PDA

View Full Version : When Is The Press Going To Refer To This As A Civil War?

Kathianne
06-12-2007, 07:26 AM
They were pretty darn quick to do so in Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6744713.stm

Hamas threatens assault on Fatah
Militants from the armed wing of Hamas have threatened attacks on security positions in Gaza belonging to Palestinian rivals Fatah, reports say.

Hamas-run mosques in Gaza City gave Fatah fighters two hours to leave their positions.

New agency reports said Hamas had begun occupying some Fatah positions elsewhere in northern and central Gaza.

The moves followed the deaths of some 16 people on the streets of Gaza in the past 24 hours.

This is despite a ceasefire agreement late on Monday night.

However, the BBC's Tim Franks, in Jerusalem, says that inside Gaza most people are now staying indoors listening to the violence rage outside.

The fighting has been intense and brutal, with few places now safe and people executed as well as caught in gun battles, he adds.

... I know, it would be 'all over' if the Zionists would leave. :cheers2:

diuretic
06-12-2007, 07:28 AM
It's a brutal civil war for sure.

Kathianne
06-12-2007, 08:19 AM
It's a brutal civil war for sure.

and it looks like there might be some resolution coming? Not the best of news, but I suppose inevitable:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians

Grenade fired at home of Palestinian PM

By DIAA HADID, Associated Press Writer 5 minutes ago

A rocket-propelled grenade hit the home of the Hamas prime minister Tuesday, while his fighters captured several positions from the rival Fatah movement and threatened to step up the offensive. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas accused his Hamas rivals of staging a coup and called for a cease-fire.

There were no injuries in the attack on Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh's home — the second in two days. But it underscored the increasingly ruthless nature of the fighting, which has killed 18 people in recent days. Exasperated Egyptian mediators said the bitter rivals turned down an appeal to meet for truce talks.

Heavy gunbattles erupted in what security officials described as a Hamas assault on positions of the Fatah-allied security forces.

Hamas-affiliated radio stations said the group took over security installations in northern and central Gaza, as well as the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis.

Hamas gunmen attacked the headquarters of the security forces in northern Gaza, a key prize in the bloody power struggle between the two sides. About 200 Hamas fighters surrounded the compound, where some 500 Fatah gunmen were holed up, and fired mortars and RPGs at the building in the Jebaliya refugee camp.

Hamas also demanded that Fatah-allied security forces abandon their positions, threatening to attack those who remained.

"The warning which we have given you to surrender has ended, and we will attack this position of Zionist collaborators," Hamas warned over a mosque loudspeaker in Gaza City, shortly before taking up positions near the headquarters of the pro-Fatah Preventive Security Service. Later, there were heavy exchanges of fire.

darin
06-12-2007, 08:59 AM
But that'd remove the LMM's main gripe about the US. If the LMM starts pumping up the 'civil war' issue it removes from at least partial blame or cause the US involvement.

Kathianne
06-12-2007, 09:18 AM
But that'd remove the LMM's main gripe about the US. If the LMM starts pumping up the 'civil war' issue it removes from at least partial blame or cause the US involvement.
Very true. Then there is the little problem of the peaceful people being downtrodden, especially regarding checkpoints and walls against the evil Joos.

Hagbard Celine
06-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Well, my guess would be never since it's not technically a civil war. "Civil War" is defined as war between political factions or regions within the same country. As we all know, Palestine isn't a country. :cool:

Lightning Waltz
06-12-2007, 09:59 AM
They were pretty darn quick to do so in Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6744713.stm

I know, it would be 'all over' if the Zionists would leave. :cheers2:

I heard it referred to on NPR today as a Civil War. Does that count?

Kathianne
06-12-2007, 10:04 AM

Close enough. I guess when the PM says it's a 'coup' even the media must take notice.

Dilloduck
06-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, my guess would be never since it's not technically a civil war. "Civil War" is defined as war between political factions or regions within the same country. As we all know, Palestine isn't a country. :cool:

I've already heard the term "civil war" used but it looks more like a couple of gangs fighting over the power to distribute aid and skim what they want off the top.

Kathianne
06-12-2007, 10:07 AM

or this:

American Heritage Dictionary - civil war." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. 12 Jun. 2007.
civil war
n.

1. A war between factions or regions of the same country.
2. A state of hostility or conflict between elements within an organization: "The broadcaster is in the midst of a civil war that has brought it to the brink of a complete management overhaul" (Bill Powell).
3. Civil War The war in the United States between the Union and the Confederacy from 1861 to 1865. Also called War Between the States.
4. Civil War The war in England between the Parliamentarians and the Royalists from 1642 to 1648.

Hagbard Celine
06-12-2007, 10:11 AM
I've already heard the term "civil war" used but it looks more like a couple of gangs fighting over the power to distribute aid and skim what they want off the top.

Key word being GANGS. These arab f*cks aren't concerned with democracy at all. They're all caught up in they're own little tribal, sectarian bs. It's gangland over there. It always has been and I think it always will be. A land full of cut-throat mirauders. I say f*ck 'em. I keep hearing about a plan to build a wall across the Mexican border--for what? To keep all the cheap labor out of our country? I say build a wall around the f*cking middle east--don't let anyone out for a decade and see how they fare.

Hagbard Celine
06-12-2007, 10:12 AM
or this:

Well Kathianne, that's quite a liberal interpretation of the phrase. ;)

Kathianne
06-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Well Kathianne, that's quite a liberal interpretation of the phrase. ;)

Yeah, American Heritage, the Rolling Stone of the dictionary genre. :cheers2:

nevadamedic
06-12-2007, 11:08 AM

General Colin Powell has reffered to it as a Civil War two days ago.