHER in exercises here in the US all the time. Accidents happen. As tragic as they are, some nimrod, anti-American who uses a bedsheet for a hat attempting to politicize it is even MORE tragic.

Gunny
06-12-2007, 10:37 PM
should we remove the police from our cites as well?

Somebosy needs to remove this third world piece of crap's computer. Probably got his little sister riding a bike to keep the generator going so he can post his drivel.

Rahul
06-12-2007, 11:14 PM

The article was there for everyone to read. Further, if you are so concerned about the title, perhaps you should take it up with Yahoo News. I merely reported to the Forum as Yahoo news does.

Do tell us what YOU know about being a troops, engaging in war, or even knowing what the Hell you are talking about.

Name a specific instance, and I will advise. Try to stick to the point though, and not indulge in unnecessary name calling.

As tragic as they are, some nimrod, anti-American who uses a bedsheet for a hat attempting to politicize it is even MORE tragic.

Your crass comments are not required.

Abbey Marie
06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
So, how did I intentionally mislead someone? I quoted an article. What was misleading about it?

The title was pejorative and misleading. But you already knew that.

IMO, and many others, the cardinal sin of message board posting is to be intentionally misleading, lie, etc. As you can see here, it not only ruined your credibility, but it impairs honest debate.

Rahul
06-12-2007, 11:32 PM
The title was pejorative and misleading. But you already knew that.

How about Yahoo! News? Did they already know that, too? Or are they not a reliable source either? :)

Abbey Marie
06-12-2007, 11:37 PM
How about Yahoo! News? Did they already know that, too? Or are they not a reliable source either? :)

I have at times pointed out the appalling use of misleading headlines by biased news regurgitators. That is why I am very careful where I get my news, and I look at it skeptically.

The difference is that you left out a key sentence, and you are a member here, engaging in debate. We expect better.

Rahul
06-13-2007, 12:46 AM
The difference is that you left out a key sentence, and you are a member here, engaging in debate. We expect better.

The link to the source was there and the article is avaiable for all to read.

As for expecting better, how about the constant insults flying around the Forum? Are those acceptable in comparision?

SassyLady
06-13-2007, 02:19 AM

Wow Rahul.........if you can't understand that the majority of people on this board are pro-American, then you have no business being here in the first place. :lame2:

However, I can accept that you "blundered" in here by mistake. Hopefully, you'll be able to find your way out with your ass intact, if not your dignity and creditability.
:coffee:

Rahul
06-13-2007, 03:06 AM
Wow Rahul.........if you can't understand that the majority of people on this board are pro-American, then you have no business being here in the first place.

This isn't about the other posters. The topic of the thread was that US troops killed the wrong people. Perhaps you could stick to the topic at hand.

However, I can accept that you "blundered" in here by mistake.

I don't blunder in anywhere and know what I am talking about.

Hopefully, you'll be able to find your way out with your ass intact, if not your dignity and creditability.

Do you have anything at all to offer to the debate?

Nukeman
06-13-2007, 06:36 AM
This isn't about the other posters. The topic of the thread was that US troops killed the wrong people. Perhaps you could stick to the topic at hand.

I don't blunder in anywhere and know what I am talking about.

Do you have anything at all to offer to the debate?
Yet you omitted the fact that they were fired upon first(the police fired 49 of their 50 grenades at the soldiers). You also purposefully left VITAL information out of your version of what happened. Why would you do that if not just to bash the US military...

theHawk
06-13-2007, 08:12 AM

Address the argument, and not the poster. Why do I have to keep reminding you of this?

No, its because you alter the facts.

Do we have to remind YOU of what YOU said?

Yet another blunder committed by the US troops.
So its a blunder when U.S. troops fire back at people launching grenades at them? I know you'd probably like it if the U.S. troops weren't ever allowed to fire back. Maybe you'd like it if they just had to stand there like sitting ducks.

It was obviously a "blunder" by the Afgan police. Can you admit you were wrong? I won't hold my breath.

Think we have every "right" to be in that country, considering they are the ones that directly gave sanctuary to Al Qaeda. Do you honestly think that if someone attacks the U.S. in the manner Al Qaeda did that we wouldn't respond the way we did? Maybe if your country was attacked and thousands killed you'd run and hide like a coward, but not us.

Rahul
06-14-2007, 01:35 AM
No, its because you alter the facts.

What fact have I altered? Provide a quote.

Do we have to remind YOU of what YOU said?

No.

It was obviously a "blunder" by the Afgan police. Can you admit you were wrong? I won't hold my breath.

