PDA

View Full Version : Japan will stand up to China, says PM Shinzo Abe

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Have I or have I not been pointing out China's rise and its increasing opposition to us along with it going on an agenda to flex its muscles? Look at this...

http://www.politicalforum.com/showthread.php?t=329330&p=1063238050#post1063238050 Japanīs PM: "We will stand up to China, the world wants it", Can Japan stop Red Hans Japan will stand up to China, says PM Shinzo AbePM Shinzo Abe (file image) China has criticised Mr Abe for his hawkish nationalism
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Q&A: China-Japan islands row
Abenomics 'may take decade' to work
Profile: Shinzo Abe

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says other countries want Japan to adopt a more assertive leadership role in Asia to counter the growing power of China.

Mr Abe told the Wall Street Journal there were "concerns that China was trying to change the status quo by force, rather than by the rule of law".

Relations between China and Japan have been strained over recent years.

China said on Saturday that if Japan shot down Chinese drones, this would be considered "an act of war" by Beijing.

The statement was referring to reports that Mr Abe had approved defence plans that envisaged using air force planes to shoot down unmanned Chinese aircraft in Japanese airspace.

Another contentious issue between the two countries is the dispute over a group of islands.

The islands, in the East China Sea, are controlled by Tokyo, but claimed by Beijing.

But analysts say the nations' rivalry reflects the power shift created by China's meteoric economic and diplomatic rise while Japan has been mired in a two-decade economic slump.

China has warned against Japanese nationalism in a region where Japan's colonial expansionism is still bitterly remembered.

'Act of war'

In the interview, Mr Abe said he had realised that "Japan is expected to exert leadership not just on the economic front, but also in the field of security in the Asia-Pacific".

He promised policies to counter Japan's waning influence.

Other countries wanted Japan to stand up to China, Mr Abe said without naming any.
Disputed islands
The archipelago consists of five islands and three reefs
Japan, China and Taiwan claim them; they are controlled by Japan and form part of Okinawa prefecture
Japanese businessman Kunioki Kurihara owned three of the islands but sold them to the Japanese state in September 2012
The islands were also the focus of a major diplomatic row between Japan and China in 2010
Q&A: China-Japan islands row

"There are concerns that China is attempting to change the status quo by force, rather than by rule of law. But if China opts to take that path, then it won't be able to emerge peacefully," Mr Abe says.

"So it shouldn't take that path, and many nations expect Japan to strongly express that view. And they hope that as a result, China will take responsible action in the international community."

The interview comes days after Mr Abe was reported to approved defence plans to intercept and shoot down foreign unmanned aircraft that ignore warnings to leave Japanese airspace.

On Saturday, China's defence ministry responded saying: "If Japan does resort to enforcement measures like shooting down aircraft, that is a serious provocation to us, an act of war. I was pointing out this 6 years ago at my old forum and the usual suspects called me crazy there. Now 6 years later here comes more proof. Now a nation sits up and takes notice! A dozen members there laughed at me and tried to make fun of my posts about this. I brought it up here and had pretty much the same response a year ago. Face it , I see farther down the road than most. Just like in 1972 I wrote an essay and predicted that CHINA WOULD TAKE OUR NUMBER ONE SPOT IN 40 TO 50 YEARS. 2012 was the 40 year mark by 2022 they will have done so. We are falling rapidly and they are rising faster everyday. Most haven't a clue how far Obama intends on taking this nation down!-Tyr

Gaffer
10-29-2013, 09:37 PM
china's sounding more and more like north korea these days. I consider flying drones or anything else into Japanese air space is an act of war itself.

And Tyr, your not alone on the China issue. I have been watching that closely myself. I just don't agree the Philippines will be their first expedition. Japan and Taiwan will be their first efforts. Japan as a bullying effort and a direct assault on Taiwan. That will be the real test of their military and a test of the US resolve. If they do it before the present regime in this country is ousted they can get away with it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-29-2013, 09:57 PM
china's sounding more and more like north korea these days. I consider flying drones or anything else into Japanese air space is an act of war itself.

And Tyr, your not alone on the China issue. I have been watching that closely myself. I just don't agree the Philippines will be their first expedition. Japan and Taiwan will be their first efforts. Japan as a bullying effort and a direct assault on Taiwan. That will be the real test of their military and a test of the US resolve. If they do it before the present regime in this country is ousted they can get away with it. Amigo lets not haggle on who will be their first test case. Lets haggle on who will blast their ever loving asses off and spit on their damn graves come hell or high water. I've drank my third whiskey and coke and the moods strikes me to kick some ass . Of course the wife will settle me down but good should I bellow too loud here but she is in bed now and can not read this screen.. ;):laugh:;)--Tyr