PDA

View Full Version : No offensive costumes, says Univ. of Colorado

Abbey Marie
10-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Now even college-aged kids have to be protected from potential offenses. :rolleyes:

University of Colorado asks students to stay politically correct this Halloween

Officials at the University of Colorado at Boulder are asking students not to wear stereotypical Halloween costumes that could offend or paint minorities in a negative light.

“If you are planning to celebrate Halloween by dressing up in a costume, consider the impact your costume decision may have on others in the CU community,” Dean of Students Christian Gonzales said in a message to students.

“The CU-Boulder community has in the past witnessed and been impacted by people who dressed in costumes that included blackface or sombreros/serapes; people have also chosen costumes that portray particular cultural identities as overly sexualized, such as geishas, ‘squaws,’ or stereotypical, such as cowboys and Indians,” she continues. “Additionally, some students have also hosted offensively-themed parties that reinforce negative representations of cultures as being associated with poverty (‘ghetto’ or ‘white trash/hillbilly’), or with crime or sex work.

A university spokesman called cowboy costumes a “crude stereotype,” Halloween-costumes-banned-by-US-university.html” target=”_blank”>the U.K.’s Telegraph reported.

The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities has also asked its students to keep their Halloween costumes politically correct.

“Please keep in mind that certain Halloween costumes inappropriately perpetuate racial, cultural, and gender stereotypes,” officials said in a letter, according to the Telegraph.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/24/university-colo-students-pc-halloween-costumes/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS#ixzz2j2dZAWWk

jimnyc
10-28-2013, 02:53 PM
I wish I could go to 20 parties and change costumes multiple times at each one, trying to be as offensive as I possibly could.

Damn people, get a grip! It's halloween and these people need to mellow and let everyone have fun. Unless someone is being dangerous, or maybe wearing something "lewd", then just let them have fun.

Cowboys costumes are now suddenly a "crude stereotype"?

If up to me, I would dress in all black face, as Michael Jackson, after he was dead, holding a small child doll, all the while telling everyone I run into that I would still be alive had Obamacare stepped in and gave me a better doctor.

aboutime
10-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Everyone should understand. If there is a Halloween celebration at the White House.

Obama is the only one who doesn't need to wear a mask! :laugh:

5718 He naturally OFFENDS everyone.

tailfins
10-28-2013, 03:14 PM
To me all Halloween costumes or any commemoration of Halloween in any form is offensive. Why are they not accomodating my sensibilities against ANYTHING that promotes the occult?

jimnyc
10-28-2013, 03:25 PM
To me all Halloween costumes or any commemoration of Halloween in any form is offensive. Why are they not accomodating my sensibilities against ANYTHING that promotes the occult?

I can understand why you would feel that way, but traditional Halloween is nothing more than kids dressing up and candy. I certainly don't see the Halloween I grew up with to be in anyway promoting anything, other than fatness from all of the candy I swallow.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-28-2013, 09:06 PM
I wish I could go to 20 parties and change costumes multiple times at each one, trying to be as offensive as I possibly could.

Damn people, get a grip! It's halloween and these people need to mellow and let everyone have fun. Unless someone is being dangerous, or maybe wearing something "lewd", then just let them have fun.

Cowboys costumes are now suddenly a "crude stereotype"?

If up to me, I would dress in all black face, as Michael Jackson, after he was dead, holding a small child doll, all the while telling everyone I run into that I would still be alive had Obamacare stepped in and gave me a better doctor. ff all those ffing pc sumbiatches all to hell. Cowboys are as American as apple pie and Chevrolet!!! Anybody tell me face to face that cowboy is crude I'll likely knock their ass out.. GD ffing liberal pukes!!! --Tyr

aboutime
10-28-2013, 09:13 PM

tailfins. Is there anything, that anyone who isn't YOU does... that you like, or that doesn't offend you?
What is your favorite Holiday? Do you have a favorite?

What a sour, miserable guest you might be at anyone's party, for any reason.

Because you dislike Halloween...nobody should be allowed to enjoy the day for the kids?

What a WET BLANKET you must be.

Abbey Marie
10-29-2013, 04:33 PM
I don't agree with this overly-sensitive coddling, but I particularly don't get how a cowboy costume is crude. Don't real cowboys still actually wear hats and boots, etc.? Isn't it more insulting to make them feel their chosen clothing is crude?

Abbey Marie
10-29-2013, 04:35 PM

A school in PA recently did just that- but they claimed that they cancelled the school's annual Halloween parade because it had religious overtones. Parents were in an uproar over the cancellation. The local news stations covered it. Same parents I'll bet who don't blink an eye when Christmas decorations and carols are disallowed.