You don't have to hold your breath. Further, is everyone who doesn't agree with you on this wrong?

Think we have every "right" to be in that country, considering they are the ones that directly gave sanctuary to Al Qaeda.

Saudi Arabia is the country you need to be in, by that yardstick.

Do you honestly think that if someone attacks the U.S. in the manner Al Qaeda did that we wouldn't respond the way we did?

So, what about Bin Laden? Where is he? How'd the hunt suddenly go cold?

theHawk
06-14-2007, 08:04 AM
What fact have I altered? Provide a quote.

Read your whole first post. Omitting facts is ALTERING the truth.

You don't have to hold your breath. Further, is everyone who doesn't agree with you on this wrong?
People who omit facts and spin a story around 180 degrees are wrong.

Saudi Arabia is the country you need to be in, by that yardstick.

Someday we might be.

So, what about Bin Laden? Where is he? How'd the hunt suddenly go cold?

Probably in Pakistan. If we had a Pres with balls we'd bomb the shit out of them too.

Rahul
06-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Read your whole first post. Omitting facts is ALTERING the truth.

I disagree. I posted a snippet, not the whole article but the whole article was there for all to view regardless.

Someday we might be.

Saudi Arabia is a terrorist supporter, but Saddam never supported Terrorists.

Probably in Pakistan.

If we had a Pres with balls we'd bomb the shit out of them too.

I disgree with your proposed actions, but agree that Bin Laden is probably in Pakistan.

darin
06-14-2007, 09:12 AM
I disagree. I posted a snippet, not the whole article but the whole article was there for all to view regardless.

And BEFORE the snippet you posted this:

Yet another blunder committed by the US troops.

AND you didn't just 'post a snippet' you highlighted and colored part of the story which was MOST damning to the USA.

I think it went like this - You found the story on another forum shown exactly as you posted in the OP. I think you didn't even take the TIME to read the story because you got a boner over the fact that the USA could have mistakenly killed somebody in a theater of war.

Instead of owning up to the fact you intentionally skewed the story to paint the USA in a VERY poor light regardless of the actual DETAILS of the event, you now claim innocence. You are transparent, brother.

Rahul
06-14-2007, 12:40 PM
And BEFORE the snippet you posted this:

I haven't denied that.

AND you didn't just 'post a snippet' you highlighted and colored part of the story which was MOST damning to the USA.

The OP was about US soldiers killing Afghanis which is what was highlighted.

I think it went like this - You found the story on another forum shown exactly as you posted in the OP.

Perhaps you could show us which forum I found it on. I have always maintained I found the article on Yahoo! News.

I think you didn't even take the TIME to read the story because you got a boner over the fact that the USA could have mistakenly killed somebody in a theater of war.

Nonsense. I read all the stories I post.

Instead of owning up to the fact you intentionally skewed the story to paint the USA in a VERY poor light regardless of the actual DETAILS of the event, you now claim innocence. You are transparent, brother.

Where did I claim innocence? Further, you are the one who is falsely accusing me with no proof.

darin
06-14-2007, 12:57 PM
The OP was about US soldiers killing Afghanis which is what was highlighted.

Actually - the STORY was about Forces (it was unclear initially if US forces were involved, remember?) You got horny and assumed the US was at fault. Now you're not man enough to correct yourself.

Nonsense. I read all the stories I post.

English not your first language then? If you READ the story, it's worse - that means you WILLINGLY tried to mislead this forum by presenting out-of-context quotes - and piss-poor label of the events as they really happened.

Where did I claim innocence? Further, you are the one who is falsely accusing me with no proof.

You are the proof. Your proof is your bullcrap OP, and your heard-headed replies claiming you did nothing wrong.

Rahul
06-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Actually - the STORY was about Forces (it was unclear initially if US forces were involved, remember?)

The story was about US soldiers killing Afghans, if you remember.

[QUOTE=dmp;77341]
You got horny and assumed the US was at fault.

Vulgarities aren't necessary.

English not your first language then? If you READ the story, it's worse - that means you WILLINGLY tried to mislead this forum by presenting out-of-context quotes - and piss-poor label of the events as they really happened.

I did not try to mislead anyone. If I was trying to do so, I'd never have posted a source. Duh!

Your proof is your bullcrap OP, and your heard-headed replies claiming you did nothing wrong.

Explain what exactly it is you mean when you say "heard-headed".

Kathianne
06-14-2007, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=dmp;77341]Actually - the STORY was about Forces (it was unclear initially if US forces were involved, remember?)

The story was about US soldiers killing Afghans, if you remember.

Vulgarities aren't necessary.

I did not try to mislead anyone. If I was trying to do so, I'd never have posted a source. Duh!

Explain what exactly it is you mean when you say "heard-headed".

Maybe you didn't mean to, but you did. Vulgarities may not have been necessary, but certainly were warranted, because of what you did not mean, occurring. The only reason you misled no one, is because this is a messageboard, and the truth won out.

Rahul
06-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Vulgarities may not have been necessary,

I agree.

but certainly were warranted,

Not.

[
because of what you did not mean, occurring. The only reason you misled no one, is because this is a messageboard, and the truth won out.

I have misled no-body. The article was there for all to see.

Anyway, the US should pull out of Afghanistan and IRaq both as both regions are being hurt more by US occupation than helped.

Nukeman
06-15-2007, 07:23 AM
I have misled no-body. The article was there for all to see. .You did mislead and you did it on purpose how is that you feel you did not mislead because you left a link to the article, you also left out very VITAL information

Anyway, the US should pull out of Afghanistan and IRaq both as both regions are being hurt more by US occupation than helped.Your opinion and only that.

You make a point of always bringing the negative to the table how about you try to find a positive article for once....

Rahul
06-15-2007, 10:05 AM
You make a point of always bringing the negative to the table how about you try to find a positive article for once....

There isn't a single positive aspect of either the occupation in Iraq, or the one in Afghanistan.

Mr. P
06-15-2007, 10:50 AM
There isn't a single positive aspect of either the occupation in Iraq, or the one in Afghanistan.

Not one single thing? You're correct the are many things that are positive.
Before the US went to Afghanistan you had this...

The Taliban, under the direction of Mullah Muhammad Omar, brought about this order through the institution of a very strict interpretation of Sharia, or Islamic law. Public executions and punishments (such as floggings) became regular events at Afghan soccer stadiums. Frivolous activities, like kite-flying, were outlawed. In order to root out "non-Islamic" influence, television, music, and the Internet were banned. Men were required to wear beards, and subjected to beatings if they didn't.

Most shocking to the West was the Taliban's treatment of women. When the Taliban took Kabul, they immediately forbade girls to go to school. Moreover, women were barred from working outside the home, precipitating a crisis in healthcare and education. Women were also prohibited from leaving their home without a male relative—those that did so risked being beaten, even shot, by officers of the "ministry for the protection of virtue and prevention of vice." A woman caught wearing fingernail polish may have had her fingertips chopped off. All this, according to the Taliban, was to safeguard women and their honor. That's no more, pretty positive if you ask me.

The same sort of POSITIVE examples can be found for Iraq. Dumbass.

darin
06-15-2007, 11:16 AM
I have misled no-body. The article was there for all to see.

Right - Because we didn't fall for your lies. You're a liar, dude.

Yurt
06-15-2007, 08:49 PM

The question should be:

what is occupying your brain

You don't even support the taliban way of living, given your avi, yet you spout this

Rahul
06-15-2007, 09:42 PM
You don't even support the taliban way of living, given your avi, yet you spout this

Of course I do not support the Taliban or their ways of living.

However, I am not enthused by the civil war in Iraq, nor the chaos in Afghanistan either, and am least enthused by the motives behind both these invasions.

Gunny
06-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Right - Because we didn't fall for your lies. You're a liar, dude.

:clap::clap::clap:

Gaffer
06-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Of course I do not support the Taliban or their ways of living.

However, I am not enthused by the civil war in Iraq, nor the chaos in Afghanistan either, and am least enthused by the motives behind both these invasions.

Your only enthused about slamming the military and anything that makes the US look bad.

nevadamedic
06-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Your only enthused about slamming the military and anything that makes the US look bad.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Rahul
06-19-2007, 06:12 AM
I see many clapping hands, but not much in the way of an argument from some of the posters. In case you guys did not notice, this is Debate Policy , not a photo gallery.

Anyway, the fact remains that very little, if any, good is coming out of either of the two invasions.

Gunny
06-19-2007, 06:15 AM
I see many clapping hands, but not much in the way of an argument from some of the posters. In case you guys did not notice, this is Debate Policy , not a photo gallery.

Anyway, the fact remains that very little, if any, good is coming out of either of the two invasions.

We've all noticed. Been wondering when YOU are going to and bring out a legitimate argument that isn't full of lies and, anti-American rhetoric, and/or shit.

Rahul
06-19-2007, 06:32 AM
We've all noticed.

There isn't much evidence of that.